1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

To Geotarget or not?

Hi all

Question 1:

I'm based in Country A and supply services to people in Country A

Does it make sense to Geo-target in this case?

Question 2:
    if I did GeoTarget for country A and sometime down the road, moved to Country B, can I update the Geo Targetting or what would you recommend?
  3. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

You should select targeted geolocation in your google webmaster I have found good results once I selected this option for one of my client sites.

As per your 2nd concerned you can change you geolocation as you moved for 2nd geolocation.

There are many other metrics on that Google gives the advantage for site ranking but this one of worthy factors, so you should utilize this.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If you select your desired location in the Google Search Console to target specific country Lets Say A and then later you want to target Another country Lets Say B and you changed the Geo target to B then it can effect your ranking of Target country A as you changed the setting to B. So if you want to target multiple countries I would recommend to use the default settings and not to target any specific country in the Google Search Console location settings.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google is using IP address where domian is hosted, or TLD's like .co.uk or .us . ca .it to determine where to rank this website (also on site content but it could not work if you think that mentioning 10 times "Furnitures in New York City" in content of furnitures.co.uk will rank you for keyword "Furnitures NYC")
    The ways around it:

Option 1:
    Use href lang tags to point to right versions of your websites, targeting visitors abroad
    example:
    mysite.com targeting USA visitors ( if you are based in US )- no href lang needed
    mysite.com/gb/ version of a site targeting UK visitors, will rank in Google UK
    mysite.com/it/ version for Italian visitors and will rank in Google Italy

Option 2
    Geo targeting in Google Webmasters Tools (will not always work if you transition your website from example from USA to Germany )

Option 3
    Combination of the informations above:

example
    If you want to target USA and UK

Buy co.uk hosted in Arizona/UK and is targeting USA.