Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google Analytics bad for traffic?

Hi there,

I wrote about a month ago to see if anyone else had had a 25% drop in general site traffic for no apparent reason...

My site hasn't suffered from any of this "dropped pages" stuff, nor is it over optimised... there seemed to be no apparent reason for the drop.

I then realised that I'd installed Google Analytics across the site. The traffic drop started within days of installing the tags. So, I decided to remove Analytics completely last week, and within 2 days our traffic is back to "normal"...

I won't be using Analytics again.

Anyone got any ideas on this?
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If you were using analytics and watched a traffic drop you should be able to tell us exactly what traffic disappeared.... that is the key to answering your question. Anything that anyone offers here is merely speculation. The best info is in your hands. You have an opportunity to educate us.

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees : Nice one Egol... Sharp as always :)
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. search engine voyeur
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I use analytics for a number of sites, and have not seen anything untoward as far as negative traffic or influence on the website.

The Google resultset is volatile to say the least at present, and i would be more inclined to pursue this avenue as a reason for the temporary loss in rankings rather than Analytics.
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

EGOL is right that you should check to see what traffic you are missing out on. Like is it yahoo? Maybee the javascript code has some broken tags that break the page for some bots but not others?

There is no reason that properly installed Google Analytics won't work.

I use it on a few of my sites and think it is excellent!

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees : it IS excellent - shame the number of sites is limited or I'd use it on all of them :(
    • googler agrees : I love analytics. It's about the best tool Google has come out with
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi again,

I can understand why people may be sceptical, as there are so many variables which may affect traffic.

All I know is - when I installed Analytics, my Google traffic went down 25% for 6 weeks. Once I'd de-installed it, the site was back to normal. All the "lost" traffic was from Google.

I suspect Google uses Analytics data to filter non-relevant traffic from a site...

As a commerical venture, I'd rather have the non-targeted traffic as well as the good stuff, so I won't be using it again.

I've been doing SEO since 2000, I can pretty much guarantee that Google Analytics took away my traffic.
  11. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

We have an analytics fourm now if anyone wants to participate.

http://forums.seochat.com/website-analytics-76/
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by tofftrader
    I suspect Google uses Analytics data to filter non-relevant traffic from a site...
    I'm pretty sure that's what's happening. I have an automated referral script on my site that posts links back to domains that send me hits. There are a lot of cheaters on the list all the time but they never appear in my Analytics stats. Google must filter them out.

I'd rather have the non-targeted traffic as well as the good stuff, so I won't be using it again.
    Why would you want fake traffic? They're just packets sent to your site with fake IP addresses. That's how they cheat my script, anyway.

If you wanted ten million hits a day, just write a script to send yourself ten million hits a day. It doesn't mean anything useful.
    Last edited by Mr Mojo Risin; Jun 21st, 2006 at 03:34 PM.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin
    I'm pretty sure that's what's happening. I have an automated referral script on my site that posts links back to domains that send me hits. There are a lot of cheaters on the list all the time but they never appear in my Analytics stats. Google must filter them out.

Why would you want fake traffic? They're just packets sent to your site with fake IP addresses. That's how they cheat my script, anyway.

If you wanted ten million hits a day, just write a script to send yourself ten million hits a day. It doesn't mean anything useful.
    When I say I want untargeted traffic, I don't mean "fake" traffic.
    My site is a small business portal (UK)... but we get quite a few people searching for "broadband UK" for example. That phrase is not something we've actively sought to attract, but we can use the untargeted traffic and place ads where appropriate IMO.

So, I'd rather get some extra untargeted traffic than have Analytics filter it out - advertisers want good PV/Unique numbers too, so the more the better.
  17. Ditzy
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Seems to me Google might be interested to hear your story if you could put it to them objectively. If I had a product that was counter productive, I would want to know about it.
  19. My first avatar here
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by crxvfr
    Seems to me that you would not be able to use the tool to analyze the traffic BEFORE you installed it or AFTER you remove it?????
    If you had a good hosting you can always check your old stats, i dont really use a tool i make reports by myself... i need to try google"s but i think the way i do it is good, is just methods that applys the same conept....

btw.. like my new avatar?
    I am a content scrapper. If you need to obtain and process big data, pm me.
    I have a multi-threaded spider that runs on several ec2 instances.
    I have been crawling twitter, and other big guys for a while. Outputs: SQL, XML, CSV, MYSQL, TXT
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by tofftrader
    When I say I want untargeted traffic, I don't mean "fake" traffic.
    Gotcha.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by crxvfr
    Seems to me Google might be interested to hear your story if you could put it to them objectively. If I had a product that was counter productive, I would want to know about it.
    Google's main source of revenue is AdWords at around $5B / year, I believe. Analytics is a free tool their going to use to encourage as much AdWords use as possible. From a company that has some of the most advanced software in the world, I'm sure they're putting a lot of effort into making sure Analytics works properly.
  25. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

OK.... the only way that I can imagine Google using the analytics data to influence SERPs is if the pages were less engaging to visitors than the average other pages in the same SERPs. If your pages have lots of bounce off traffic then maybe Google would reduce your rankings. I doubt that Google has such close ties between the analytics and the SERPs at this point.

So... If your pages are highly engaging then I would conclude that this is coincidence. Strange but not impossible. If your pages are really bad for engaging visitors then maybe this is cause and effect.

Comments on this post

• tstolber agrees : This kinda goes hand in hand with Google Coop - which I am still trying to get my head around!
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree with EGOL that Google is probably not using Analytics to affect SERPS for the time being. But you can bet in the future they will give higher SERPs to pages that visitors spend 5 minutes looking at rather than pages users spend 10 seconds looking at.

....then again, who's to say they're not doing that already with the data collected with the Google Toolbar and Google Web Accelerator?
  29. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

IMO, google should have their head examined if they are not using bounce off times, toolbar data and any other visitor engagement metrics that they can get their hands on.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: