1. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Google adding search by voice

This could have massive implications for SEO. Will people search the same way by voice as they do by keyboard and mouse. I would think not

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/06/14/google.voice.search/index.html?hpt=hp_bn11

To me this is the begining of the next stage in Search. Microsoft announced something similar on xbox a few weeks ago

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/xbox-to-allow-tv-voice-control/story-fn3dxity-1226070855665

Times may be changing.....
    Live the moment
  3. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

http://www.google.com/insidesearch/
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

will it really change though? as in will people really use it?

Lets face it.. our phones have voice search, our computers have voice recognition.. however by the time you've pressed the buttons to start it , you can have typed in the search anyway. I used voice yeterday to dicate an article.. it probably took three times as long as typing it in. Most of us dont sit there with a headset on either (and mic'ing up at a distance is never reliable).
    This is the bit that clinches it as pretty much useless though, as they're using this as one of their main selling points?
    'Use it in the kitchen, in the garage or anytime your hands might be full' . If my hands are full or i'm jacking up the car.. why the hell would i be searching for stuff on the net. I'd read this as 'we really cant find much of a use for this, and neither will you'.

Does anyone use voice commands other than maybe for hands free in a car? really?
    Last edited by freeflyer; Jun 18th, 2011 at 04:45 AM.
  7. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by freeflyer
    will it really change though? as in will people really use it?

Lets face it.. our phones have voice search, our computers have voice recognition.. however by the time you've pressed the buttons to start it , you can have typed in the search anyway. I used voice yeterday to dicate an article.. it probably took three times as long as typing it in. Most of us dont sit there with a headset on either (and mic'ing up at a distance is never reliable).
    This is the bit that clinches it as pretty much useless though, as they're using this as one of their main selling points?
    'Use it in the kitchen, in the garage or anytime your hands might be full' . If my hands are full or i'm jacking up the car.. why the hell would i be searching for stuff on the net. I'd read this as 'we really cant find much of a use for this, and neither will you'.

Does anyone use voice commands other than maybe for hands free in a car? really?
    I think it will grow as the software gets better. With greater tech conversion people will sit on there sofa with there computer displayed on the TV and say CNN - read headlines and say - Greek crisis - etc

I think it will be huge as it gets better.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

true.. the only problem with that (i'm an ex sound engineer, but not for a few years) is that although the technology is there for the voice processing.. its not there for the mic.

Internet TV's are good.. but in reality a bit of a pain. I'm running an HTPC , and to be honest i'd rather nip upstairs to the PC, than run a browser on the telly downstairs.
    I think voice recognition has its uses.. but its still just a gimmick and not practical in the everyday world. AS an opinion anyway. I cant see anyone using the voice search feature.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I think that we have to wait for long time until voice search will be improved and really useful for users
  13. SEO Since 97

I've been in the telecom industry for 30 plus years and what I've seen is the standard telephone is on the way out with no rebirths in it's future...the cell phone or personal communication devices are going stronger than ever but not because of it's ability to talk to each other one on one, it's all the bullsh*t in em. It's the personal communication devices thats been changing things and I don't think their done yet.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Okay, maybe I'm just not a visionary, but I can't imagine searching for things via voice on anything but a phone. I mean, I know it'll happen, but I just can't imagine getting as precise results. Speaking your search queries at this stage would feel like speaking another language a lot of the time.

I'm sure it will be a factor - but a game changer in the near future?

Not seein' it.
    Interested in SEO? Follow me: @cstechjoel or visit I'm The Best Looking Man In The World (According To Google!).
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think it could be very useful for disabled people.

As for myself, I'd never use it, call me old fashioned, but I like searching the web the way it is.
    Last edited by samdds; Jun 20th, 2011 at 10:16 AM.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

that is true. but anyone who is unable to use a keyboard generally have speech recognition set up anyway.. muc more comprehensively than a button on a search bar.

Gimmick.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees