Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Effect of having many links from one website ??

What will happen if one web site gives me many links?? Will it be counted towards inbound links to my website?? How will Google react to this??
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

many say that it will not be counted as more than one link. That is the best scenario.
    The worst one is that you can get penalized for it. Many swear by it even though it may not be logical for G to do.

Originally Posted by mugdhakd
    What will happen if one web site gives me many links?? Will it be counted towards inbound links to my website?? How will Google react to this??
  5. Contributing User

Have a look thses threads, if you have time

http://forums.seochat.com/t19344/s.html
    http://forums.seochat.com/t19077/s.html
    http://forums.seochat.com/t16739/s.html&highlight=sitewide
    http://forums.seochat.com/t18139/s.html&highlight=site+wide
    http://forums.seochat.com/t15196/s.html&highlight=site+wide
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I'm a believer in the theory that the worst case scenario is that Google will only count it as one link. If it was possible to get a site penalised by giving it too many links, we would all be placing sitewide links to our competitors.

My view is that if you are linked to on every page of a website with 1000 pages, it will be worth much less than being linked to on one page of 1000 websites, but will still be worth more than being linked to only once from one site. Naturally being linked to from a similarly themed site will also help.
  9. No Profile Picture
    User Contributor

I agree that G looks at is like you have 1-3 links from that site...they won't ban you, or penalize you for it...that doesn't make any sense
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by AfterHim.com
    I agree that G looks at is like you have 1-3 links from that site...they won't ban you, or penalize you for it...that doesn't make any sense
    they DO penalise you for the link text that you use - i tested it out - unfortunatley for a great phrase on a great site - DOH!

What i suggest is that if you do do sitewides, then make sure you use randomly selected link texts and pages that they link to.

i.e. have a pool of 10 or so different links and the link text use, use some php on the site that is linking to you to randomly select them.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

if it's 10,000 pages it will just ruin all your keywords with Google. Even 1000 backlinks an anchor are enough to do so in my opinion.

Originally Posted by 123promotion
    they DO penalise you for the link text that you use - i tested it out - unfortunatley for a great phrase on a great site - DOH!

What i suggest is that if you do do sitewides, then make sure you use randomly selected link texts and pages that they link to.

i.e. have a pool of 10 or so different links and the link text use, use some php on the site that is linking to you to randomly select them.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by walkman
    if it's 10,000 pages it will just ruin all your keywords with Google. Even 1000 backlinks an anchor are enough to do so in my opinion.
    I have to disagree on this one. Take the example of archive.org - many people refer to it as the "wayback machine" (which is actually the name of it's tool, not the website name), and therefore most of the links to it use the anchor text "wayback machine". Taking a look at the spiders-eye view of the index page of archive.org - the text "wayback machine" only appears twice and one of those times it is within a dropdown list. Do a search for "wayback machine" on Google, and archive.org is the first result (as it should be).

If I understand your theory correctly, archive.org should have penalised. Am I missing your point?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

not all sites are created equal. I know it doesnt make sense, but it happened to me and many others are reporting it too. Too many inbound links
    will rain on many sites' parade.

Originally Posted by norfstar
    I have to disagree on this one. Take the example of archive.org - many people refer to it as the "wayback machine" (which is actually the name of it's tool, not the website name), and therefore most of the links to it use the anchor text "wayback machine". Taking a look at the spiders-eye view of the index page of archive.org - the text "wayback machine" only appears twice and one of those times it is within a dropdown list. Do a search for "wayback machine" on Google, and archive.org is the first result (as it should be).

If I understand your theory correctly, archive.org should have penalised. Am I missing your point?
    Last edited by walkman; Dec 12th, 2004 at 12:32 PM.
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by norfstar

That wasnt the point tho.... There are not thousands of links from the same urls to the wayback machine - only single links from many sources - a seperate issue.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Walkman, I'm assuming you got pinged for RoS links/anchor text?
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

probably. I do great with "&filter=0" for those keywords so I don't know.
    Maybe just a coincidence but many people
    have reported a huge drop at the same as getting sudden multiple links. I believe it

Originally Posted by glengara
    Walkman, I'm assuming you got pinged for RoS links/anchor text?
  25. Canine

I will have something to report soon. I am anxiously awaiting the next BL and PR updates because I implemented a sitewide linking scheme from several new domains and subdomains. These are all now nicely indexed in Google, but I can't tell what the effect has been yet. The next update should be very interesting.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

yp,
    the penalty --that I atribute to the ROS link-- started after an update. I guess they re-calculate everything. Now my homepage (with most of the links) lost it's daily fresh cache...now it takes about 10 days or so, eventhough GB is all over the site and many other pages are refreshed more often.

Originally Posted by dingo
    I will have something to report soon. I am anxiously awaiting the next BL and PR updates because I implemented a sitewide linking scheme from several new domains and subdomains. These are all now nicely indexed in Google, but I can't tell what the effect has been yet. The next update should be very interesting.
  29. Matt Martin

I don't think sitewides will have any negative effect on the site that is being linked to. Take a look at oscommerce. They have sitewide links with the same anchor text on a TON of sites.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: