1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Smile Getting too many links too fast??

Hi

Recently, in the last week, we managed to secure about 15 - 20 links from websites from our niche or close to:

They all were Pageranked
    They all are indexed and blogged and updated
    They are all relative links
    They are all using keywords we want to target to point to our URLs

We however have noticed that from #3 / #4 positions for a very competitive term we dropped to #9#10 and now for some of our keywords we are on the top of Page 2 and can't seem to get out of this rut.

I have heard getting too many links too fast brings a trigger... since we have stopped will this settle itself out for the better or are we always going to be tagged as hot - does it not settle down ???

Thanks appreciate any feedback
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by aanddsports
    Hi

Recently, in the last week, we managed to secure about 15 - 20 links from websites from our niche or close to:

They all were Pageranked

We however have noticed that from #3 / #4 positions for a very competitive term we dropped to #9#10 and now for some of our keywords we are on the top of Page 2 and can't seem to get out of this rut.

I have heard getting too many links too fast brings a trigger... since we have stopped will this settle itself out for the better or are we always going to be tagged as hot - does it not settle down ???

20 links would not cause a filter. The problem is something else.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Thanks for the reply. What if these were links on blogs (where some blogs have literally many pages and the link is in the footer template) so the link is repeated on category pages, tag pages, comment pags and post pages and archive pages etc etc????
  7. Digital Marketing

Thanks for the reply. What if these were links on blogs (where some blogs have literally many pages and the link is in the footer template) so the link is repeated on category pages, tag pages, comment pags and post pages and archive pages etc etc????
  9. No Profile Picture

Is this IYO or do you have some backing up? Not meaning to sound punchy but I have heard different..
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Is this IYO or do you have some backing up? Not meaning to sound punchy but I have heard different..
    Listen to his statement. 20 links is NOTHING. There are sites that get away with 100's, if not 1000's of links a day. Look at the sites on Digg.com, the generate MASSIVE links.

20 links is NOT your problem.

You probably lost a link that was supporting your weight on the first page. Back track, this is not the problem.

$ echo
    www.joshz.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email josh@joshz.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  13. No Profile Picture

Hi

They all were Pageranked

It's hard to answer wheather your link buying led to the problem you're experiencing now. Usually - no, unless the websites where you put your links break rules themselves. There are a lot of reasons why it could happen to your website.
  15. Digital Marketing

Think about it. If you could get penalized for 20 inbound links, all you would have to do is get those same 20 links for all of your competitors and sink them also.

I have seen cases where inbound links did cause harm. But it sure wasn't 20.
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

What was the link velocity/total before you got the links?
  19. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by AlexTampa
    What was the link velocity/total before you got the links?
    Great question Alex. I thought the same thing but he said he was ranking for competitive key words, so I guessed he had at least some good links.

Curious what OP says though.
  21. No Profile Picture

First post here - hi all!

Sometime last year, Google filed a patent regarding the position of links (on a page) being taken into account to determine their value.

I'm sure this means for example - that links placed in the blogroll (and therefore appearing on every page of the site) are devalued - whereas contextual links in the main body of the page are given 'normal' weighting.

I would say that footer links - being sitewide - would be devalued for the same reason.

I've been tracking my link building in more detail than usual this year to see if I can prove or disprove my theory.

On one particular project we gained a whole load of new blogroll links (on very good PR sites) that should have really boosted our positions - but actually had zero effect. The total backlinks reported for the site jumped from 560 to 9000.

We definitely did not suffer any penalty - but didn't gain any positions either (were already at #8).

As others have already said, I would say your penalty wasn't from getting 20 new links.

If the theory is true, then Google have a few choices about how to apply the effects of the change:

a. Only apply it to newly discovered links

b. Apply to all new and historical links in an algorithm/update

Either way, we've been sticking to one contextual link per site for the past few months - and it's actually reduced our costs.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Re:

You said that pages are indexed but have you checked that whether they are indexed on a previous date or after putting their links on them because till the time the pages are not indexed with your links you wont have nay effect in ranking.
  25. No Profile Picture

Maybe you've lost some links ?

To be natural, you have to get also nofollow and bad quality links.