1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google AdWords & PageRank

There's some debate in my office regarding Google Ads boosting (or not boosting) PankRank and/or rankings in natural search results.

I personally don't believe that having a large number of Google Ads increases your PR but I guess it's possible due to the amount of traffic that a large AdWords campaign could send and perhaps Google measures that as part of their importance ranking algorhythm. Still, I find it hard to believe that by simply having lots of Google Ads that drive traffic, you're automatically going to achieve better rank. Furthermore, I don't think any of this has anything to do with achieving a high position in organic SERP's (which is the #1 goal here), so why place any stock in PR in the first place?

I'm really interested in hearing what some of the seasoned SEO experts here think about this.

Thanks!
    Last edited by rmchi; Dec 14th, 2005 at 10:09 AM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Talking

Originally Posted by rmchi
    There's some debate in my office regarding Google Ads boosting (or not boosting) PankRank and/or rankings in natural search results.

I personally don't believe that having a large number of Google Ads increases your PR but I guess it's possible due to the amount of traffic that a large AdWords campaign could send and perhaps Google measures that as part of their importance ranking algorhythm. Still, I find it hard to believe that by simply having lots of Google Ads that drive traffic, you're automatically going to achieve better rank. Furthermore, I don't think any of this has anything to do with achieving a high position in organic SERP's (which is the #1 goal here), so why place any stock in PR in the first place?

I'm really interested in hearing what some of the seasoned SEO experts here think about this.

Thanks!
    Actually what you are thinking of is correct. Google adwords never increase your PR. What increase the PR is links and only links. Also Adwords will not help you in any way in getting organic top rankings in SERP's in any search engine at least in the mean time; we donno if later it may have some weight if google modified its algorithm to include the traffic coming to your site which is possible.
    That's my opinion buddy. Wait to hear from the experts too.
  5. SEO Elite
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Heres something to rock the boat: I had a website that sold a service and ranked great in MSN, yahoo, and on the first page in google. When I chose to sell google adwords on that site instead of selling the product at all, my google rankings went from top 10 to nowhere to be found in a week or two! I kept every bit of the content except signup here was google ads. I emailed google and no reply.

The site is still indexed in google, not banned. Also this was before jagger so it was not jagger and the site has over 1200 links.

So let me throw this out there:

If google sees a site with too many adwords on it and great rankings its possible that they could consider this a spam site and throw out your rankings.

So I think its possible that google adwords on your site could negatively effect a website. Try that on for size.
    Last edited by pteam; Dec 14th, 2005 at 04:27 PM.
  7. Contributing User

I did experience what Pteam has suggested when I significantly increased the variations on particular keywords in Adwords. It's sorta like Google says "if they have an ad for that particular keyword why give the site a good listing in the regular index for that keyword".
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I've started Adwords campaigns with dosens of variations on a keyword phrse and cancelled such campaigns. I've never seen any correlation to SERPs.

SEPRs go up and down. These movements may correspond with a full moon, a morning when I took a cold shower instead of hot, having eggs for breakfast instead of cereal, etc. That does not mean that any of them have a causal relationship.

This issue has been raised several times here. I have yet to see any real evidence that there is a correlation, and all of the big Adwords users I know have the same experience.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  11. SEO Elite
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Brandall,

In my opinion there was nothing else done to the site that could have caused the rankings drop. I think that if google sees per say example 2 sets of adwords on every page that it could be a adwords site setup only for that reason or in some eyes a "spam site". Even though in this case I paid somebody to write the content.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by pteam
    Brandall,

In my opinion there was nothing else done to the site that could have caused the rankings drop. I think that if google sees per say example 2 sets of adwords on every page that it could be a adwords site setup only for that reason or in some eyes a "spam site". Even though in this case I paid somebody to write the content.
    A couple things...
    First, i think you are talking about Adsense, not Adwords. Adsense gets displayed on your site. Adwords is purchasing a PPC terms to be displayed in Google's results or on other people's sites. I was talking about Adwords not causing anyone to drop. As for Adsense, I doubt that it causes drops either, but I have less experience and have run no controlled tests on that.

Second, just because you see no other reason does not imply that the reason you attribute is correct. Every day people come here and post about their site dropping for no reason.

Think about it. Thousands of webmasters, many very well versed in SEO, use Adsense and Adwords every day. If there were such a dramatic effect in play, don't you think more of us would have seen it? The much more likely explanation is that something else caused your drop (a change in algo perhaps) and not the Adsense, and certainly not starting an Adwords campaign.
  15. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Adwords or AdSense do not affect your PR or SERP placement. Adwords aids with directed traffic and AdSense helps with a bit of revenue on the traffic that any given page realizes.

There has been thread after thread and experiment after experiment on the subject. I have seen no proof or data that proves otherwise. Paranoia keeps the rumors alive I guess.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  17. SEO Professional
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by pteam
    Brandall,

Keep in mind that even though you may think that your site has remained the same, many things can happen without you being aware.

1. link partners dropped your link
    2. articles on article sites become de-indexed as they get pushed further down the totem-pole.
    3. competitors increasing their links and/or onpage optimization factors.
    4. losing links to inner pages, which in turn send a bit of PR to your homepage.
    5. links to the sites linking to you could have been dropped, decreasing the power of the link pointing to you.
    6. an important site linking to you could have expired (domain expired), losing all rankings and authority... which in turn would affect all sites it links to.
    7. and so on and so forth.

I'm not doubting what you're saying at all, but these are things that alot of people, me including, typically don't think about very often.

Brad
    Get Your FREE SEO Guide on how I managed to grab the #1 position on Google
    for hundreds of extremely competitive keywords...

==> Get FREE Google Ranking Guide Here!
  19. Contributing User

I did do a test by removing two Adword keywords in the past 24 hours to see if using multiple variations had any effect on the regular page rankings in index. Once removed two corresponding pages dealing with the keywords moved up five positions in index. This could be attributable to normal flux or a multitude of factors.

I may test a little more but Google has spawned me enough work with what seems to be their never-ending hi-jinx.
  21. No Profile Picture

Last edited by rmchi; Dec 20th, 2005 at 12:23 PM.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by brandall
    A couple things...
    First, i think you are talking about Adsense, not Adwords. Adsense gets displayed on your site. Adwords is purchasing a PPC terms to be displayed in Google's results or on other people's sites. I was talking about Adwords not causing anyone to drop. As for Adsense, I doubt that it causes drops either, but I have less experience and have run no controlled tests on that.

Second, just because you see no other reason does not imply that the reason you attribute is correct. Every day people come here and post about their site dropping for no reason.

Think about it. Thousands of webmasters, many very well versed in SEO, use Adsense and Adwords every day. If there were such a dramatic effect in play, don't you think more of us would have seen it? The much more likely explanation is that something else caused your drop (a change in algo perhaps) and not the Adsense, and certainly not starting an Adwords campaign.
    Actually, I am talking about AdWords, not AdSense. I aware of the difference between the two and have a great deal of experience working with the first. Also, initially this post wasn't in regards to a drop in PR.

The debate really was over the value of having ads that point to a specific URL on a website. From what people have posted, I appear to stand correct and can now pass this information on without talking out my...

As for dropping in rank, it's funny you should mention that. Because about two days ago the URL in question dropped from a 5/10 to 0 over night and no external back links are showing now. Where they've gone, I'm not sure.

Thanks for the feedback!