1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

E-commerce based site question

I have been reading many different sites lately on SEO and increasing traffic. a number of them speak of penalisation from search engines for multiple pages with similar content.

My problem is since my site focuses on one particular item, but I sell this item suitable for different makes and models, most my pages will need to have a similar wording, as I have around 30 products it is difficult for all pages not to have the same content.

Any tips from anyone with a similar problem?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by matt_bee
    I have been reading many different sites lately on SEO and increasing traffic. a number of them speak of penalisation from search engines for multiple pages with similar content.

My problem is since my site focuses on one particular item, but I sell this item suitable for different makes and models, most my pages will need to have a similar wording, as I have around 30 products it is difficult for all pages not to have the same content.

Thanks

Dont worry , you wont be penalized for this - if one does it exist - which doesnt IMO - though google does indeed lie.

You are over thinking this - i understand that all your pages will have a core content and then maybe some lighter specific content.. dont worry google will understand this lots of sites are like this . and the important thing if maybe the more main page is indexed and returned then the specific product - i understand you wish to be more specifically found - but google just doesnt work this way anymore. but remember - google has resource limits too.. so its not the best solution its just the best they can provide. and everyone deals with it .. but by no means think you will receive some penalty because you have some unique situtation that google has never seen
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is a practical example where your site will not be penalized for same content (At least in the ecommerce niche)

We have done several websites from electronics, medical, clothing. As you can easily find that all those websites will have same content from the original manufacturer's site. Yet the online store performs well in the SERP.

If i were you i would just focus on creating different title and meta description.

Hope this helps.

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye agrees
  7. No Profile Picture

Lightbulb

Google will consider as a duplicate content but doesn't penalized your website. It will drop your traffics and rank only.

Comments on this post

• NMmarketing : Now be careful with your words "drop your traffics and rank only"
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Take a step back.

Look at the picture, the shape, the color, size, the texture, think about the application. You should be able to find some uniqueness.

Learn some descriptive words, and use them.
    http://www.kisd.org/khs/english/help%20page/Descriptive%20Words.htm

If you sell auto parts,and all the starters "seem" the same, but fit a different car. Take a step PAST the starter, and into the make/model. Does it side mount? Is it on the driver side, passenger, are you going to have to take off hoses etc. What changed in the in the 2010 camry starter from the 2009?
  11. SEO Strategist
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by matt_bee

Thanks
    Hi,
    Please try to write different descriptions of the same much similar products on the page (not in the description META TAG only but on page also). There must be some differences among the products otherwise you are selling the item with different names. Concentrate on that difference and even you can write on the same products in many different ways. Put the different description for each item.

Google really hates duplicate content and can penalize, stay safe with future updates by just making your website duplicate content free.

Regards
    zabalex