1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Example of a Good SiteMap

I asked the other day about the need for a sitemap since all of my pages are 3 or less clicks away from any other page (b/c of the navigation bar). It seemed that people still thought a sitemap was a good idea for ease of spidering so I wanted to see if anyone had a good sitemap they could point me to. I think my site is pretty easy to navigate so I'm mostly interested in the sitemap for SEO purposes. Has anyone seen a direct benefit in their rankings by adding a sitemap?

Carrie
    <snip>
    Last edited by Jasontnyc; Jan 6th, 2005 at 07:52 AM. Reason: sig after 90 days and 100 posts
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

The benefit of a sitemap is to allow the search engines to more easily find your inner pages and index them. Also, it allows you to have links to the inner pages with tightly-controlled anchor text. Sometimes, it may not be possible to have exactly the anchor text you want within your navigation system, so you can use the sitemap to supply that. As far as a "good sitemap" goes, there's really nothing much to it. You can see one of mine at http://www.christmas-corner.com/sitemap.cfm but really its just an organized set of links to inner pages. Doesn't have to be anything special. In fact, the less complex it is, the better.
  5. Resident Black Hat
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I use Xenu Link-Sleuth to build my site maps. Generates what I want and I only have to make some minor modifications to get it the way I want.

G-Man
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I like to organize my site maps in tables, with headings, makes for a nice neat spiderable page.