1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Arrow Duplicate site blocked but site still live

Hi All,

We have website that was hit by penguin due to excessive bad links which was quite difficult to fix.

So we purchased a new domain and transferred old site there. To avoid duplicate content we disallowed the original site using robots.txt and removed the whole site through webmaster tools.

So my question is should we also remove the original site from server itself ?. Our management aren't ready to remove the original site. So would it still create some duplicate content issue despite that we have already deindexed the site through webmaster tools.
  3. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by smofreaky
    So my question is should we also remove the original site from server itself ?
    I would not have hosted the new domain on the server where the original, penalized site was.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I agree with Kernel here - it seems it would have prudent to disassociate the new site as much as possible from the old site. If they are on the same server, that's problematic....

If the old site is entirely de-indexed (have you confirmed with this a site command or sample queries?) then I wouldn't be too concerned with the duplicate content.

However, just to clarify, when you say that you "transferred old site there", do you mean you copied the content over there or that you redirected the old URLs to the new ones?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

New site is entirely hosted on new server and there is no redirection, site is standalone
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

In that case, I think you handled the situation the best it could be......still, as my standard advice in these types of situations - monitor your Analytics and Webmaster Tools closely for the next month or two and see if anything odd appears on the radar.
  11. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by smofreaky
    New site is entirely hosted on new server and there is no redirection, site is standalone
    Good move!

As for your duplicate content questions... Is the site still indexed? IE if you search for the site and content from the site does the old site still return in the serps at all?

If you can answer no and find no trace of the old site, and the old sites has nothing on it, you should be fine!

On that note, I would completely delete everything from the old site, remove it from your server and remove the dns etc. In other words I would do everything within my power to remove all and any signs of the old site and all/any signs of myself having had anything to do with it, the more you can remove the less likely google to watch your new site closer in case you do the same with that one.

Oh and whilst your at it, put the tinfoil hat on so they can't find you!
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks Daniel and Nathanie, yes site is completely deindexed. I will try to remove the site from server also.