1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Cool Good idea Bad idea Real Estate.

I'm analysing competitors in the Real Estate market that I'm trying to rank in.

One of them has created individual town landing pages linked heavily from the home page of their site. When I say heavily I mean there's about 3-400 individual links to placenames on thei homepage of their site. Each of these pages is then unique from a content point of view.

Anchor text is highly optimised.

Is this a good strategy or would too much pagerank be pouring out to internal links from the (highest) PR page? Or indeed would it look spammy to Google? Thoughts / opinions and fact needed folks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Is it effective? You tell us if they are ranking for their cities.

Would I do something like that?

No... if I was making cookie-cutter pages with all content the same and with only the name of the city changed...

YES... if I had several unique property photos, home descriptions and data listed on each of those pages.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

If each page has unique content, and some nice backlinks to go with it, it's not a bad idea. But if you were to do this and you have next to no backlinks, the majority of the pages will end up in the supplemental index, therefor you would have wasted a lot of time farting around.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Probably few people actually ever hit their homepage. And I'm sure they are not concerned about it at all.

I have a pretty big site that has had less than 500 people hit the homepage as an entrance point in the past year.

I have received traffic from over 4,000 keyword phrases on this site and it's a cash cow from those phrases pulling in thousands of visitors each month. So what if they don't come through the front door?

People enter in to the page where the information is from Search.

The money is in these phrases.

I have another 600+ page site. Same thing. They come in from another entrance.

I don't care about the HomePage. I care about the money and the pages that make money for me are NOT the homepage.

How many people do you think hit the Amazon.com homepage compared to their other pages?

You don't make money with PageRank you make money with traffic!

Another example: I am ranking #2 in Google for a very specific keyword phrase. The PR of the page is ZERO. The #3 page right below me has a PR of 4!
    Last edited by MarketingIQ; Aug 9th, 2009 at 01:20 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks for the reples guys.

@MarketingIQ

Just to clarify the homepage's mention in this instance has less to do with visitor experience.. and more to do with the pagerank that page passes to other parts of the site. It is this I'm more concerned with.

Having a homepage that looks like a directory listing surely has a negative impact on other parts of the site, doesn't look natural and on the whole weakens the site's trust? No?