1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Fake Street address for client who doesn't want a Google Place page

I have a client who has a google places page for their business. They ordered another site (different url etc) that would be used solely for ranking in the organics, so in essence they would have two spots on the first page for their keywords.

I want to post the second business to business directories, but the client doesn't have another address to give me. Would it be a crime against humanity to use a fake address for this second site just for business directory listings (which are good for seo ranking).

Like I say, the client doesn't want the second site to have a google Places listing.
    Last edited by zulubanshee; Aug 27th, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It would not be a crime however I do not think it's ethical or am I wrong?

If you decide to do it make sure you have an active phone number to confirm some of the better listings.
  5. No Profile Picture

I don't really feel it's unethical, but one may argue that I'm being self serving. The client lives in a suburb of a large metropolitan area, but wants to rank in the metropolitan area. We're not stealing anything from anyone or deceiving anyone in a harmful way.

Incidentally, I did not really express my true concern in the original post, and that was: will using a fake address hurt organic SEO ranking?
  7. Here to help
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by zulubanshee
    I don't really feel it's unethical, but one may argue that I'm being self serving. The client lives in a suburb of a large metropolitan area, but wants to rank in the metropolitan area. We're not stealing anything from anyone or deceiving anyone in a harmful way.

Incidentally, I did not really express my true concern in the original post, and that was: will using a fake address hurt organic SEO ranking?
    You should think of it this way. What happens when someone uses Mapquest or some other service and detects the fake address. You would loose that business.

1. Anything fake smells of SCAM and would IMO hurt.
    2. If the client doesn't want a second site pointing to the correct address, then just don't include it on the site.
    3. I think something other is going on, but just my opinion

To answer your question....
    SEO is SEO. Wether you use a fake address or not will have no effect on your seo efforts. It is just not right and in the long run bad for business I think.
    Here to Help, Nothing More.....
    Good SEO isn't Cheap and Cheap SEO isn't Good !!
  9. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

They send a post card to verify...

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  11. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Yup...Josh beat me on this one too. I recently set up a places account for a client and the option to verify by phone doesn't exist anymore. Rather, you have to wait for a postcard to arrive at the business address. PLUS, they won't accept a PO box either, so that idea's out.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : Good for Google!
  13. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    Yup...Josh beat me on this one too. I recently set up a places account for a client and the option to verify by phone doesn't exist anymore. Rather, you have to wait for a postcard to arrive at the business address. PLUS, they won't accept a PO box either, so that idea's out.
    I fell like a lot of people responding did not read the title of the thread. The client does not want a Places listing. He only wants organic ranking. I only want to have an address to post to business directories and establish a "web presence" for his site elsewhere on the Internet. I post to business directories for SEO purposes. I know it's questionable as to how effective that is, but gives me something tangible I can show the client besides on site SEO.
  17. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Then create sub pages for the different areas.
  19. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I fell like a lot of people responding did not read the title of the thread
    Oops...you're right. It does say that. Sorry!

Hmmm...I'm a little unsure about how having a second website would help you if you're not trying to get a places listing. Is your thinking that the the exact match url will get you rankings, i.e. (www.businessnameCITY.com)? It's not likely to get you too much further.

I would rather create a section/page of your existing site for that city and optimize that section for the city. So, for your directory listings, you can just point them to that page. (Be careful on your choice of directories and anchor text though, especially now in the age of Penguin.)

Otherwise then you've got two websites to get link profiles for in order for them to rank.

Comments on this post

• Belfast agrees
  21. No Profile Picture

The story is this: I created a site for the client. I got him front page for both the Places and organic listings for the keywords and location. He liked having two listings, one in Places and one organic. Google merged the organic and the Places so now he only has Places. But like I say he really liked having two listings on the same page so he asked me to build another site, and he doesn't want a Places listing because he doesn't want it to merge--because he specifically wants one listing in Place and one in organics.

That's what he wants and that's what I want to give him. So the question was, will it hurt his SEO if I make up a street address for the quasi-fake business? I really want the address only for listing in business directories because that is something tangible I do for the clients, something I can show him; whether it helps or not is not clear to me, but I do it anyway. So the question is will it hurt his SEO if I make up an address, when you consider the fact that he doesn't want a Places listing?
  23. Here to help
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by zulubanshee
    That's what he wants and that's what I want to give him. So the question was, will it hurt his SEO if I make up a street address for the quasi-fake business? I really want the address only for listing in business directories because that is something tangible I do for the clients, something I can show him; whether it helps or not is not clear to me, but I do it anyway. So the question is will it hurt his SEO if I make up an address, when you consider the fact that he doesn't want a Places listing?
    Just create the second site. Don't create a places account for the second site. Keep all the contact info bona-fide.
    A fake address wil have no bearing on your seo, but it may have an impact on people's opinion if they find out. They may consider it a scam.

There is this guy I know, in the fencing business. He has 3 sites. Each use the same contact info, address phne only the email is different. One targets residential fencing, one targets aluminum fencing and the last explicitly target wood fencing. He has no problems.

Comments on this post

• Belfast agrees : I have 2 different sites, same company info, ranking page 1 for the same term - no issue - don't see why it would be an issue for 1 in places and 1 'normal'
    Last edited by DMN Webmaster; Aug 28th, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

To take the fence concept a bit further... Perhaps the client should register a tradename and build the site around the new name. I did that with a long-tail keyword. I even have competing adwords campaigns.
  27. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the input everybody.
  29. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

when I moved from home based to warehouse and moved all my sites over on google maps. 4 weeks in, google was still not showing my business name, EVEN when I searched via the exact address.

They did not show them until, I actually linked to the maps directions, and got others to send some local queries with business name, and location.

I almost felt like the goog didnt believe me:rolleyes: and I did the postcards the first week.