1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Embed in Branded Site or Create New Site?

I have a client who is starting to sell a new product which is related to his other website that has considerable brand identity but no
    ecommerce. The new product will target a new customer type (wholesale buyers) with website ordering. The client asks, should I embed
    the new product into my current website or should the new product have a standalone website with its own unique domain name?

I have recommended that the new product have a presence on the branded site with a top level menu tab linking to the new product's
    ecommerce site.

Since the new product is related to the products he sells on his branded site, he is asking if his branded site domain name should be part
    of the domain name for the new site. Will the established branding benefit the new site?

I would appreciate your thoughts.
  3. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Since the product is related to what your client is doing, I'd suggest adding the ecommerce component to the existing site. This way you may be able to get the product pages rank faster, since they will benefit from the already-built authority of the website
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Ann Smarty
    Since the product is related to what your client is doing, I'd suggest adding the ecommerce component to
    the existing site. This way you may be able to get the product pages rank faster, since they will benefit from the already-built authority of
    the website
    I agree the branded site certainly would allow his new product venture to benefit from the existing site's authority.

His existing products are sold primarily to the consumer and the new product will be sold primarily wholesale. Many of his major
    competitors have dedicated sites for the new product. In addition, he believes this year's new product inventory can be sold without the
    benefit of a highly-positioned search results site so he can wait for a dedicated site to gain some authority.