1. Go OSU Beavers!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

.EDU Blog Sites - They said NO!

I recently contacted a student who had a blog that was hosted on a .edu site and asked him to trade links. I haven't had any trouble with this in the past, but here is what his response was...

Thanks for the offer. I have been advised that any corporate promotion that is not sanctioned by the university is a violation of our .edu domain status
    Obviously this kid knows the rules and follows them. I think this is interesting to bring up because I see quite a few .edu blogs that are available to trade links with, and these kids really don't understand the power that they can offer websites by offering Back Links.

Anythoughts...?
    - Scott Fish, Director of SEO | SEO Blog | Tweet | Linkedin
    Doing SEO for Fortune 500 companies for the last 8 years.
  3. No Profile Picture

It is these guidelines or rules that make .edu links so difficult to get. I recently had a university contact me to to buy the rights to use one of my tools. I basically just said I could offer them full rights provided they link back to the original.

They came back to me to state that they are not allowed to link to me due to a policy of no external links. They then made a cash offer.

I took it because it was so large I could get links worth 10 times what I hjad originally asked for on related sites. But it did provide insight on why Google gives so much weight to these links.
  5. Go OSU Beavers!

I agree- .edu links are so valuable and so few to get - it really does make it hard but rewarding when you get them.

I have been pretty luckly lately and devised a few plans over the last 3 months where I have picked up about 32 PR5+ .edu links for just one of my sites. I am hoping this will help significantly in the next PR update.

A lot of the .edu links that are out there are pretty easy to get in my opinion - if you know where to look. I'm not sure I'm willing to give away my sources - but I will say that getting back links these days definitely requires a great deal of creativity.
  7. Saving 4 a "giant laser"
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

scottfish, care to share any tips?

anyone know of a way to search for all .edu IBLs for a given site?