Thread: Geo filtering

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Geo filtering

Hi guys,

I was wondering if one of you experts could possibly shed some light on an issue that I have. I am very new to seo so bear with me.

From what I have read in order to appear in google's country specific results, you must either have a .local domain E.G. a .co.uk or be hosted in the target country. The site in question is hosted in the US and although it has a .co.uk domain name, this redirects to .com. Unfortunately due to internal policy restrictions the site cannot be hosted as .co.uk TLD or be hosted in the UK. It would however be possible to change the redirect to a forward which would grip the .co.uk domain so when a user types it into the browser address bar it won't change even when in theory he/she will be accessing content which is on the .com site hosted in the US. The question is would this be sufficient to appear in google.co.uk when searching for pages from the UK?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would think that somebody here could provide you with a good DNS entry technique that would solve your problem of hosting a foreign site in the USA. You may host in the USA, but your DNS server(s) can be anywhere in the world. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? For a few dollars extra a year, find a DNS server in the desired country, and enter your target domain there instead of with your American service provider.

Google is able to determine the likely location of most hosts without a domain name such as .uk or .jp. Whether or not they use that data effectively is another matter. I would assume that they do, but I have not had any association with a site outside the USA, so I cannot say for sure.

Hosts can be identified, with the exception of low-bandwidth home sites, because they are generally at central network access facilities, with stable and unchanging IP addresses. So my bet is that Google can easily determine that a particular host is in Canada, Australia, or the United Kingdom, rather than the USA.

I am very interested in a related question, which is the effectiveness of Google's geographic ad targeting. I think it is related because Google is obviously analyzing clients with respect to geographic location, and doing so quite imperfectly. I have tried targeting ads on Google for a non-profit organization that I volunteer for, and I have found that the ads almost never show up where and when they are supposed to.

Back when most users were on dial-up, it was common knowledge that the phone connection was often to a different geographic location.

Now that most (power) users are on a broadband connection, it is apparent that the internal networks of major broadband providers make it impossible to reliably target advertisements to precise geographic locations, beyond the level of targeting entire countries. In theory, it is supposed to work, but networks are not organized with that in mind.

Howard Metzenberg
    Highland Park, IL
    Last edited by Howard Metzenberg; Oct 19th, 2004 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts
  5. No Profile Picture

Howard thanks for your detailed reply.

Unfortunately the decision of hosting or where the DNS server is located
    is not mine to make. If however there is no alternative solution your DNS suggestion
    would probably be the best option, so thanks for that. So for now you would need to assume
    the following, I cannot have my .co.uk as TLD and I cannot move my hosting or DNS from the US.
    The reason is company policy I wont bore you with the details.

From what I have researched having either a .co.uk domain name, UK hosting or both would qualify
    a site to appear in pages from the UK searches. If the above statement is true then I am wondering
    if a gripped .co.uk domain would be treated the same by google as a .co.uk TLD. If it where
    then I would assume that this should solve my dilemma. Just to explain what I mean by a "gripped
    domain" it would be a forward where the .co.uk domain would not redirect to the real .com TLD
    regardless of what page the user would be on. Basically the .co.uk would remain static in the
    client.

Regarding your question about the effectiveness off googles geographic add targeting. Are you
    sure that google targets it's adds by analysing the clients IP to determine geographic location?
    Could it not be that the adds are targeted by the search options selected by the user. If for
    example I paid to appear for a key phrase and my target audience was the UK could this not simply
    be done that if the user selected pages from the UK in their search and the key phrase used matched,
    that my listing would be shown? I know this is over simplified and I am sure there are other factors
    including language etc.

Anyway thanks again Oliver
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

TLD is important, not location of a DNS server

Originally Posted by Howard Metzenberg
    somebody here could provide you with a good DNS entry technique that would solve your problem of hosting a foreign site in the USA. You may host in the USA, but your DNS server(s) can be anywhere in the world.
    Where the DNS servers for a domain is located is not important. In fact, for Network Solutions they distribute their DNS servers throughout the world in replicated servers.

What is important is the TLD (e.g., .uk or .fr) or the location of the ISP.