1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Unhappy Footer back-links work?

Hi.

I typically add my website URL to the FOOTER of my clients websites after I build them but I'm not noticing any of those showing up as back-links.

Are links in the footer ignored by Google?

Thanks!

T
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If they are followed links, they shouldn't be ignored. Also, backlink tools like Majestic or Ahrefs don't catch every link (not sure what you're using), and sometimes it make take awhile to get scraped and pulled in.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Footer links should definitely work, though they don't provide as much juice as one think they would.

A link inside a piece of content would probably generate more juice in the eyes of Google.
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by TommyTime
    Hi.

I typically add my website URL to the FOOTER of my clients websites after I build them but I'm not noticing any of those showing up as back-links.

Are links in the footer ignored by Google?

Thanks!

T
    That's a bad habit you should try and break or at least make them nofollow, it's trying to manipulate the search results and very easy for google to see, by making them nofollow you'll still get traffic from people who likes your work which is how it should work. Don't make google do it for you.
    Generally those types of links anchor text is the company name, and i'll bet your already #1 for that term.

Comments on this post

• Pierre Benneton agrees : Best to keep only on home page if you really want to keep one.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Nowadays, footer backlinks do not work in terms of SEO. Yes, they can generate traffic towards your website but it can not give you quality backlinks. Google is smart enough to identify the footer links and now devalue it. So it's better to nofollow them so that people can still find your website link in Footer but Google will not count this as a step to just get backlinks as it will not pass link juice.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thank you guys! Awesome advice.. I'll change these now to nofollow.

T
  13. No Profile Picture

Take a look at elle.com and revisit your argument about footer links not working.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hi cplay

Hearst Mags which is responsible for the Elle site, it manages its online subscription process and site newsletter preferences. Hearst Mags also manages over 300 mags and sites combined. In your example, all the links in the footer for the most part serve a useful purpose to the user. Subscription links hosted on corporate site, Newsletter preferences also hosted on corporate site, Customer support again, a different site. I see no website design or seo company being given credit here. There is a difference with intent here.

This next part is just speculation on my part.

They also have a huge Adwords budget. They manage 300 mags and sites......

You think Google is going to toss that ad revenue down the tubes, no I think personally that if you spend a few million with Google each year, you may find that the rules changes some ... you may be allowed a little slack, if you don't blatantly abuse the rules. For the couple of links not to corporate, the sites are not un-related in topic matter.
    You may have found a PBN, LOL, that Google tolerates because of how much Google makes off of them. Like I said.. this is just speculation !
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by digitalgreentea
    Footer links should definitely work, though they don't provide as much juice as one think they would.

A link inside a piece of content would probably generate more juice in the eyes of Google.
    Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    Hi cplay

Hearst Mags which is responsible for the Elle site, it manages its online subscription process and site newsletter preferences. Hearst Mags also manages over 300 mags and sites combined. In your example, all the links in the footer for the most part serve a useful purpose to the user. Subscription links hosted on corporate site, Newsletter preferences also hosted on corporate site, Customer support again, a different site. I see no website design or seo company being given credit here. There is a difference with intent here.

This next part is just speculation on my part.

They also have a huge Adwords budget. They manage 300 mags and sites......

You think Google is going to toss that ad revenue down the tubes, no I think personally that if you spend a few million with Google each year, you may find that the rules changes some ... you may be allowed a little slack, if you don't blatantly abuse the rules. For the couple of links not to corporate, the sites are not un-related in topic matter.
    You may have found a PBN, LOL, that Google tolerates because of how much Google makes off of them. Like I said.. this is just speculation !
    I'm not going to do the work for everyone here but run some of the links in the elle footer through ahrefs site explorer and you will notice a BRAND new site in that footer that when you look at the sitewide backlinks received from elle.com THEN you compare that to their metamorphic rise in organic traffic occurring at EXACTLY the same time you will not very clearly the power of footer links from authoritative sites.

It's not a PBN, its a influencer network and you can see this through numerous sites such as techcrunch etc.

It works like this;

1.Giant site buys new site/enters new vertical.
    2. Giant site links to newly bought site/site in new vertical via contextual links and/or footer.
    3. new site receives links/sitewide links and receives ridiculous amounts of organic traffic.
    4. giant site makes $$$ in new vertical/ newly bought site then puts for sale and or sells shares....

It's rampant amongst the top tier websites.

You are correct, there is absolutely one rule for the authoritative sites and one rule for normal sites.