1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

getting list in directories free: can it be done?

Hi chaps and chapettes,
    I have a new site which is up and running and attracting maybe 100 visitors a day. However, I'm not hitting the Google search engine with a lot of search phrases. Take for example - the site being about France - the phrase I want to register 'booze cruise to France'. Not a lot of competition, but many of the guys who are at the top are simply threads in message boards like 'we went on a booze cruise to france in 1903 and it was vey nice...'
    The reason why they are scoring highly is because they're at a university or somesuch with hundreds of links in.
    Great, we all know the more links in the better. Trouble is, I've shot off about 40 requests to people, following all the rules like putting links to them first and so on, and hald about 3 links back.
    Right, so what about getting listed in the directories? YAHOO/GOOGLE are paid. DMOZ is impossible to get into because it just collapses at submission point (thanks DMOZ guys, been like that for months but they don't bother notifying you before you spend an hour fooling about.
    ZEAL is o.k. for non-commercial, but my site is (meant to be) commercial. Maybe if it makes money I'll spend some of it adverstising, but not until.
    Anyway, I've seen on one of these boards a post about getting into other directories: has anyone managed this/can reccomend directories to submit to, or is anyone coming lately at the huge disadvantage that YAHOO entries, which spawn dozens of others entries, are there for the old timers - free - but can't be got without hard cash by newcomers?
    Thanks in advance
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Alan,

I am am also the owner of a website based upon the Travel Industry, so if you need any assistance please feel free to PM me.

Also I would be interested if you could put a link to my site and I will do likewise.

PM me for URL and further information.

Darren
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Alan,

Something that's hit me straight away about your site .. Title! VERY important for Google.

Put some of your keywords in the title and you will notice a BIG difference. Especially if your competition is weak..
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

... and directories are useless..

Don't pay to be listed in Yell.com and other directories like these. DMOZ is unfortunately not performing .. very few hits from them.

If you are having trouble submitting check that your firewall is switched OFF. The DMOZ forms do not like firewalls..
  9. Supercalifragilistic
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Here's a new directory that is currently free. The owner is a mod at the IHY forum:

http://www.websavvy.cc/

Some major directories (GoGuides, JoeAnt) offer free routes to entry if you are willing to put in some time becoming an editor.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo