1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Exclamation email deliverability affecting google rankings

This is an observation I've made and would like to know if any of you noticed the same correlation.

Last month, in one of my clients, I've detected 2-5% of their transactional emails weren't delivered due to SPAM complains.
    Since it's pure transactional emails and not email marketing I thought something should be misconfigured.
    The problem was found and fixed. Now we've 100% deliverability. Done and lesson learned.

Around 2 weeks later the domain above had an increase in google rankings.
    Nothing was changed for the last 2 to 3 years and it's a very competitive niche.
    Very odd I thought. A couple of weeks passed and things are going well

An idea popped in my head: is google somehow collecting email deliverability data to increase/decrease domain authority?
    Makes sense at first glance.

What's your opinion?
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It's possible
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    It's possible
    Have you experienced it? Or is just a thing that makes sense to you?
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

How would Google check to see if email is deliverable ? That would seem like a waste of resources and almost like spam.

I mean what would the email look like ?? Also there are new email addresses being created everyday.

For instance...

Hi this is Google. We're checking to see if this email address is valid or not.

Now lets look at your symtoms....

Originally Posted by cmancre
    Around 2 weeks later the domain above had an increase in google rankings.
    Nothing was changed for the last 2 to 3 years and it's a very competitive niche.
    Very odd I thought. A couple of weeks passed and things are going well
    This sounds to me like you benefited from the March Core Update, what are they calling it "Florida 2".

Occam's Razor
    The simplest solution is generally the correct solution.
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  9. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

The time frame you mention sounds very consistent with the recent core algorithm update, I think that would be the more likely relationship due to timing. It would be interesting if you reverse what you fixed to verify. I am thinking it would be quite unlikely that the email issue is your cause.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    How would Google check to see if email is deliverable ? That would seem like a waste of resources and almost like spam.

I mean what would the email look like ?? Also there are new email addresses being created everyday.

For instance...

Hi this is Google. We're checking to see if this email address is valid or not.

Now lets look at your symtoms....

This sounds to me like you benefited from the March Core Update, what are they calling it "Florida 2".

Occam's Razor
    The simplest solution is generally the correct solution.
    That's not how email services work, very very far from that. I encourage you to read on that subject and you'll see the big picture.

Or maybe you're right about the Florida 2, just a lucky day
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by tstolber
    The time frame you mention sounds very consistent with the recent core algorithm update, I think that would be the more likely relationship due to timing. It would be interesting if you reverse what you fixed to verify. I am thinking it would be quite unlikely that the email issue is your cause.
    Maybe it was just a lucky day, benefit of the recent google update.
    But, I will definitely keep an eye on this email theory. Google has a huge sample of how users interact with a company email communication:
    If company A has poor email marketing replies rate, poor click rate and/or red flag on spam reports. This means a lot I think.
  15. SEO Consultant

If I was you I would do more than just keep an eye on it.

If you think you have a handle on Google's rankings and you have direct control over it - test it!
    Change it back temporarily.

We have a test and experimentation section on this site, we can organize a group test to validate any theories.

Knowing is better than speculating.

You might have found SEO gold, or it might have been your lucky day. Either way - it is within your reach to validate it.

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees : Excellent Suggestion
    • cmancre agrees : I'll try it once I have a chance
  17. No Profile Picture

I will point out that not all sites use email marketing.

So implying that it does provide a ranking boost would give an upper hand to those site that do over those sites that don't use email marketing.

That is sort of saying.....

I sopped using PPC and my visits and ROI went down. So I started it back up and my visitors increased and my ROI also increased. So PPC must help my rankings.

( Which is an incorrect analysis )

Just to let you know, I have a few sites I care for on a monthly basis and have not made any significant changes to them in over 4 months, added a page or two to some, but they don't use email marketing, and they all experienced gains in Rankings and Conversions since that update. Also I am not talking about the new pages seeing gains, it was gains across the board. 2 or 3 positions for some, 1 or 2 positions for most. There were a few that didn't change at all.

Personally I do not believe that email deliverability has anything to do with ranking a site, why, because it has not been mentioned in the last 10 years to my knowledge or included in Google's Quality Raters Guidelines.
    This is also analogous to saying a site that is 20 years old will out rank a site that is 6 months old just because it is 20 years older. If all things ( meaning ranking factors) are exactly the same between the sites, it has been proven that that analysis doesn't hold water.

Nor has it been mentioned by any of these "Respected Authority Sites"

Internet Marketing Ninjas
    Search Engine Journal
    Search Engine Land

( I could mention a few more sites )

Of all the companies providing, here is a list of some to them that supply SEO Tools: Ahref - SpyFu - Semrush - Powersuite none of these tools have even hinted at it over the years.

I will mention that most hosting providers take great care to keep there servers from being associated with spam email, because I will readily admit that ip address that use email spamming have been blacklisted for this practice. But nowhere have I heard of a positive ranking boost for email deliverability. Truly a first.

Again I mention Occam's Razor -
    Given that all things remain the same, the simplest explanation is generally the correct explanation.

But as mentioned earlier in this thread, undo the fix and wait a couple of weeks and see if you lose your gains. If you do, put the fix back in place, if you don't you still put the fix back in place.

Comments on this post

• tstolber agrees
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Apr 5th, 2019 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
  19. SEO Consultant

Right! Cause and effect
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I searched everywhere and didn't found anything on this subject. Maybe it's not a case of boosting but simply avoiding a small "penalty".
    I'll test it again once I have the opportunity.
  23. SEO Consultant

An interesting thought (to me anyway) is that many of us (my self included) swore blind that a negative SEO attack or malicious back links could cause any negative impact on a site for similar reasons as would be the case here.

Could negative email campaigns be the next negative SEO attack?

Personally, I don't think so but I would not rule it out.

It will be very interesting to see how you check and measure this, please keep us informed.
  25. No Profile Picture

I will see if I can't buttonhole John Mueller on the next "Hangouts" session I can get on. See how he either outright answers it or dances around it.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    I will see if I can't buttonhole John Mueller on the next "Hangouts" session I can get on. See how he either outright answers it or dances around it.
    That would be fantastic! Please came back and continue this thread.