Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Post Effect of Domain Name Itself on Google Ranking

My site ranks on google about number 10 for the main keyword and as low as number 24 for other important keywords. I have been trying to improve my ranks for the last three month without success. I wonder if it is because my domain name does not include any of the keywords in it. How many would it effect the ranks if I change my URL address to a domain name that includes the main keywords. I need guidance from someone with previous experience. Thanks.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Google Lover
    My site ranks on google about number 10 for the main keyword and as low as number 24 for other important keywords. I have been trying to improve my ranks for the last three month without success. I wonder if it is because my domain name does not include any of the keywords in it. How many would it effect the ranks if I change my URL address to a domain name that includes the main keywords. I need guidance from someone with previous experience. Thanks.
    1. While having keywords in your domain name unquestionable offers some benefit, NOT having it there won't act as a hindrance.

2. What have you been doing to improve your rankings? Where have you been building links? Have you created shareable content? Have you bought links? What is your strategy?

3. I wouldn't switch your domain name at this point - you'd have to redirect or canonical the old one and there's just no point to that.

SEO is a game of calculation, strategy and patience. If you're not ranking, there's better reasons than "keywords aren't in domain name".
    Interested in SEO? Follow me: @cstechjoel or visit I'm The Best Looking Man In The World (According To Google!).
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Originally Posted by ElectricPrez
    1. While having keywords in your domain name unquestionable offers some benefit, NOT having it there won't act as a hindrance.

2. What have you been doing to improve your rankings? Where have you been building links? Have you created shareable content? Have you bought links? What is your strategy?

3. I wouldn't switch your domain name at this point - you'd have to redirect or canonical the old one and there's just no point to that.

SEO is a game of calculation, strategy and patience. If you're not ranking, there's better reasons than "keywords aren't in domain name".
    If you have the right brand with your domain don't ever switch.

The only SEO benefit, IMO, from KW in domain is from people who happen to link to your with domain name only and that KW then plays a roll to boost your rankings.....KW in domain name as a signal in the greater algo is pretty tiny IMO.
    Distinct SEO | Calgary SEO & Web Marketing Consultants ~~ Our Blog ~~ Follow @distinctseo
  7. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by distinctseo
    If you have the right brand with your domain don't ever switch.

The only SEO benefit, IMO, from KW in domain is from people who happen to link to your with domain name only and that KW then plays a roll to boost your rankings.....KW in domain name as a signal in the greater algo is pretty tiny IMO.
    I agree, and even google have said they are killing off the value that keyword rich domains use to have, so simply getting or changing to a domain just because it has a keyword in it is of little to no benefit other then link building as you said
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  9. No Profile Picture

Domain name alone doesn't help in Google ranking , the search engine optimization that we do for high & Medium competitive keywords which helps in Google ranking for our website.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Domain name contribute very less in improving your SERP rankings. I think you need to improve your search engine visibility by getting quality backlinks.
    Google consider these factors while assigning SERP rankings,
    - Quality of content
    - Quality of backlinks
    - Social media reputation
    I would never advise you to switch your domain just for improving your keyword rankings.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Re:Keywords in Domain name

Yes it is favorable if your domain consists of the keywords as well but even without it also you can get the ranking improved. Just keep on building the links for your site on relevant site and blogs etc. The more relevant links you get the more improved will be the ranking.

Also if you want to change the domain name then use code for redirection as an older domain has more importance.
  15. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

If you sell washers and dryers, it would be helpful to open a store on Appliance Lane. If your town doesn't have an Appliance Lane to build your store on you can
    1. Give up that customers can't find you because you're not on Appliance Lane
    2. Realize the mega store on Flatbush Ave makes thousands selling appliances

Consider that amazon.com ranks well for thousands of keywords without having a single one in the URL. URLs are SEO window dressing. Don't obsess over it and please avoid my-awesome-keyword-domain-keywords.com
  17. No Profile Picture
    J B
    Contributing User

Everybody (especially Google) these days champions brand over exact match domains - fair enough.

But IMO for the small guy who doesn't have a "big brand" they are optimizing for, making it into an authoritative brand is really hard work.

Exact match domains will help initially (not so much in the long term) not just because of the keyword, but also the fact that Google still places a lot of emphasis on anchor text in links, hence if you have an exact match domain then a lot of your links are going to have your keyphrase in them...
  19. No Profile Picture

Yes it does absolutely help. I often use a keyword-rich domain name for my clients websites and redirect them to the main url and it shows far better serps for them.
    You also have to make sure your optimisation is up to standard as well, as content is the main criteria to drive traffic to your website. I have added an easy optimisation tutorial on our website, but i can't post the url yet as i am a new member to this forum.
    I will give you the link on a later post, if it will help?

regards

Bruce G
  21. No Profile Picture

url names

Yes it does absolutely help. I often use a keyword-rich domain name for my clients websites and redirect them to the main url and it shows far better serps for them.
    You also have to make sure your optimisation is up to standard as well, as content is the main criteria to drive traffic to your website. I have added an easy optimisation tutorial on our website, but i can't post the url yet as i am a new member to this forum.
    I will give you the link on a later post, if it will help?
    you could also google "seositecheckup" and you will find an awesome tool there that will analyse your site too and offer recommendations.

regards

Bruce G
  23. No Profile Picture

Hi
    I note another post covered "backlinks" as well.
    This is a reasonably high requirement now for search engines if you are looking for business in a competitive industry. In saying that, it is more the quality of the backlink than the quantity. Try and obtain links from a site like this one that has a high PR. Or better still obtain them from forums, etc, in your own line of business. They will have more value than from a "linkfarm" offering very little but the probability of your site being penalised in search engines.
    regards
    Bruce G
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Keyword Domain

Having the keywords in your domain does not make a difference. Properly do your SEO and have patience.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

There can be alot of reasons actually...
    Consider these 3 main points...

1. The users - does your site provide the best relevant information for a certain term?

2. Your Content - Is it quality?

3. Your Links - Firstly, are these quality links? and what is theri quantity?
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

To disagree yet again, those that state domain name is not a big ranking factor in algo's are mistaken.

Exact match domain matches are one of the biggest ranking factors out there (and unfortunately it appears its going to stay this way for some time).
    Go and do some research ... its not difficult to see. A low value site (or even a virtually empty one) can easily top the searches against other better optimised and visible sites purely by having the exact match term in the domain. The evidence is everywhere when you look for it.
    Try a search for most product based terms .. chances are a low quality site with an exact or near exact match will be in the top three, for no apparent reason (or certainly no reason good enough to place it above other more relevant or higher authority sites).
    Its not do with anchor text, if you think about it logically and the way people link to sites.

I wish it'd change.. it might put a stop to all the crazy stupid domain traders buying everything they can think of and filling the net with crap.. but unfortunately google still hasnt got rid of the ludicrous practice of placing sites based on exact match domains.
    Last edited by freeflyer; Jul 9th, 2011 at 03:44 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: