1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Flash site with background HTML

Hi

I ma in the process of having a new site designed and the designer/programmer has asked me whether I would like

Flash site with background HTML

or HTML with flash galleries

My understanding of the first option is that they design a flash site and then create an html version that sits on the server alongside the flash site. Everytime google goes to the server it reads the html version and ranks accordingly.

My question is, is this an acceptable option to go for.

I originally wanted html with embedded flash galleries, but the designer is saying

"flash with an html background is better for the reason that when its all html like a blog, the programmer has to install alot of security features on it, having this hidden html security means google cant see it and stops when it reads it"

I dont want to feel that the wool is being pulled over my eyes here, any advice is greatly appreciated.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I don't really see what would be the security issues with an HTML compared to a Flash page, but yes, a Flash page with an HTML version of the page seen only by visitors that do not have the Flash plugin activated (like Google bot) is a solution.

Read what I posted a few days ago about Flash optimization in answer to a similar question ;-).
    SEO for the dummies
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx.
  5. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

"flash with an html background is better for the reason that when its all html like a blog, the programmer has to install alot of security features on it, having this hidden html security means google cant see it and stops when it reads it"
    I don't know what he means by that. There is no hidden security with HTML. HTML by its nature can't be secure - Hyper Text Markup Language. HTML offers no security features. Any security features you see with a web site come from server protocols such as HTTPS / SSL / or server side authentification protocols.

Also Google does now (and has for some time) read flash and can follow a good amount of the links and content within a flash file.

My suggestion when flash is considered is to use flash to graphically enhance a site but to stick with HTML as the main mark up of the site. You can now create a lot of neat graphical features that look similar to flash effects with AJAX / DHTML and CSS, although that can get quite client heavy so you need to know your site usage stats before thinking too much about that.