1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

First keyword moved down 1, second moved down 50???

Hi,

I have 3 keywords which our website is SEO for. The first keyword, we have moved down 1 spot. The second about 50 spots and the 3rd 2 spots in the last week?

Why would our second keyword move down so much in such a short time period?
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Originally Posted by aussieperfumes
    Hi,

I have 3 keywords which our website is SEO for. The first keyword, we have moved down 1 spot. The second about 50 spots and the 3rd 2 spots in the last week?

For the last couple of months we all have been observing random changes in the Google SERP. This is because, now Google pushes data out of its datacenters on a daily basis, which it earlier used to do on a monthly basis.

Besides this, all the G datacenters are not updated simultaneously. This difference in the datacenters results in all these SERP fluctuations.
    Last edited by pro_seo; Mar 8th, 2007 at 01:35 AM.

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Because 49 other sites moved above it.

Comments on this post

• pro_seo agrees : lol...well said :)
    • fathom agrees : LOL... amazing how people without any answers think others without any info can comment.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

datacenters? not sure what you mean.

is there any information you can share about this change that i can read up on?
  9. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

datacenters? not sure what you mean.

is there any information you can share about this change that i can read up on?
    Read this

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/explaining-algorithm-updates-and-data-refreshes/
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

any suggestion on how to fix this. our second keyword has been moved another 50 spots while our main keyword hasn't moved.

all we have been doing is finding quality backlinks.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

our second keyword is rank 100+ in google from being in page 1.

our first keyword is rank 100+ from being on page 1 but for australia it's still on page 1.

our first keyword has gone down about 10-20 spots now.

what is going on with google? nothing has been changed except we might be exchanging more links and adding them to directories allot more. around 5-10 per day. website hasn't changed. still rank 1 or 2 on yahoo and MSN.
  15. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

1. It was Thursday

2. The moon was full

3. Spring is near

4. Time SPRINGS AHEAD this weekend

5. There was snow falling yesterday

6. Bill Gates is still the riches man in the world

7. Halifax killed it's bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games

8. The year is an odd number

9. The TSX was up

10. 3 times as many jobs were created in February over January

Be that as it may... it stands to reason you 2nd keyphrase ranks would drop 50 spots.

Spending $50 in AdWords will help to improe things.

Comments on this post

• europa agrees : Yeah but #6 doesn't fit.....or does it!
  17. rod@missionop.com

our second keyword is rank 100+ in google from being in page 1.

our first keyword is rank 100+ from being on page 1 but for australia it's still on page 1.

our first keyword has gone down about 10-20 spots now.

what is going on with google? nothing has been changed except we might be exchanging more links and adding them to directories allot more. around 5-10 per day. website hasn't changed. still rank 1 or 2 on yahoo and MSN.
    You're not saying anything that offers a clue... "it's Friday the 9th and Google thinks other websites are as deserving as you"... results in MSN & Yahoo have nothing to do with Google so they're no help.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

if this is the case, it's hard when you base your income on google where one day for some reason why knock you off the SERP completely.
  21. rod@missionop.com

if this is the case, it's hard when you base your income on google where one day for some reason why knock you off the SERP completely.
    BUt Yahoo & MSN ranks are so good!

Start adding new content - excerpting it on mainpage, and continue with the links, do some PPI directories, and look for link bait opportunities.

If as you say you "base your income on google" then you got to invest in Google SERPs... Always Fresh content & links.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you don't understand the things that make for successful optimization on Google and you've built a business where your income is promarily based on where you rank on Google, you should seriously rethink your business plan.

First:
    Ranking in google is primarily about links and content. More links, from more trusted sourcews = better. Fewer links from less trusted sources = not as good. No links = bad.

More, unique, quality, relevent, keyword rich content = better. Less content, duplicate content, poor quality content, content whose topic is unclear, content without mention of the target keywords = not so good.

Internal linking also very important. How many links do you have pointing to each of the pages you are trying to rank from other pages on your site with the correct anchor text?

There are 100 other things that can make a difference, but a site that gets all 3 of these right (right meaning better than their compititors) wins 99% of the time. I don't care what you do with your domain name, your title tag, your meta tags, your alt tags, your Hx tags -- how many blogs you start, or directories you submit to... If your competitors beat you on the above, you will lose.

So, why did your site drop? Like fathom, I haven't a clue. Maybe they never earned the spot they were in. Maybe they got a new site boost and it has run out. Maybe your linking out in such a way that make you untrustworthy to Google and they just noticed. Maybe you did something else with your linking to create a penalty. Maybe they changed their algo in such a way that 100 other sites looked better and you looked worse.

Find out how many backlinks the sites that are ranking best have (not just the page ranking, but the entire domain). Do you have that many? Read their content. Is yours better? How solid is heir internal linking structure - and yours?

Comments on this post

• europa agrees : Ahhh.....it's nice to see I'm not the only one who gets testy every once in a while.
  25. Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    You're not saying anything that offers a clue... "it's Friday the 9th and Google thinks other websites are as deserving as you"... results in MSN & Yahoo have nothing to do with Google so they're no help.
    Specially MSN. I have an old crappy blog that was last updated in July of 06 and it shows up as the third result in MSN for a competitive money term. It really doesn't belong there... third result on page 25 may be but not on the first page...

< Dear MSN, Please note: I am NOT complaining. >

raz
    #include <Cognac.h> -The only code I know How to Write!
  27. Contributing User

Originally Posted by brandall
    If you don't understand the things that make for successful optimization on Google and you've built a business where your income is promarily based on where you rank on Google, you should seriously rethink your business plan.
    Exactly.. Rankings can be a very complex issue and basing your business on one method of gaining income is sure to cause you all sorts of strife and failure.. Whether it's relying solely on Google, or that one big customer that accounts for 90% of your business, diversification can allow you to weather these things and give you an opportunity to fix the problems..

Comments on this post

• europa agrees : Nice respond for a first post. Welcome!