1. Think Out of the BOX...
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Lightbulb Few Important Q & A About G Optimization

Is PageRank still important?
    The short answer is Yes

Are dynamic URLs bad?
    Google says that a dynamic URL with 2 parameters “should” get indexed.

Is URL rewriting OK in Google’s eyes?
    Again, the answer is yes, provided the URLs aren’t too long. While the length of the URL isn’t necessarily an issue, if they get extremely long they can cause problems.

Do you need to use the Google Sitemap tool?
    If your site is already getting crawled effectively by Google you do not need to use the Google sitemap submission tool.

Does clean code make that much of a difference?
    Again, the answer is yes. By externalizing any code you can and cleaning up things like tables you can greatly improve your site.

Do Keywords in the domain name harm or help you?
    The short answer is neither. However too many keywords in a domain can set off flags for review.

How many links should you have on your sitemap?
    Google recommends 100 links per page.

Can Googlebot follow links in Flash or JavaScript?
    While Googlebot can identify links in JavaScript, it cannot follow those links. Nor can it follow links in Flash.

Main author: Rob Sullivan

Comments on this post

• brandall agrees : NIce post. Goo topics for discussion - though I disagree with several.
  3. Twitter @ramnath

Please provide some good rsources for these points Want to know more :

* Does clean code make that much of a difference?

* Is URL rewriting OK in Google’s eyes?

Thanks in advance
  5. Think Out of the BOX...

Sure Here it is:

Again, the answer is yes. By externalizing any code you can and cleaning up things like tables you can greatly improve your site.

First, externalizing JavaScript and CSS helps reduce code bloat which makes the visible text more important. Your keyword density goes up which makes the page more authoritative.

Similarly, minimizing the use of tables also helps reduce the HTML to text ratio, making the text that much more important.

Also, as a tip, your visible text should appear as close to the top of your HTML code as possible. Sometimes this is difficult, however, as elements like top and left navigation appear first in the HTML. If this is the case, consider using CSS to reposition the text and those elements appropriately.

Is URL rewriting OK in Google’s eyes?
    Again, the answer is yes, provided the URLs aren’t too long. While the length of the URL isn’t necessarily an issue, if they get extremely long they can cause problems.

In my experience, long rewritten URLs perform just fine. The important thing is the content on the page.

That was a common theme throughout the call – content is king. Sure optimized meta tags, effective interlinking and externalizing JavaScript all help, but in the end if the content isn’t there the site won’t do well.
  7. Contributing User

Not sure about this one:

The short answer is neither. However too many keywords in a domain can set off flags for review.
  9. Think Out of the BOX...

Originally Posted by ingleslenobel@b
    Not sure about this one:

The short answer is neither. However too many keywords in a domain can set off flags for review. In other words blue-widgets.com won’t hurt you but discount-and-cheap-blue-and-red-widgets.com will likely raise flags and trigger a review.

Page naming follows similar rules – while you can use keywords as page names, it doesn’t necessarily help (as I mentioned above) further, long names can cause reviews which will delay indexing.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by ingleslenobel@b
    Not sure about this one:

As far as I know, it will neither harm nor help your site in Google. But I'd much rather pick a domain name that contains my main keyword and can be helpful in branding. For Yahoo and MSN, if you have a keyword in your domain name, that will help you in the listings.
    360 Web Directory - Submit your site for free! Just recip. link required!
    Link Exchange with PR 5 for all click here
    How to Utilize your PR5 and above pages (Free Logo Design). Check This Out
  13. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

How does PR help your SERPs?
    14th Colony: The hardest working websites online!

Looking for links? Join the Union and don't miss English Grammar rules, tips and explanations
  15. My SE ran out of Gas...
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Are dynamic URLs bad?
    Google says that a dynamic URL with 2 parameters “should” get indexed.
    where can we read on this, please?
    KICHUS - SEO KiD
    "Sooner or later, those who win are those who believe they can."
    • Virtue SEO - "a plan with the virtue of being practical"

SEO Consultant India
  17. SEO Earthquake!

http://www.google.com/intl/en/webmasters/2.html
    Your pages are dynamically generated. We're able to index dynamically generated pages. However, because our web crawler could overwhelm and crash sites that serve dynamic content, we limit the number of dynamic pages we index. In addition, our crawlers may suspect that a URL with many dynamic parameters might be the same page as another URL with different parameters. For that reason, we recommend using fewer parameters if possible. Typically, URLs with 1-2 parameters are more easily crawlable than those with many parameters. Also, you can help us find your dynamic URLs by submitting them to Google Sitemaps. To learn more, visit our FAQ at http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/faq.html.

Comments on this post

• kichus agrees : (0) thanks...
  19. Think Out of the BOX...

Originally Posted by rmccarley
    How does PR help your SERPs?
    Is PageRank still important?

The short answer is yes – PageRank has always been important to Google. Naturally they couldn’t go into details but it is as I suspected. Google still uses the algorithm to help determine rankings. Where it falls in the algo mix, though, is up for speculation. My feeling however is that they’ve simply moved where the PageRank value is applied in the grand scheme of things.
  21. SEO Earthquake!

PR is *not* used to determine SERPs. It is a completely seperate program. My sites are typically in the PR3-5 range and they consistently beat out PR6-8 sites.

PR is not a measurement of content or topics, just raw BLs. If a BL is not relevant, it does not count for your SERPs.

Proove me wrong! Please! But you aren't offering anything up.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by metrixbeliver

How many links should you have on your sitemap?
    Google recommends 100 links per page.

Can Googlebot follow links in Flash or JavaScript?
    While Googlebot can identify links in JavaScript, it cannot follow those links. Nor can it follow links in Flash.
    All of these are at least partially false.

Clean code does not have any effect on your SERPs, unless the code is so bad that it keeps the page from being spidered. As to the idea that KW density goes up by reducing your code, that is absurd. KW density is not calculated based on how much code is in the page. It is calculated based on the words that make up the page's content. Besides, it is an irrelevent statistic in regards to ranking anyways.

Keywords in your domain name absolutely help. They help in more ways than one. First, some value is placed on the words in your domain when determining relevence. This value has always been present (at least for the years I've been watching) and likely always will be, though it has been decreased. Second, and more important, other sites often link to you using your domain or site name. Having your keywords in the domain means you get more links with the anchor text you are looking for, which is indisputably linked to good rankings.

Google does suggest only 100 links on a page, but this is for usability reasons, not crawling reasons. It is probably a good rule of thumb, but there are many instances when more links per page can and will benefit you.

Google can read and follow JavaScript links and Flash links. To my knowledge, they are still not counting these links in PR or any other value, but they are finding and penalizing sites that use these links for black hat purposes. I do not think they are that proficient at it yet, but they will be soon.

As with all things related to SEO, do not just take my word or the word of the other posters on these statements. Test them out for yourself. You can gain a lot of knowledge from the experience of others, but wisdom only comes through experience.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO