Excellent Advice for 2018

It's not about keywords any longer!
    https://backlinko.com/seo-this-year

Comments on this post

• tstolber agrees
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

That was an interesting article.

Google seems to be becoming so confident in its SERP content that they barely even include links to other sites, like they used to. The scary part is that Google seems to be heading in the direction of providing all the content on its own, rather than providing links off-site.
  5. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Agreed. Google is an advertising agency, nothing more. They make money when people click paid ads so that's their focus. They are doing a better and better job of keeping people on the results pages until they click an ad.
  7. No Profile Picture

Real awesome article. Surely follow the tips
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Agreed. Google is an advertising agency, nothing more. They make money when people click paid ads so that's their focus. They are doing a better and better job of keeping people on the results pages until they click an ad.
    +100 on this one sir!

I have been noticing the same thing and definitely agree with defining Google as an Ad Agency.

To me, having more "answer box" on the first SERP makes sense, and is part of the natural evolution of their search engine, since its goal historically has been to provide users with the best answer to what they're looking for. Factoring in user experience, having these boxes eliminates a click the user would have to do, increasing the speed the searchers querry is answered - so I have never been against these boxes. However... considering more and more users are searching from mobile, that Google Search App is integrated cross-platform, and that the SERPs are no longer focusing on organic results, it's more important than ever for all of us to continually learn, test and share to help the seo community stay informed.

Remember when the focus of the internet (and search engines) was all about the sharing of information? Hmmmm...
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Interesting - I am wondering how much is contextual relevance now too compared just with keyword matching.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : Nice to see you sir :)
  13. No Profile Picture

An interesting article, though I didn't read all of it, will have to get back to it.

What I wonder is whether Google is going to completely eliminate search results from the first page at some point over the next decade, and present articles that are compiled from multiple websites, with images and logical headings/paragraphs, and only offer actual SERP upon specific request from the searcher. It does seem to be heading that way, if slowly.
  15. No Profile Picture

Great article on SEO
  17. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by vannawishum
    Great article on SEO
    I agree but here's a takeaway some might not have considered: Even if you don't think some of the mentioned elements will increase your rank, it's just not arguable that they will help you make more money!

Ranks are great but if you are not working on converting your visitors as well you are an old school dinosaur!
  19. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by thomram
    What I wonder is whether Google is going to completely eliminate search results from the first page at some point
    They are already eliminating B&Ms from the first page of results. Mostly what you see for many searches are directory sites. I think that will continue as Google works to keep people on Google or clicking ads.