1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

the effect of external links v. internal links

I'm wondering something regarding links.

Would it be better to be on a page that has no external links coming in to it, but good internal links, or better to be on a page that has both internal and external links? (assuming all other things the same)

For instance, say a page had 10 links coming into it, and the page had a pr5. Which would be better:

5 external links plus 5 internal links, or 10 external links, or 10 internal links, or some other ratio?

If any one knows.
  3. Self-managed!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I think you can't say there is a default ratio between internal and external links pointing to a page. I would ask to be on a decent page with both internal and external links pointing to it and also having some outgoing links to related sites in the industry the site you want to link to you operates. This is mainly because Google seem to give a little boost to pages that link correctly, for both incoming links and outgoing links.
    Last edited by sensei; Aug 3rd, 2004 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Adjustments ...
  5. No Profile Picture

I based my question upon google's "vote" theory. If a page has all internal links, then only that website is "voting" for the links on that page. But if a page both internal and external links, then according to google's "vote" theory, external links should have some extra value.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has a thought on this.

also, regarding a page with outgoing links similar in subject to 'yours' (or mine, or whoever). I'm wondering about that too. If there is only 1 link out, then that 1 link gets all the PR for that page, correct? So wouldn't mathematically a page with just one link on it outgoing be better than a page of 5 links out?

Thank you for replying.
  7. Self-managed!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

If there is only 1 link out, then that 1 link gets all the PR for that page, correct? So wouldn't mathematically a page with just one link on it outgoing be better than a page of 5 links out?
    Strictly in terms of PR passing yes ... but PR doesn't have much value nowadays when it comes about rankings. Its value is mainly regarding spider activity and reindexing.
    But when it comes about the rankings, you should have a much larger thinking on the linking strategy.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by seo_sensey
    Strictly in terms of PR passing yes ... but PR doesn't have much value nowadays when it comes about rankings. Its value is mainly regarding spider activity and reindexing.
    But when it comes about the rankings, you should have a much larger thinking on the linking strategy.
    Okay. Gotcha. Thanks for the advice. I think it's good advice.
  11. Registered User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Initially try to get only incoming links...dont worry about page rank..then go about seeking reciprocal link exchange...coz incoming 9oneway) links are rated higly by google(ofcourse from related resources) irrespective of the page rank
  13. SEO chat regular
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

External Links

Originally Posted by jit
    Initially try to get only incoming links...dont worry about page rank..then go about seeking reciprocal link exchange...coz incoming 9oneway) links are rated higly by google(ofcourse from related resources) irrespective of the page rank
    Recently people have been speculating upon the value of linking off page to well recognised authority sites.

Just wondering if anyone can shed light upon this practice or even just add you oppion and lets see what general consensus says.

Cheers Guys,

Broker Boy