1. G-Blows
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Good idea for Optimization?

I had an idea the other day and have been coding a few pages to try it out.

So i'm just wondering if this is a good idea, and if it is well then hopefully it will help
    other people. My site has texts, articles, tutorials and documents on a very broad
    subject range so it lends itself to a wide variety of content.

What i have been doing is using a tool like Digital Points keyword searches and plugging
    in various search terms. When i find a term with a high search rate, then i plug it in to
    Google to see how many results show for that term.

If it's a highly searched term, but yet very few Google results then i make a page targeting
    this term.

For example, the term "atomic bomb" has over 5,000 searches per day but only 744,000
    results returned. So i make an informative article targeting the term.

The term "nuclear bomb" has just 823 searches a day, but with 1.5 million results so i don't bother
    making a page for this because the search/result ratio is too high.

I figure it's easier to get page 1 on these smaller results while still having terms that are likely to
    drive the most traffic to my site.

Anyhow sorry if this is has been mentioned before or is common knowledge but if it's a good
    idea i figure the method could help some people. I will see how it goes, and i realize it won't
    really apply as much to sites with a dedicated subject matter.
  3. hctibselgoogtonmai
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

It makes good sense but I've found results returned and competiveness aren't the same. I'd lean toward having a look at prog (avg top pr's) or allintitle:
    My Favorite Tools: Web CEO - Ranking Reports, Keyword Research, Link Analysis | Hosting.com - U.S. Windows Hosting | ISAPI Rewrite - Rewrite & Redirect for Windows
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Seems good idea, but one have to select key word very carefully to make targetted traffic to what you want to sell or to show in your site?
  7. G-Blows

Originally Posted by FogHorn
    It makes good sense but I've found results returned and competiveness aren't the same. I'd lean toward having a look at prog (avg top pr's) or allintitle:
    True, but i figure i would generally have a better chance of getting a page 1 on a term that displays a few hundred
    thousand results rather then one showing several million.

Competitiveness will vary depending on the term, but these are all highly searched terms with minimal results in the
    engines. With such a broad range of topics i will be covering, at least some should rank high and provide entry
    pages for visitors. Plus i'm adding content of interest at the same time. I will monitor these pages positions and
    the number of visitors entering from them when they get indexed to see how it goes.

Off topic: How did you add you avatar? We registered at the same time and both have over 100 posts
    but it wont let me add any avatar.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The idea is pretty good. As FogHorn remarked, PR featured SE is more than useful in this case.

But, the reason for my reply consists in determinig good ratios. DigitalPoint, which feature very good tools, use WorldTracker and Overture services for suggesting KWs. The problem is that these services do only some few statisitical computations analyzing past searches. WorldTraker is not so accurate. Overture seems to be for keyphrases.

However, my AwStats shows that daily I've ~50 visitors for a KW for which I'm on #4 rank on Google and WorldTracker says that there are only 62.3 searches/day. Obviously, far from the truth.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Smile Good Idea

It's a Good Idea, But not so much
    Effective, but you keep this idea as a milestone may be in future This Idea become more effective after come changes, well done friend keep it up.
    Last edited by rustybrick; Jul 9th, 2004 at 07:17 AM.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by bangbang
    True, but i figure i would generally have a better chance of getting a page 1 on a term that displays a few hundred
    thousand results rather then one showing several million.
    that isn't neccesarily true either. for one of the terms I optimized, over 6,000,000 pages were found. the #1 page had less than 200 backlinks.

something like "search engine optimization" (#1 has 6,800 backlinks) has less than half that many searches, but you can be sure that it's a MUCH more competitive term.

the number of players doesn't determine how comepetitive a term is, it's how hard they're playing.
    Get Relevant Links! Buy Links from the TextLinkBrokers!
    Building Quality SEO Blog - Editors Wanted | Free SEO Tools
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Great post disgust - couldnt have said it better myself.