1. from the horses mouth
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Google Analytics Bounce Rate

Doesn't seem to be a forum for the analytics so I am posting here.

I only use analytics on one site, and am just investigating the bounce rates of various keywords.

I was wondering if people knew what was a good an bad bounce rate?

This site has an overall bounce rate of about 30%, is this good or bad compared to others?

cheers
    c5
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I think that 30% bounce rate for Google visits is a good rate. More than 70% are probably too much.
  5. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by channel5

I only use analytics on one site, and am just investigating the bounce rates of various keywords.

This site has an overall bounce rate of about 30%, is this good or bad compared to others?

cheers
    c5
    Seems good to me..7 out of every 10 people who visit your site are finding what they look for. BAD bounce rates IMO are the near 100% as this tells google that no one is finding what they are looking for...
    Live the moment
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Yeah, 30% is a good bounce rate.

It would seem to me 45 - 50% is an average bounce rate.

I am trying to collate some statistics on user behavior. It would be good to know what other sites are getting.

Sites I manage range from 40% - 90%.

Once you have good content and a low bounce rate the trick is then to convert all those visitors you have!

PS: There is a web site analytics forum somewhere near at the bottom of the list.
  9. No Profile Picture
    I'm No Expert
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Both of my site are getting just less than 30% bounce which i consider good.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I think it depends on the landing page - what if it is completely answering the searchers question? I think too you should be balancing it with your ads (if you have any on the page) click thru rate (wish analytics tracked the number of visitors that saved the individual page to favorites). Look at bounce rate as a symptom, don't make a diagnosis until you have all the information.
    Keyword Meta Questions Answered
    HTAccess Redirects

Adversity is a spice when added to life makes the dish more interesting.

A magic marker is a SEO's "Easy Button".
  13. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by NavyCS
    I think it depends on the landing page - what if it is completely answering the searchers question? I think too you should be balancing it with your ads (if you have any on the page) click thru rate (wish analytics tracked the number of visitors that saved the individual page to favorites). Look at bounce rate as a symptom, don't make a diagnosis until you have all the information.
    Good point.. Bounce rates must be timed a bounce after 10 seconds does not mean the same thing as a bounce after 3 minutes
  15. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Very True

Also, with th use of AJAX, it is possible that someone signed up for a news letter or even purchases a product within the same page.

I don't believe Google Analytics can track an AJAX request (not sure, does anyone know for certain?). So in this event someone could have clicked on an AdWord, completed a CPA event and Analytics would still rate the visit as a bounce.

Hmmm.....
  17. Contributing User

cheers
    c5
    Bounce rate measures the percentage of people who come to your website and leave instantly, in other words measures the quality of traffic. That means each person who entered the site on that page viewed that page only, then left the site.

So, less bounce rate is a good indication. If your bounce rate is high or it is increasing than you want them (visitor) to love your content (Call-To-Action content).
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Mine is 42 %. I think it is too high (i am an online printing shop: flyers, posters and so on), but it might be ok with google
  21. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

cheers
    c5
    http://forums.seochat.com/website-analytics-76/ ;-)

I'd say anything below 30 is good. I have keywords that are 60-80% and some keywords are very hard to improve on, there is just so much in that little keyword that you can be sure you can't please everyone, alot of times you can only please a minority of them.
    If you have average bounce rates of less than 20% I would love to analyze your site and figure out how your doing it as it takes alot to accomplish that.
    -DONíT BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!
  23. Somehow Contributing User

I have average bounce rate of 36% for one of my sites, but it varies significantly for different keywords (from 0% to 88% for 10 most popular searches).

The 0% is for keyword combination that is my primary product and the whole site is build around this.
    The 88% is for a service I removed from our offer as it was hurting our reputation and did not bring any profit, however we kept a good SERP for some time after the removal.