1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google Analytics -- accuracy of Visitor counts

I have tried several CPC tactics using display ads and keyword buys and in all cases, I have seen an enormous discrepancy between the number of clicks delivered (even in the case when we used our own Ad ClickTags to determine the # of clicks v. the vendor's #s) and the number of 'visits' generated by that source (in Google Analytics). No redirects are occuring and, in most cases, I've even added the tracking code google requires to show the referring source (umd_source, etc). This is also not an issue of visits v. page views as both are way off from the number of clicks delivered. In both cases if clicks are 100%, I am seeing between 19% and 56% of those showing up as 'visits'. A HUGE discrepancy that impacts my effective cost per visit/click.

Has anyone experienced this?

I know about the issue of crawlers being stripped out of Google Analytics and that being a factor when comparing raw log files against a 3rd party reporting tool. That's not the issue I'm looking at, yet. What I'm trying to understand is why there is such a discrepancy in the # of clicks purchased and the # reported in Google.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Google analytics won't show any data from visitors who have Javascript turned off but this should not cause a huge discrepancy as most users have it turned on.

Check the stats program supplied by your web hosting supplier and see if there is a major difference between the two.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I'm not an adwords expert, but I know that the Google Analytics help offers several pages for answering the question why the stats are different. I don't know whether you already read all that information and whether it is sufficient to explain the significant differences, but maybe it helps...