1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Dynamic pages disappeared from google

Hi all

A large number of my dynamic pages have recently been dropped from Google, they are displaying as PR0 in Google toolbar, and obviously I want to rectify this as soon as possible!

The particular set of pages that seem to have disappeared are four dynamic templates displaying content identified through query strings (with a maximum of three variables). As dynamic pages, they are referenced many, many times with different query strings. For example, my product detail page is used to display around 230 different products.

I wondered if Google penalized such use of dynamic pages - is there a limit to the number of times a dynamic page should referenced with different query strings?

I also have a 'printer friendly page' link on every page which reloads the current page with a different style sheet, this is also controlled by a query string. Obviously, these two pages will have duplicate content (that's the whole point!) but because of the query string, the URL is different. Also, taking the printer friendly pages into account, my product detail page has 460 possible versions, 50% of which will be duplicated content. This could be obvious reason for incurring a penalty, but it is only the set of pages I mentioned that seem to be suffering - the printer friendly function is incorporated site-wide with no other pages adversely affected.

As well as a large number of these pages disappearing from G completely, a considerable amount of those still listed only display the page URL in G results - no title and no description. Is there any particular reason for this to happen?

If the printer friendly function is the cause of my woes, I guess it can be easily fixed with a rel="nofollow" attribute attached to each link but I am more concerned that this could have been caused by the over use of certain dynamic pages. Unless there are any other issues that I have completely missed! Any advice anyone??

Cheers

DD
    Last edited by donkeyderby; May 16th, 2005 at 08:14 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes - ooops
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I am being hit with the same problem and my solution was to mod_rewrite my web pages into static URL.

As for no title/description, you are probably doing "site:http://www.yourdomain.com/" right? That command does not show title/description for a lot of pages. Try "site:http://www.yourdomain.com/ keyword1 keyword2"
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by pinyo
    I am being hit with the same problem and my solution was to mod_rewrite my web pages into static URL.

As for no title/description, you are probably doing "site:http://www.yourdomain.com/" right? That command does not show title/description for a lot of pages. Try "site:http://www.yourdomain.com/ keyword1 keyword2"
    Yep, that explaind the no title/description issue, thanks pinyo!

I had considered modifying to static URLs, but I am yet to find a suitable method as my pages are written in classic asp. Also, I thought that google didn't have issues with querystrings any more.

Did you also conclude that your dropped pages were due to the overuse of certain dynamic pages? If that was the case, I can see how static URLs would help. Have your pages been re-indexed since employing this method?

Any other suggestions would be very gratefully received!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Since I switched to static URL, these are my # of page indexed.

forums: ~200 --> 6,310
    glossary: 94 --> 352
    directory: 272 --> 296
    articles: 74 --> 72

I like what I am seeing so far.
  9. No Profile Picture

Since I switched to static URL, these are my # of page indexed.

forums: ~200 --> 6,310
    glossary: 94 --> 352
    directory: 272 --> 296
    articles: 74 --> 72

I like what I am seeing so far.
    Thats really cool pinyo!. I assume you are using PHP / .NET or the like though. As I said, I haven't been able to find a way of creating static URLs with classic ASP. Are you aware of any way this can be accomplished?
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

donkey, i'm not positive that this is the answer to your mod rewrite woes, but check out www.isapirewrite.com .
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am using PHP. I don't know about ASP, but heard someone talk about LinkFreeze the other day.

If you host is apache. You can use mod_rewrite with .htaccess file. You will have to modify your ASP code a bit to output static URL.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am using PHP. I don't know about ASP, but heard someone talk about LinkFreeze the other day.

If you host is apache. You can use mod_rewrite with .htaccess file. You will have to modify your ASP code a bit to output static URL.
    Hi there guys

I had an opportunity to do a mod_rewrite earlier this year but I didn't understand fully the consequences thereof. I have excellent rankings for my home page and some internal page (not many internal pages) in MSN and Yahoo. There are a couple of rankings (100 - 300) in Google for some internal and home pages. My site is definitely still sandboxed so Im not expecting high rankings at the moment...

I want to knwo what will happen to my rankings is MSN, Yahoo and Google if I was to run a mod_rewrite to all my sites.. Will I not loose all those rankings due to the changing of the urls. I always read about the guys saying that Google will recache your pages..This does not make sense to me as hence the urls are different, Google see it as 2 different pages so how can you say it updates your pages to the new url. Once the 2 different url's are indexed and cached will I not suffer a duplicate content penalty as long as both url's are cached. How long will this penalty last seeming that we cant determine how long Google will take to remove the old urls from its database and the SERP

This is an issue that Im struggling to understand for a LONG time....Is there anyone that is up for the challenge of explaining to me and helping me do the mod_rewrite in my .htaccess file
  17. No Profile Picture

Thanks guys for your great suggestions!

Pinyo, I am hosted by an iis server so, alas, mod_rewrite through .htaccess is not an option.

Dazlindonna, this would be perfect, execpt I do not have access to the server. Doh!

I was considering writing my own code to decipher static urls within a 404 handler page, but fear I could be veering into dangerous territory. Does anyone know much about using this method and the possible pitfalls?
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Lyle...once there is no link going to the dynamic pages, they will eventually fall off the index. So far mod_rewrite has positive effect on Yahoo!, MSN, and Ink. Google used to be my #1 referrer, but now Yahoo! and MSN are my #1 and #2.

These three are even more aggressive than Googlebot. For example, Ink now spider about 3000 to 10000 pages a day versus virtually none before. At one point Y and M was crawling pages in the thousands, but I think the bot is full now and dropped back to 100 level.

Donkey...your technique sounds dangerous. I would stay away from it. mod_rewrite does not change the HTTP_header. SEs still see them as good page, not redirected.
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Donkey, it might be time to consider asking your hosting company to make it happen for you...or change to another company that will.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Lyle...once there is no link going to the dynamic pages, they will eventually fall off the index. So far mod_rewrite has positive effect on Yahoo!, MSN, and Ink. Google used to be my #1 referrer, but now Yahoo! and MSN are my #1 and #2.

These three are even more aggressive than Googlebot. For example, Ink now spider about 3000 to 10000 pages a day versus virtually none before. At one point Y and M was crawling pages in the thousands, but I think the bot is full now and dropped back to 100 level.

Donkey...your technique sounds dangerous. I would stay away from it. mod_rewrite does not change the HTTP_header. SEs still see them as good page, not redirected.
    Pinyo...What you say makes alot of sense...but how do I deal with the fact that untill the old pages fall off the index I will suffer a duplicate content penalty... Will yahoo and MSN change the url in the SERP's or will it remove the current ranking pages and then I would have to obtain rankings from scratch?
  25. <- Solan Gundersen
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by donkeyderby
    I was considering writing my own code to decipher static urls within a 404 handler page, but fear I could be veering into dangerous territory. Does anyone know much about using this method and the possible pitfalls?
    I do this all the time, haven't had any problems. You find my concept in this thread:
    http://forums.seochat.com/t17180/s.html

The text in the url is written on the fly based on the title. So if you change the title, the url will also be changed so have this in mind. What you can do is either implement another solution to create the text in the url, drop the text in the url, or add a 301-redirect function if the title is changed. I have done this in a directory I've built not long ago:
    http://www.i-partner.no (it's in Norwegian)
    Last edited by Mano70; May 17th, 2005 at 08:05 AM.
  27. No Profile Picture

Linkfreeze is looking good to me at the moment, if my hosting co will install it for me that is! They might be more willing if explain the potential server load involved with the 404 handler alternative!

Mano, thanks for the tips, this is definitely something I will explore further if my hosting company are uncooperative.

Pinyo, I can kinda see Lyle’s point – although the dynamic URLs won’t be re-indexed in subsequent crawls, Google has a habit of hanging onto orphaned links for a long long time…
    Last edited by donkeyderby; May 17th, 2005 at 09:15 AM.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't know much about dup content penalty, but I have not noticed any negative effect for me. In fact, I made gain in yahoo! and msn. The only thing is that since the URL changed, I have lost my PageRank temporarily. However, I more than made up for it in traffic.