Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

The AdWords Effect: Using Google AdWords will hurt your rankings!

I just completed a test on two of my new sites durring the last ten weeks and it shows that using Google AdWords can hurt your ranking.

About 18 months ago I launched a network of 16 different sites. Some of the 16 sites (all with different domains on 4 servers in 3 different cities) were directory sites and thus had some limited amount of non original content. The focus of my network was one main site which was a forum with 100 percent original content. I launched all the sites the same week and because the forum was my focal point I bought PPC advertising from Google AdWords for that site. To date I have spent around 40K on adwords. I noticed that the other 15 sites that I was not paying to advertise on got more pages indexed more quickly than the 100 original content forum site.

A little more than two months back, because of this apparent google adwords penalty that I had discovered, I decided to do a litte test.

Ten weeks ago, I launched two other sites, both solid, no tricks and 100 percent original content. Both have three revelent in bound links from three revelent sites. I launched both of these new sites the same exact day and they are both about the same exact subject matter with about the same amount of pages.

I am spending $12 per day on one of these two sites with Google Adwords. It is oviously not in Google best financial interest to index pages for sites that are paying for advertising as fast as those that are not.

THE FACTS ABOUT MY TWO TEST SITES

1. Both launched the same day two month and a half ago
    2. Both with the same amount of in-bound links
    3. Neither have any out-bound links
    4. Same IP address for both sites
    5. More or less the same amount of pages
    6. Good solid pages, no tricks
    7. They are even the same exact domain only that one is a .biz and one is a .net

GOOGLE ADWORDS SITE
    Results for: ***>www.xxxxx.biz
    Engine Count
    Google 0

NON GOOGLE ADWORDS SITE
    Results for: ***>www.xxxxx.net
    Engine Count
    Google 7

Has anyone else seen this with their sites?
    Last edited by drawoh; May 15th, 2006 at 06:48 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture

Surely this cant be true!! Its has to be a coincidence??? I'm worried about this as I have just started a site and am using adwords until I have spent more time on SEO.
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

This is coincidence.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  7. No Profile Picture

It's True

Since the launch of the 16 original sites that I wrote about above, I have seen other instances of using adwords for a couple of my other sites where is seems to have also hurt the rankings. One of my other (totally unrelated) sites is very solid with around 50,000 hits a day and I am still using adwords for that site. I am still not even in the first 500 results for the main serch term for that site. I do fine for yahoo but I do not even begin to show up in Google which gladly takes around $110 daily for the PPC's to my site. My forum on the other 16 site network was a free site so I recently decided to drop the adwords program. I stayed out of the Google top 500 until about 4 months after I stopped using adwords and now it is in the top 20 for that search term on Google. I have not added ANY back links to that forum site for more than one year so besides the few posts that I get the only change was people adding posts and dropping adwords.

For all these reasons, I decided to do the the experiment above for the two (almost identical but both original content) new sites just to see if it was true.

If you are going to use adwords....

I would not point adwords at any site that had any long term importance to you. By the way here are the results for my adwords test site using the SEO indexed page tool on this SEOCHAT site.

SITE USING GOOGLE ADWORDS AFTER 10 WEEKS

Results for: www.xxxxx.biz
    Engine Count
    Google 0
    Yahoo 3
    MSN 41
    Alta Vista 3
    AlltheWeb 3

How many others are reading this post that have used google adwords for a long time and the site that they are paying to promote not showing up anywhere on google?
    Last edited by drawoh; May 15th, 2006 at 07:00 PM.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

My main site has had a excellent google ranking since before the Florida Update (remember that? It was a loooooong time ago).

I have also had Adwords on the same site on and off since then. Whenever the overall business is down, I crank up AdWords and when business is crisper I pause it. These alternating periods can run for a month and a half or so.

I have never ever noticed a relationship between the two. I concur with EGOL, it's just a coincidence.

raz

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : Yep, same here... adwords on and off sometimes by season, sometimes just because we are busy with other things and want to cut the customer load.
    #include <Cognac.h> -The only code I know How to Write!
  11. No Profile Picture

Not referring to a site already indexed

I am referring to a site that had adwords pointed at it since the hour it was launched.And that was before it was ever indexed on Google. I have had no experience with using adwords on sites that were already well ranked or already indexed by google. I am sure Google would not do this to a site that was already well ranked or indexed because it would be way to obvious.

How can you explain the non adwords site being indexed in about 10 days while the almost identical site (no dup content) for the same search term has still not even been indexed as of yet. They were both launched 10 weeks ago, they both have the same links on the same pages from my other revelent sites and both have been crawled by google.

It's the the adwords...

Like I said before it is not in googles interest to have paying sites rank well. If my site ranked well today then I would stop using adwords.

This is really unethical of Google as far sa I am concerned!

Comments on this post

• raz agrees : Same here
    Last edited by drawoh; May 15th, 2006 at 09:12 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

were the inbound links from the same ip range as any of the test sites?

were the sites on seperate servers?

does google like net better than biz?

seems like you still have some variables, although it was a decent first test.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Did you think that it might be because of the extension?

I think that the extension might have something to do with it, but it's only speculation...

I beleive that .com carries more weight than .net and .net carries more weight than .biz

I myself only trust .com. .net and .org sites I certainly don't trust .biz! It sounds to much like a meds site or gambling site!

Cheers!
    Bruno
    http://www.xuzo.com
  17. My first avatar here
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by pataya
    I think that the extension might have something to do with it, but it's only speculation...

I beleive that .com carries more weight than .net and .net carries more weight than .biz

I myself only trust .com. .net and .org sites I certainly don't trust .biz! It sounds to much like a meds site or gambling site!

Cheers!
    Bruno
    http://www.xuzo.com
    i dont think this is true, .gov and country extentions may have effect under the country ,but i dont think .net and .com got a difference in the rankings, not even the domain name got much influence in the rankings.
    I am a content scrapper. If you need to obtain and process big data, pm me.
    I have a multi-threaded spider that runs on several ec2 instances.
    I have been crawling twitter, and other big guys for a while. Outputs: SQL, XML, CSV, MYSQL, TXT
  19. No Profile Picture

Adwords slows you from being indexed by Google

The links are comming from two other servers in two other different locations other than the one my two new sites are on. I have 3 revelent sites on those two other servers that each have a link right next to each other on the same page and each pointing to the new two sites.

Same links, launched the same hour of the same day, same target words but the only difference is that the one using adwords is not indexed by google yet. Yahoo, MSN and several others have indexed both sites but only google has not the one that I am paying them to advertise on. Like I said before I think it is a question of money. Just like I have done for this site, I am sure a lot of people have used adwords since the first day they have launched their site. If the site was not already indexed then google could play this little game they seem to be playing. Hey, I would do this if I were google! I would only do it the way they seem to be doing it, for non indexed sites so it would not be so obvious as to what they are doing.

I can understand as to why one site might rank better than the other because the content is different for each site but why would one site be indexed in 10 days and the other site that was launched the same day still not be indexed after 74 days. The only difference is that the non indexed site uses adwords and indexing it faster would cost them millions (millions of other non indexed sites using adwords) in ad revenue.

1. Same 3 inbound links for of the two sites on the same pages of three revelant sites on two other servers.
    2. Non adwords site gets indexed right away
    3. Adwords site is still not indexed after 10 weeks.

This is not the first time this has happened to me by using adword but it is the first time I could really prove it by I launching two sites for the same search term with the same number of and position inbound links just for this experiment.
    Last edited by drawoh; May 16th, 2006 at 01:46 PM.
  21. visiting Margaritaville
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by drawoh
    1. Same 3 inbound links for of the two sites on the same pages of three revelant sites on two other servers.
    2. Non adwords site gets indexed right away
    3. Adwords site is still not indexed after 10 weeks.

This is not the first time this has happened to me by using adword but it is the first time I could really prove it by I launching two sites for the same search term with the same inbound links just for this experiment.
    Knowing the above, you dont think that sameness may not have caused a harder look by google?

Comments on this post

• crxvfr agrees : Thats what I was thinking
  23. No Profile Picture

The Adwords Effect

No I do not thinks so because the other network that I have for the 16 original sites are also aimed for one keyword and only the adwords one was neglected. If 16 sites for the same key work are ok spread across 4 servers then 2 sites on the same server should be OK

I think that google techs read these forums so I will not list my sites, but I will say this much.

Besides the new site that I have used for the experiment, I have spent a total of around $50,000 on Google adwords promoting 3 or 4 different sites in my network of sites durring the last 36 months.

I own 4 servers in 3 different cities, all with different class "C" IP's

I have a three different networks of websites spread accross the 4 servers. None of my websites have ever been banned or de-listed on google. I also do not play games or use any spamming and other tricks on any of my sites.

My three different website networks promote two different tourist destinations and another network related to the pet industry. Some of my sites get as much as 50,000 hits (each site) per day with around 5,000 uniques

The Pet industry network has a total 14 sites.

The first tourist network has a total of 16 sites and I also spent thousands advertising with adwords for the forum of that network. That is the site that I refered to as not ranking well with google until I canned the adwords 4 months ago.

That is when I decided to do this experiment!

My new network, or my second tourist network of sites has a total of only two sites right now, each of these two sites are the ones that I used for this experiment. I will be adding another 14 sites just like the first tourist network so I will have more data as time goes by. But I fully expect my non adwords sites to rank better just as the experiment has indicated and also just like the first tourist network of sites has done.

I hope that I am wrong because I really like using adwords to start my sites off with a bang.
    Last edited by drawoh; May 16th, 2006 at 02:37 PM.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

"by I launching two sites" On the same server
    "same search term" Different extentions and text
    "same inbound links" To the same IP block at the exact same time

You may have had a better test to launch one of the sites on a differnet server since you have 4 now. I'd even think that delaying the second site by a day would make the test better.

You may have enough info to show that G likes Net over Biz within the same IP block,when launching at the same time, for the same keywords, with the same links, but not enough to say google is scamming you/us
  27. No Profile Picture

.biz or .net I use both

If I did them at different times then one might say that there was a difference because of the google crawl! The only difference is content and since they were both well written and original text then that should not cause one to be indexed and the other not to be indexed. I put the same amount of effort into both sites and in the end I am most likely just going to use the one that was not given this adwords effect penalty. This is the second time this has happened to me, it just that the first time I could not really prove it.

.biz or .net, I use both of these extentions with most of my other 30+ sites and I have never seen any relation to the speed of which a site is indexed in relation to the extension. Nor does it seem to have any effect on the rankings.

If I were google I would be doing the same as it appears that they are doing now.

I just wanted to warn everyone about it and ask if anyone else had experienced the same.....
    Last edited by drawoh; May 16th, 2006 at 02:51 PM.
  29. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Didn't read all these posts.

I am currently running a test (post on here) and I have 4 sites all with the same .org.uk on the end of the domain with very similar domain names with the same links. All submited to Google at the same time with the same content. They are 4 near identical sites.

The indexing paterns are completely random and one site has only just been indexed whilst the others have been indexed for over a month!

The rankings for the same keyword are also completely different!

I think this is pure coincidence.
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: