1. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Goggle Webmaster Tools not verifying with .html file.

I just added the site like it says to in GWT, and now i am on the part where you verify site ownership.

I downloaded the .html file from goggle like it says, and then uploaded it to the server.

I made sure that the file is there, and then clicked on the link that has the domainname.com and the name of the html file.

I get an error saying:

Error 404: NOT FOUND!
    This domain name has just been registered.

This is not true, the site is older and ranks high.

I see there are other methods of verifying ownership, but i would rather just do this method.

Has this happened to you before? If so, what did you do to get around it?

Cheers.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Some of the alternative methods are to me kinda of risky.
    Like for instance:

DNS (Domain Name System) record that proves to Google that you own the domain
    Its asking me to create a subdomain, is there any risk doing that?

This site ranks high, and i want to be ultra cautious before i go changing anything for the sake of google...

Cheers
  5. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Please, i really need some help on this...
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Why do you need google to know your the owner of this site? what does google need that information for.
    use a 3rd party for your tools, why tell google everything your doing with your url?

I've never used any of google's free tools on any of my sites. I don't trust them, why do you think there free?

sorry I can't help, but I'm sure someone can.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Please, i really need some help on this...
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Are you sure you are typing the right domain name? And getting the full URL correct? Is it the correct case sensitivity. Windows servers don't care about case sensitivity but Linux and Unix do.

Can you visit the file on your site?

One thing I have seen a few times is people uploading a blank file and naming it the URL that Google said. This used to work with a blank file, however now there is some content in the file that Google needs to parse.

Can you post the domain and file like www(dot)domain(dot)com/google-verification-file.html
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by tstolber
    Are you sure you are typing the right domain name? And getting the full URL correct? Is it the correct case sensitivity. Windows servers don't care about case sensitivity but Linux and Unix do.

Can you visit the file on your site?

One thing I have seen a few times is people uploading a blank file and naming it the URL that Google said. This used to work with a blank file, however now there is some content in the file that Google needs to parse.

Can you post the domain and file like www(dot)domain(dot)com/google-verification-file.html

I am doing exactly what google says to do. The file is on the webserver, it's wide open as far as permissions are concerned.

Ok, here is one question, if the website is in another account of webmaster tools, which it is, from someone else that
    was working on it, could that cause problems for me when i try to add the site to another account of webmaster tools??
  15. Online Business Builder
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

if you can successfully verify your ownership, you can add it under your account even if the website is existed in someone else account.

I have successfully done it before for many clients who have discontinued the service of previous SEOs.

Originally Posted by seoguy2013
    I am doing exactly what google says to do. The file is on the webserver, it's wide open as far as permissions are concerned.

Ok, here is one question, if the website is in another account of webmaster tools, which it is, from someone else that
    was working on it, could that cause problems for me when i try to add the site to another account of webmaster tools??
    Lead, follow or leave the way...