1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Unhappy Dynamic product URLs on shopping site

Hi,
    This might be discussed already but I couln't find.
    We know that with Apache mod_rewrite we can make more SEO pages like /amazing-product-p-2323.html instead of /products_info.php?id=2323

Ok, but lets assume that I have many external links to /amazing-product-p-2323.html product page and google gave me 3 PR for that page. When I decide to change product name by adding a bundle like mod_rewrite converts product URL to:

/amazing-product-with-a-great-bundle-p-2323.html

This is same page with above but does Google think this is a diffrerent page than previous one or still continue by givining same value to that page?

I have many shopping cart pages like this and many of URLs are changing regularly when product name is changed. Am I loosing Google position on every URL change like above example? If yes keeping URL like /products_info.php?id=2323 helps much than dynamic URL to retain Google position?

Thanks
    Last edited by xrxdude; Jun 14th, 2011 at 12:29 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Oooh. Good question. I believe that is a problem. I'd get a programmer to modify the code to have it write a 301 redirect at the same time you make a product name change if that's possible for you.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Leave it the way it is.

keywords in your URL is a very small factor in Google rankings - and it is outweighed by the value you would lose in the 301.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Yes, Google would think it's a different page but there is an easy way around it. Just add a rel canonical tag in the header with the rewrite address as the url.
  9. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Originally Posted by drelly
    Yes, Google would think it's a different page but there is an easy way around it. Just add a rel canonical tag in the header with the rewrite address as the url.
    Google thinks it's a different page. The best course of action if you HAVE to change is to use 301 redirects.

Furthermore, you will lose some level of 'page rank' using a 301 (or rel canonical).

So best bet is to jsut keep URLs the same.
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by distinctseo
    Furthermore, you will lose some level of 'page rank' using a 301 (or rel canonical).
    SEOMoz worked out that you retain 90-99% of the pagerank. So the question is whether or not your rewrites will give you more benefit than you lose.
  13. No Profile Picture

If such SEO friendly URL rewrite method is not so beneficial, can we say keeping products_info.php?id=xxxx type url submitting to Google will be more usefull? I'm sure many of SEO guru will say no, but with this way all incoming links will be point to certain URL. Otherwise links from high PR sites may not be point to same URL according to Google.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by drelly
    Hi Drelly
    Thank you for this great suggestion.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

it looks like you're using oscommerce SEO url's? more on that in a min.

Anyway.. this is a serious issue on nearly all sites, not just E-commerce packages... but e-commerce sites will suffer more than others as product titles get changed, or moved cateories etc.

Ideally, whatever plugin/module/developer made URL system you're using, it HAS to have an automatic redirect in it as well. Ie, in the example you gave for your product name change, the old product url would automatically 301 to the new product URL. This is essential for e-commerce sites and also , really, any other site that uses CMS. Unfortunately, most developers or open source packages (if not all of them) miss it completely and you have to rely on a third party module.

If you're using SEO URl's for oscommerce, then it already has this feature. If you're not, then Magic SEO is a good product and has different versions for different platforms. http://www.inveostore.com/ . But, i must stress again that its essential to 301/rewrite all versions, old and new, of the url's on any e-commerce site.
    Last edited by freeflyer; Jun 15th, 2011 at 01:43 PM.