1. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Noj
    A large enough percentage are from indian sites...

If you want to rank build more US links

google doesnt look at your design, its going to be looking at

domain, content ,link profile
    Thanks for your reply...
    but How did you checked my backlinks, that they are from Indian websites, Is there any tool which can tell the hosting address of the websites from where my website is linked??
  3. I Never Finish Anythi
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

As per my research on this topic {since we faced this problem and eventually eradicated it} there are a few points to take care of:

1. Have you outsourced your LB to a company in India?

- Because, if that's the case, it's quiet possible that the builders are opening the website, checking it's ranks using anchors/search queries

- They are sending e-mail requests to Indian webmasters/LB'ers in India which causes a steep rise in direct traffic due to the hyperlinks being opened from e-mail.

If that keeps on happening for a long time {1-2 months and more} the website can eventually suffer with the so called "Geo-Mistarget" {that's just a term I used/coined while I was explaining this during my research} That is because, google can hook your website to a particular region if you get constant but increasing traffic from one particular region.

And that usually happens unintentionally and can be due to a few words, KW's that are used in the "mis-targetted" region.

Just for an example: AirPlane and AeroPlane - Airplane is mostly used in the US while the latter is used in the UK mostly. That can lead to a Mis-Target as well.

2. Where are your links coming from?

- Links, if from Indian websites, or from links.html, resources.html/php or such similar low quality pages, most of the times such offerings come from India and other asia countries where LB jobs are outsourced.

- Not only the location/hosting of the linking websites, BUT there is also a very important point to consider while building links, and that is, From where is the traffic coming to the websites which link to you. One very easy process to check this is to use Alexa site info to see from where a website is getting most of it's traffic. (though just an estimate, but considerable)
    Do check your backlinks and see where are they getting traffic from.. should be most of them from India and other non-US countries.. I can speculate.

3. Also note that location Meta tags in case of google is useless. Just bing loves them. you can't rely on them.

It has to be your content or links or traffic that is at fault.. The hosting factor alone cannot help much with the changed google algorithms.

P.S: That is just my research for a couple of websites that suffered from the same problem and I was able to rectify it later on, but I am sure there can go nothing wrong when implemented on any website that has be to region targetted. Any contraindications could be due to other factors at play.

Closing: Check your links/LB process, content and inflate your traffic from the US (u can use PPC) to see some improvements.
    Last edited by lovekills_s; Oct 20th, 2009 at 08:10 AM.
    Link Diary - Build Links Fast & Easy. Similar to Linkmarket, with option of three way link exchange and anchor rotation.

**"Save SEO Industry - GO VIRAL!! - Tips and Tricks ."**
    **"Live, not just to survive, But to Rule."**
  5. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I didnt I looked at the symptoms and guessed, I also know im right.

Originally Posted by jimmy03
    Thanks for your reply...
    but How did you checked my backlinks, that they are from Indian websites, Is there any tool which can tell the hosting address of the websites from where my website is linked??
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Bottom Line , Make sure that you are not getting links from INDIAN sites
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Re

Thanks for your detailed explanation.
    Well i had also started to rank well in Google.com, but the thing is that as fast as my rank in google india is improving, it's not improving in Google.com
    Well as far as links are concerned more than 80% links are from non Indian websites..
    Anyways i need to rethink and had to work with a new workplan.
    Should i ban the Indian Ip's from visiting my websites??
    Last edited by jimmy03; Oct 20th, 2009 at 06:45 AM.
  11. I Never Finish Anythi

No, I think you should not ban any IP unless you are very sure you'll not get any conversion. I think India is a pretty good market when it comes to jewelery. If not much I guess you can make atleast 1-2 sales a month from the region while exposing more of your website into the US..

Just my thoughts..
  13. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User

20% enough to be flagged as indian

when we wanted a site to geo target the UK, we pulled the figure of 12% Uk links out of the air and it seemed to work.

Thanks for your detailed explanation.
    Well i had also started to rank well in Google.com, but the thing is that as fast as my rank in google india is improving, it's not improving in Google.com
    Well as far as links are concerned more than 80% links are from non Indian websites..
    Anyways i need to rethink and had to work with a new workplan.
    Should i ban the Indian Ip's from visiting my websites??
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by CoolRider
    Bottom Line , Make sure that you are not getting links from INDIAN sites
    India is one big bad neighbourhood. Pls to discount links from an entire continent.

Comments on this post

• lovekills_s : enough of your racist remarks!
  17. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Re

Originally Posted by Noj
    20% enough to be flagged as indian

when we wanted a site to geo target the UK, we pulled the figure of 12% Uk links out of the air and it seemed to work.
    70% links are from US websites, 20% from UK websites, and rest are from different countries..
    I checked my backlinks from siteexplorer., and then confirmed it from whois, and i hardly found Indian websites that are linking to my websites....
  19. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User

Im not sure how you identified where all your links are coming fropm so quickly.

all .coms are not seen as american, as you are now finding out

70% links are from US websites, 20% from UK websites, and rest are from different countries..
    I checked my backlinks from siteexplorer., and then confirmed it from whois, and i hardly found Indian websites that are linking to my websites....
  21. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Re

No no..
    i am not guessing it by .com, that i know, that all .com are not us based websites..
    I had checked it by Domain Tools....(Whois ip)
  23. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User

No no..
    i am not guessing it by .com, that i know, that all .com are not us based websites..
    I had checked it by Domain Tools....(Whois ip)
    That still only gives you where its hosted not where google sees it targeting.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Re

So how exactly should i proceed to get rid of this problem?
  27. I Never Finish Anythi

A quick fix (to solve the "majority traffic from India" problem) is to do a PPC for sometime with the regional settings for the Ad to be displayed in the US regions only.But that'll be a $$$ affair!

I am sure you've read the post #17 above..
  29. No Profile Picture

Question

I have same problem, but finally i'm get result..
    I have targeted India country in webmaster tools....
    after I have targeted World wide so I change country and transfer to world wide...then doing social bookmarking, forum posting, comment posting, and afterall I achieved my target.....
    so you doing to change your country in webmaster tools and doing promotion on it...