Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Finally! An official Penguin update!

Matt Cutts tweeted that there was a Penguin update which affects 0.3% of queries. That number scares me. It kind of sounds like there won't be many recoveries.

I'm looking forward to the next few days/weeks/months where we hear of possible recovery stories. The tough thing is that Panda just had a major update this week too. I think Google does this on purpose so poeple don't have a clue what's going on.

Any changes in your sites?

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye agrees : Thanks, Christmas come early for you Marie :P.
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    Matt Cutts tweeted that there was a Penguin update which affects 0.3% of queries. That number scares me. It kind of sounds like there won't be many recoveries.

I'm looking forward to the next few days/weeks/months where we hear of possible recovery stories. The tough thing is that Panda just had a major update this week too. I think Google does this on purpose so poeple don't have a clue what's going on.

Any changes in your sites?
    How long would it take to notice?
  5. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

In 2011 there were 4,717,000,000 searches per day (http://www.statisticbrain.com/google-searches/) 0.3 %that means 14,151,000 searches effected. That is still quite a lot of searches…

However a penguin ‘update’ is not necessarily the same as a penguin ‘refresh’… It may simply mean the algo has had another major tweak…

I would think if there are not major recovery stories it would very much support that slashing links is a waste of time….
    Live the moment
  7. No Profile Picture
    -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by gazzahk

However a penguin ‘update’ is not necessarily the same as a penguin ‘refresh’… It may simply mean the algo has had another major tweak…
    Just to clarify he did say refresh

Weather report: Penguin data refresh coming today. 0.3% of English queries noticeably affected. Details: http://goo.gl/AF5kt
    Last edited by DarrenHaye; Oct 6th, 2012 at 03:23 AM.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I see small improvement on one of my pure content sites. Nothing too impressive though. The site was also (very surprisingly for me) hit by the latest Panda so I can't be sure whether the improvement is penguin or just panda fully rolling
  11. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Here's an interesting article about the difference between an update and a refresh...granted it may be a little dated:

Matt Cutts' Blog

In it he says,

Algorithm update: Typically yields changes in the search results on the larger end of the spectrum. Algorithms can change at any time, but noticeable changes tend to be less frequent.

Data refresh: When data is refreshed within an existing algorithm. Changes are typically toward the less-impactful end of the spectrum, and are often so small that people don’t even notice
    But it's important to also note that he says,

Don’t get hung up on “update” vs. “refresh” since they’re basically the same thing. There’s algorithms, and the data that the algorithms work on.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

No differences in any of my penguin hit sites that I took links down from.

Hahahaha cant tell with this update, but I told a lot of people that taking down links was a waste of time and Google wants to keep penguin hit sites from ever recovering. They don't want to let once upon a time link spammers recover, no matter what they do. So penguin hit sites, move on and stop optimizing for Google.

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye
    Last edited by czoom; Oct 6th, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
  15. Roll the dice.. and live

Has anyone read any reports of recovery anywhere after this refresh?
  17. SEO Since 97

I've seen nothing to the contrary. And with the Matt statement:
    Don’t get hung up on “update” vs. “refresh” since they’re basically the same thing. There’s algorithms, and the data that the algorithms work on.
    It's refreshes of the algo thats happening, so if you've fixed what ever the problem is it should up again. One thing we still don't know is if there is a manual penalty and is there something manually that needs to be at Googles end to make it show up again in the serps. I highly doubt there is, but have zero proof.
  19. No Profile Picture
    -

Originally Posted by czoom
    No differences in any of my penguin hit sites that I took links down from.

Hahahaha cant tell with this update, but I told a lot of people that taking down links was a waste of time and Google wants to keep penguin hit sites from ever recovering. They don't want to let once upon a time link spammers recover, no matter what they do. So penguin hit sites, move on and stop optimizing for Google.
    This is just silly.. and silly is a nice way for me to put it, don't jump the gun.

All the sites supposedly hit by penguin that I have seen have been very low quality, I never expected them to recover..

All though I'm sure there are a few sites out there that will, but I also never expected them to bounce back immediately after penguin was refreshed, I expect it might take a few days.

Let's just wait and see over the next couple of weeks and not jump to conclusions.
  21. Digital Marketing

Cutts has said in the past that they may impose a penalty for a period of time for various crimes against them. Perhaps even if you are free of the penguin issues you still have to wait out your sentence.
  23. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Cutts has said in the past that they may impose a penalty for a period of time for various crimes against them. Perhaps even if you are free of the penguin issues you still have to wait out your sentence.
    Penguin was not a penalty. It just has changed the way juice is transferred. Recovery will only come with new juice (edit: or new content) is my view.

I think the collective SEO 'group think' that has been out there has been leading to so much bad advice being given by 'experts'... It may be recovery would of come if people had not been slashing there links...

The still is no evidence that dropping links has done anything for anyone except made their situation worse...

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
    Last edited by gazzahk; Oct 7th, 2012 at 04:45 AM. Reason: left something out..
  25. No Profile Picture
    -

The still is no evidence that dropping links has done anything for anyone except made their situation worse...
    Gazzahk with algorithms you need to change the signals that mark your site out..

The signal with penguin is spam links therefor they needed to be removed.

Removing links of course would also need to be offset with building new better quality links.

I don't see any problem with the above logic.
  27. Digital Marketing

Penguin was not a penalty. It just has changed the way juice is transferred.
    So before Penguin someone's juice was "transferred" in such a way that they could rank well, after Penguin their juice was "transferred" in a way that they could no longer rank.

Calling it a penalty or an algorithm change or a Black Betty Bam balam is just semantics isn't it?
  29. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by DarrenHaye
    Gazzahk with algorithms you need to change the signals that mark your site out..

The signal with penguin is spam links therefor they needed to be removed.

Removing links of course would also need to be offset with building new better quality links.

I don't see any problem with the above logic.
    Yes that uber logical but I don't see any way Google can continue to allow bad links to harm a website. They can't continue this because just as any other algorithm change we figure out ways around it with this one we'll figure out ways to exploit it.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last
  • Jump to page: