1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google algo, penalty, or something else?

Back a number of months when Panda first was announced we shortly thereafter started to see a decline in the serps. Prior to this we did very well at the less competitive phrases and ok in the competitive ones. We now don't rank in the top 100 for most of our phrases now. We hired an SEO firm (and I'm being polite with that phrasing) to evaluate our situation and after $2k all we got was we had an inbound link problem with overall quality. We removed most of those links and google has not blinked or reflected any of that change. So I am seeking guidance as to what could be causing our issues as I have little faith in trying to pick and hire another SEO firm.....

Thanks for any help.
    findmeapad.com
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by SEOJunky
    We removed most of those links and google has not blinked or reflected any of that change.
    Why would you think Google would inflate your ranks when all you did was remove what it didn't want?

The only way to recover is to "make a great website"... e.g. acquire earned links.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I guess I just have real questions as to whether that was a problem or not. All I had was an SEO firm making that claim and I questioned at that. But I do understand what you are saying........
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by SEOJunky
    All I had was an SEO firm making that claim and I questioned at that.
    And good for you! But you are just another person who has been taken for a ride.

"You have a spammy backlink profile" may have been ONE valid issue with your site. Sorting this out would save you from future Google algo updates where you may have been banned and dropped completely from the SERPs. So it would have been positive advice in that sense but not, as fathom says, advice about improving your rankings.

You're in the real estate business which is highly competitive so how much (apart from the $2k) have you spent on SEO in the last year. Now have a look at your competitors. How much do you think they have spent?

I only ask because I get an endless line of enquiries that start "I used to rank highly and now I don't anymore" which when questioned becomes "and I also did chuff all to maintain my rankings"....
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  9. Agency SEO

So you've got a real estate site targeting ALL of Texas and Georgia and you spent a whopping $2000.00 and you STILL aren't dominating the industry?
  11. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    So you've got a real estate site targeting ALL of Texas and Georgia and you spent a whopping $2000.00 and you STILL aren't dominating the industry?
    That's because realtors don't make money on houses they don't sell... it's the banks' fault!

The banks got $750 billion dollar bailout and the realtors got screwed.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : The realtors weren't the only one that got screwed