1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Goog crawling and listing Adwords URLs

Hi -

Recently I have noticed some URL listings appearing in a site: search for my domain which can only have been crawled via Adwords advertisement.

I use tracking parameters to monitor the effectiveness of keywords/ad groups/campaigns.

These URLs with tracking parameters appended are appearing in a site: search for my domain.

These URLs ONLY appear in my adwords listings - nowhere else.
    So how/why has Google not only crawled these, but listed them??

The issue of duplicate URLs to the same content, and hence duplicate content is worrying me to say the least, but to effectively monitor my PPC performance I need these tracking parameters in place!

What are your educated opinions on this?

Is there someone and Google Search or Adwords I can query this with?

Has anyone else ever seen/heard of this happening before?

Thanks for your time.
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I have noticed that my "alternative ads" that I use to replace adsense blocks when Google can not serve their ads are being crawled and showing in my yahoo site explorer stats.

Like you I am concerned about this.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your reply Egol.
    yahoo Site explorer is where I first found evidence of this.
    Now I see them in with a site: search in Google as well.

We do not advertise over the content network, only Google and its partners.
    This would mean Adsense would not display my ads - correct?

So it is even more disconcerting.

Could you elaborate on the "alternative ads" - do you believe that to be the cause?
  7. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If you are a webmaster and want Google to send ads to your site (for a share of the income) you can sign up for adsense. The ads come from adwords advertisers who have their campaigns set up to go out to content network sites.

Google usually has lots of ads for my site but on those pages where context matching ads are not available in enough quantity to fill all of my ad space, google will send public service ads which do not pay. I can override the public service ads by preparing an ad of my own that fits the 160x600 or whatever format. Google will then substitute that URL in the adspace in place of the public service ads.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for elaborating Egol - I am familiar with Adsense, however not with the "alternative ads" which are displayed when there network is down (as you mentioned), so thank you for that info.

I do not advertise on the Google content network (adsense), so my ads SHOULD NOT display there... another spanner in the works.

I have NOW noticed URLs some of my other PPC campaigns indexed/listed in Google as well!

MSN adcenter
    Findwhat (MIVA)

As of yet I do not see any Overture/Yahoo URLs which have been crawled/indexed, but a further two independent PPC programs have been crawled and indexed by Googlebot...

What in the hell is Googlebot doing!
    i'm extremely concerned now!

MSNadcenter has no Content advertisement (well that changes today 25th january when they launch content ads)... So that would effectively mean Googlebot directly crawled an MSNadcenter Ad. (FYI - I do not see these "new" listings in Y! site explorer, only Google)

I for one cannot fathom any other way.

MIVA is inherently poor, and operates almost exclusively over content network (almost), so I suppose I could understand a MIVA listing getting crawled, because well, that would be par for the course from MIVA.

But MSN adcenter, Adwords, and Miva - all crawled all indexed?

Action is needed, and needed swiftly!
    I am considering ammending all my tracking paramters in all my PPC campaigns, a rather monumentous task to say the least, but it must be done, in order to setup redirects for these URLs which have been crawled by Googlebot.

The inherent problem there is - this will only be a temporary fix.
    If after redirecting the old tracking paramaters, and appending new ones to my PPC campaigns and Googlebot or Yahoo decide to crawl PPC ads again, it would have all been for naught.

Still worried....still confused....still losing hair over this