1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

The Future of "Rel=author"

Can a piece of content include authorship mark-up for more than one author? For instance is a blog post was co-written by two people or a second person contributed to an existing piece, could they both get authorship credit for this?

My line of thinking is that so much crap/regurgitated content is produced in our industry because "thought-leaders" tell us things like 'content is king' and 'guest blogging is the new article submission' and the sheep take it literally and spew out pages and pages of poorly-written 400-word articles peppered with links thinking this is what Google wants.

While I believe guest-posting is a viable tactic (thought there should be tighter control from site owners), I heartily believe that contribution to existing content to make it better should be the way to go. Why regurgitate a topic that can be found 100 times elsewhere when you could spend that time building upon something that already exists and is good but not great and benefit from its existing readership, link authority, etc?

So this brings me back to my original question, can multi-author authorship mark up be used to encourage this?

Thanks
    Rick

p.s. FAO Forum Administrator, if you have time could you please set up a "Video SEO" category (or at least a Content category) and perhaps a Mobile SEO category as I have a tonne of thoughts and questions with no logical place to spill them out. Many thanks
    Like my answer above? I am all over Google+! You may also like my SEO Audit Cheat Sheet.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by chandler
    By the way how would it be possible, suppose two people are writing a blog post but in the end they will have to publish it one website, this website could be related to either of them.
    Hi Chandler,

I was thinking more along the lines of a collaborative effort within one company, or where the instigator posts the content on their site allowing follow-up from an outside source (guest author) - Not publishing the same piece on two websites. Hence does/could Google allow 2 (or more) re=author tags on the same post?

Rick