Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    6

    Extensive Work (Need To Hire Someone)


    I have been working on my SEO for years. I've sought help on this forum in the past and hired local SEO firms as well. No one has ever really been able to help me figure out how to get the results I want. In almost every aspect, when you compare our site to our main competitor, we're crushing it. However, we still rank below them. I've recently focused on bumping the quality of my conversion pages up by writing 2,000+ words. My only thought left is maybe I don't have enough backlinks to individual pages. I have plenty going to my home page but that's not what I'm trying to rank. So, I'm looking to hire someone who has access to softwares like Ahrefs, Moz Pro, etc that can run reports for me on my site and competitor, and then give me a prioritized action plan on what I need to do. I'm not looking/can't afford a long term project and I want to do these things myself. I'm just needing someone who has access to the softwares to give me the insights that I need. Is anyone here willing to help? I have more details that I can share in a PM. Thanks!
  2. #2
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,043
    Rep Power
    1840
    Originally Posted by arandazzo88
    My only thought left is maybe ...
    How did you arrive there. About two years ago Fathom recommended PPC to you as a step. Did you follow that advice. Where did it take you?
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    6
    Originally Posted by Doodled
    How did you arrive there. About two years ago Fathom recommended PPC to you as a step. Did you follow that advice. Where did it take you?
    Yeah, I hired an agency to do SEO for 1.5yr. My budget was between $500-1000 a month. We were tracking conversions and it wasnít good. Our average sale is about $60 and we were not getting ROI.

    So how have I come to my conclusion? Iíve probably hired 5 agencies to do onsite SEO, and Iíve done stuff my self. Thereís no glaring errors on my site. The top 3 things in Googles algorithm are back linking, quality content, and sales brain. The only thing I can think of that hasnít had extensive work is back linking to some of my individual pages.
  6. #4
  7. Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,374
    Rep Power
    1316
    - Why I can't rank higher? The information which was given back then seemed pretty smart. It's pretty much what I think the best solution would be now.

    Doodled mentioned the question about PPC, then you answer saying yes, of course. Loads of SEO agencies have done on-site SEO on my site? Do you understand what PPC is? Adwords, Bing ads, did you implement this?

    - If your conversions aren't satisfactory, that's your own fault. You need to optimise your site to convert well.

    Unfortunately, if your sites been mistreated in the past, sometimes it's near impossible to ever come back.


    ...

    Ok, so I dug a little. This is your title "Knoxville CPR by CPR Choice - Knoxville #1 CPR Class! Knoxville CPR by CPR Choice". How many times do you want to say CPR? it's stuffed so badly.

    Page-explorer, and screaming frog can't crawl your site. It returns a 403 error. If Googlebot gets a 403 error too many times then your site might aswell be dead.


    Your site isn't optimised to perfection like you may think - the answers to your original thread which you asked in 2015 should be acted on in my opinion
    Last edited by matt1966; Mar 3rd, 2018 at 10:25 AM.
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    6
    Originally Posted by matt1966
    - Why I can't rank higher? The information which was given back then seemed pretty smart. It's pretty much what I think the best solution would be now.

    Doodled mentioned the question about PPC, then you answer saying yes, of course. Loads of SEO agencies have done on-site SEO on my site? Do you understand what PPC is? Adwords, Bing ads, did you implement this?

    - If your conversions aren't satisfactory, that's your own fault. You need to optimise your site to convert well.

    Unfortunately, if your sites been mistreated in the past, sometimes it's near impossible to ever come back.


    ...

    Ok, so I dug a little. This is your title "Knoxville CPR by CPR Choice - Knoxville #1 CPR Class! Knoxville CPR by CPR Choice". How many times do you want to say CPR? it's stuffed so badly.

    Page-explorer, and screaming frog can't crawl your site. It returns a 403 error. If Googlebot gets a 403 error too many times then your site might aswell be dead.


    Your site isn't optimised to perfection like you may think - the answers to your original thread which you asked in 2015 should be acted on in my opinion
    I appreciate your response. Iím sorry I wasnít clear. I meant to say I hired an agency to do Google PPC for 1.5yr with not a good ROI. We were getting conversions but the amount we paid for PPC vs the average sale did not return a good ROI.
    The website you referenced is my competitor, not my site. So if you think their site is bad and theyíre still ranking higher than us, then that further makes me scratch my head about.

    Our site is primemedicaltraining.com
  10. #6
  11. Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,374
    Rep Power
    1316
    I'm no master at PPC, so I can't comment too much. But I do remember someone who once said "if PPC is done correctly, it'll always be profitable", so it could be a case of having not too great of a professional?

    As for SEO though, your site still isn't optimized very well. If you've been paying professionals for a while now on and off, I wouldn't be happy with what they've provided you with. Haven't even bothered to optimise the pictures, your sites slow, alt tags aren't used properly.. and it's all I've looked at so far.

    Also, I doubt many SEOs use Moz Pro. It's a tool which somebody who doesn't do SEO would use. Ahrefs - probably. If I was you, I'd hire KnowOneSpecial to make sure you at least have the basics of SEO on your site. Or you could even try PPC again with somebody who definately knows their stuff. KernelPanic is in a commited relationship with PPC, he knows his stuff. I'm sure either of these guys would be able to help you out.

    Although it's easy to point the finger, it's not Googles fault. The experts you hired, and your own work hasn't been good enough.

    I do like your design though!
    Last edited by matt1966; Mar 3rd, 2018 at 11:28 AM.
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    6
    Thanks for that input. That’s why I’m here. Looking for recommendations on someone to hire. I am willing to do the work, but I need someone who has the tools to do an audit and give me a prioritized action plan.
  14. #8
  15. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    France, Civens
    Posts
    1,233
    Rep Power
    1907
    Could you PM me your URL?
    Owner of Bennetonable | AdWords certified - Analytics qualified
    On-Page SEO Cheat Sheet | "My opinions are my own. Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
  16. #9
  17. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,872
    Rep Power
    5653
    Originally Posted by Doodled
    How did you arrive there. About two years ago Fathom recommended PPC to you as a step. Did you follow that advice. Where did it take you?
    Originally Posted by arandazzo88
    Yeah, I hired an agency to do SEO for 1.5yr
    Why did you hire an SEO agency to do your PPC? Did you hire an SEO guy who knew how to do paid search or a Certified Adwords Professional with a decade of experience?

    With paid search, the agency's job is to put you in front of people looking for your classes. Did they do that? Did they test calls to action, trust statements, body text, button text, images, colors....? What time of day converted best for you? Which keywords converted best? What price point converts the best? What was your cost per conversion / cost per acquisition?

    If you have answers to all those questions and you are still not making money, the business is not viable either because of how it's being run or the demand is to low and the supply to high.

    Comments on this post

    • Pierre Benneton agrees : Straight to the point
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    6
    Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Why did you hire an SEO agency to do your PPC? Did you hire an SEO guy who knew how to do paid search or a Certified Adwords Professional with a decade of experience?

    With paid search, the agency's job is to put you in front of people looking for your classes. Did they do that? Did they test calls to action, trust statements, body text, button text, images, colors....? What time of day converted best for you? Which keywords converted best? What price point converts the best? What was your cost per conversion / cost per acquisition?

    If you have answers to all those questions and you are still not making money, the business is not viable either because of how it's being run or the demand is to low and the supply to high.
    Fair questions. Itís a local agency called Smarter Searches. They are a certified AdWords professional. They did not mine down as far as you were suggesting. Iíd say they did about half of what you were asking about.

    I think you made a bit of a jump in conclusion, though. Even if they had done all those things, it doesnít point to my business not being viable. I wonít get into the grit of everything. However, we deal with a lot of online scammers and a poorly regulated industry. So the cost of conversion is really high because of the cost of the clicks and going up against some really big budgets that the scammers have.

    However, that doesnít mean the business isnít viable. Itís quite thriving all things considered. Weíre just trying to organically get above our one competitor. Thatís what Iím here seeking help trying to do. Some have criticized our SEO. Thatís fine, but so has everyone else who we then hired to fix things. Even people that this forum had recommended.

    Weíre weary, spent a lot of time, and a lot of money.
  20. #11
  21. Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,374
    Rep Power
    1316
    I kind of disagree.

    If your landing pages for your ads are like this:



    Then it won't convert very well.

    - Where's the call to action?
    - "find a class" in the nav sends me to a different website. To me, that's the most attractive button to click on if I was looking for CPR training.

    Your site looks pretty, but it confuses me and doesn't follow the 101's of conversion. If your site doesn't convert, it doesn't matter if Yoda's doing your PPC, it'll be mighty hard to get a good ROI.

    To confirm, you could pay for people to test your site out for usability. https://www.usertesting.com, get randomers to go through your site and to speak honestly about it. A baby's mother always thinks their childs the cutest. 99% of the time, it's not what I think. Lol.

    As a business owner, first natural thing to do is point the finger. You seem to have bitterness towards Google, having a belief your site is so much better. It's your baby so you will think that, but it's not. Only you can change that. As for conversion, I'm 99% sure it's not the "scammers" your site just isn't built to convert.
    Last edited by matt1966; Mar 4th, 2018 at 08:40 AM.
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    6
    Originally Posted by matt1966
    I kind of disagree.
    I won't argue on that point. No doubt there's room for improvement. That brings me back to the title of my post. I'm looking for someone to hire that can consult me on what I need to do. I have the time and willingness to do the work, and I need someone with knowledge and access to softwares that can guide me in improving my site. Anyone?

    Originally Posted by matt1966
    "find a class" in the nav sends me to a different website. To me, that's the most attractive button to click on if I was looking for CPR training.
    Unfortunately we don't have an option about sending people to a different site. There are only 3 class management softwares in our industry and they all have a separate domain for people to view and sign up for classes. There's no option to embed or use a plugin.
    Last edited by arandazzo88; Mar 4th, 2018 at 09:12 AM.
  24. #13
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,043
    Rep Power
    1840
    Now by this point in the thread you must be wondering why people aren't falling over themselves waving 'Hire Me' signs? This really isn't meant to be personal but you sound like trouble. You might not be but I'll explain why:

    For PPC you sound like someone who is saying "So I need to get this nail into this piece of wood, I tried a hammer but I got a sore thumb so I need another solution". Then when other issues are flagged up you say things like:

    Originally Posted by arandazzo88
    Unfortunately we don't have an option
    and

    Originally Posted by arandazzo88
    Weíre weary, spent a lot of time, and a lot of money.
    Technology is meant to be an enabler, not a blocker, so why has it become a blocker for you and how can you overcome this?

    You are quite happy to admit that the data generated by your PPC campaigns has not been properly analysed but still want to dismiss PPC. Then your goals seem to get mixed with

    Originally Posted by arandazzo88
    Weíre just trying to organically get above our one competitor. Thatís what Iím here seeking help trying to do.
    Are you? Or are you trying to grow/maintain your business because getting above your one competitor organically may do you no good at all. Again, would need to see more data but I avoid clients who think like this. They become obsessed with a false goal and lose focus on what they are actually about.

    Originally Posted by arandazzo88
    I am willing to do the work
    Yes but do you have the statistical analytical skills to do it? You can tell me how to do heart surgery but I probably wouldn't get it right no matter how detailed your explanation.

    Originally Posted by arandazzo88
    I won't argue on that point. No doubt there's room for improvement.
    So after so long why is it not done? There are links on your home page (AEDs) that are broken!

    Now what no one here wants is to get hired by someone who comes back in 6 months and says "I followed his/her advice and it did not work" which is essentially what you are saying about Fathoms advice. This is very common with clients who want advice and then go off and do it themselves because too much gets lost in interpretation and "we couldn't do exactly that because of [insert reason here] so we did something sort of like it and it had a terrible ROI".

    You have so much data that could provide you with clues, even answers, and yet you want to sweep them all into a cupboard and wander off looking for links.

    Hire someone to look at your analytics and the data from your PPC campaigns first. If there is one positive to this threat it is that I have an odd feeling you are sitting on your answer
    Last edited by Doodled; Mar 4th, 2018 at 04:37 PM.
  26. #14
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    6
    Originally Posted by Doodled
    Now by this point in the thread you must be wondering why people aren't falling over themselves waving 'Hire Me' signs? This really isn't meant to be personal but you sound like trouble.
    I understand what you're saying. No offense taken.

    Originally Posted by Doodled
    Are you? Or are you trying to grow/maintain your business because getting above your one competitor organically may do you no good at all. Again, would need to see more data but I avoid clients who think like this. They become obsessed with a false goal and lose focus on what they are actually about.
    Our business model is multi-faceted. Getting above our competition and SEO in general is one piece of our sales strategy, but we certainly are not relying on that solely. We definitely have plans of growing/maintaining the business. I can't complain about our growth so far. We're partly getting judged on a website that is currently being updated. The home page is on the docket this week to be revised. I've already made significant changes to pages like https://www.primemedicaltraining.com...are-providers/ and https://www.primemedicaltraining.com...s/knoxville-tn. They all use to look like the home page.

    I'm willing to do PPC. I spent a lot of money on it by hiring a top local firm in the area for 1.5yr. The problem is that where my customers convert is on that 3rd party website, so there's no way for us to put conversion code to see if they actually signed up for any classes after going to that site. It's not completely the firm's fault that they didn't give me any data, and it's largely out of my hands as well. There are no alternative better options for the type of software we're required to have. I did take the advice given to me on the other thread and invest in PPC. The firm said I wouldn't have been able to spend much more before I wasn't using the whole budget each month.

    Originally Posted by Doodled
    Now what no one here wants is to get hired by someone who comes back in 6 months and says "I followed his/her advice and it did not work" which is essentially what you are saying about Fathoms advice. This is very common with clients who want advice and then go off and do it themselves because too much gets lost in interpretation and "we couldn't do exactly that because of [insert reason here] so we did something sort of like it and it had a terrible ROI".
    To be fair, I didn't come back in 6 months and say the advice didn't work. I didn't even implement it. I hired a local firm like everyone suggested and came back almost 3 years later. I'm not saying what I was told is wrong, but I'm trying to make a point that I've exercised patience to let time take its course which is what we're suppose to do with SEO. We've definitely ranked higher in our SEO over the years, and our traffic has spiked and been steadily 275% up each month since September.

    I'm taking everyone's words to heart. I've reread all my past threads and taken notes. I think this is like a lot of things in life. You wonder how much there is left to know about something, and the reality is you've really been exposed to it all. Thanks for driving that point home. I'm going to get to work.
  28. #15
  29. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,043
    Rep Power
    1840
    OK - all good and perhaps here is the crux of the issue, you can't really measure your ROI.

    If I said to you that I could get you above your competitor for $10,000 how would you know, in one years time, if that was money well spent? Your bookings may go up but that could be because of other causes, same for a decrease in bookings.

    So here is a possible idea which may or may not fly....

    Why not create the list of courses and booking/payment page on your own site. You could create a crawler which should be able to keep it up to date. Then when a client books you make the booking at the portal on their behalf. This is a bit admin heavy but it does not need to be a 'forever' option. Just so you can gather concrete data.

    Re your adwords experience - just because you did not exhaust your budget did not mean you did not exhaust your options. How many keywords were you targeting? What were your geographical restrictions? Did you use tap to call? What was the quality score of your keywords? Which keywords and ads went to which landing pages? Did you use extensions?etc, etc.

    Final PS - when I went to your site my instinct was to click the icon 'Public Classes' in the header but it turned out not to be a link .....
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug 27th, 2011, 02:00 PM
  2. Baidu to hire U.S. engineers to work in China (Reuters)
    By RSS_News_User in forum Technology News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun 29th, 2010, 03:00 AM
  3. Baidu to hire U.S. engineers to work in China (Reuters)
    By RSS_News_User in forum Technology News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun 29th, 2010, 01:01 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo