1. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Findings collected from Google "sample links" for penalized sites

It's an interesting recap here. Before going indepth, mind this part:

this information is taken from manual penalisations only and that algorithmic penalisation [read: PENGUIN] should be considered to be different to the findings that we have found while working on both full and partial manual penalties over the past year.
    Now to the findings from 34 bad link examples:

* 29 links => exact match keyword anchor text (this one is obvious).
    * 1 => comment spam with the client’s brand name (!). This one should be specific to manual penalties
    * 1 => an author of an article as anchor text, but it was scraped or copied by a 3rd party. This one is weird: If the reviewer was human, why didn't he/she realize that was a scraper?
    * 1 => client homepage URL, but it was essentially bookmark site spam.
    * 1 => related to PR submission (Didn't Google say PR links won't cause a penalty and will be just discounted???).
    * 1 => partial match keyword anchor text (!). But mind the comment below:

Another interesting figure is that of the partial match example, which carried an exact estimated search volume of 673,000 per month.

Some of conclusions are obvious as well but these should be taken note of:

- Bookmark sites are not safe (I see many people at SEOchat who claim to be still doing "bookmarking to gain natural links" ;))
    - Don’t like comment links that are either used in excess or do not offer a name for the person responsible for that comment. (please mind Matt's vague note that nofollow links in the comments can still trigger penalty http://www.threadwatch.org/node/21182)
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  3. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by Ann Smarty
    (please mind Matt's vague note that nofollow links in the comments can still trigger penalty So THERE IS a (small) chance nofollow links hurt site rankings | Threadwatch.org)
    That is interesting

I remember a handsome young man on the forum posed the question in July 2012 Can NoFollow Links, Linking To You, Hurt You

My question: Google doesn't use NoFollow links in terms of SERP's, but does it use them in identifying webspam? can NoFollow links lead to be slapped by penguin, ie. something like comment spam.
    Last edited by DarrenHaye; Dec 3rd, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill