1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Duplicate content who gets penalized

We found a site that had used our landing page text on their page. Copyscape reveled this to us.

Who does google penalize, does it now that the content was originally ours?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Google is probably not going to penalize either one of you, as scrapers are common and 1 duplicate page is a pretty minor thing. That being said, ideally Google crawled your content 1st, then later on the spider saw the duplicate content and so because you're first it assumes you are the original. Of course, there are a lot of ranking factors outside of "who posted it 1st" so Google has released a "Scraper Report" tool that lets you report any scrapers who outrank you. For more info: Someone Outranking You With Your Own Content? Use The New Google Scraper Report

Comments on this post

• sathishvaiha agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Agree with DanSEO here - I wouldn't be concerned about 1 page of scraped content, as this happens ALL the time.

As for reporting scrapers, it might be worth it in isolated or particularly egregious cases, but scrapers are the mosquitos of the internet - you smack one down and ten more fill their place. Don't devote too much to cataloging or reporting this type of stuff, because their is nearly no ROI in it over the long term.

In general, Google is pretty good (not perfect, but good) at identifying who published content first. Even in cases if the scraper outranks you for the content, there really isn't a "penalty" per se for isolated pieces of duplicate content. There's just a "de-valuing" of the content on the site deemed to be the copier. As mentioned above, if the content in question is highly valuable to the site, then action might be warranted.

If it's no greater in value than any other page on the site, it might be best to take note of it, but do nothing immediately.

Hope that helps!
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DanSEO
    Google is probably not going to penalize either one of you, as scrapers are common and 1 duplicate page is a pretty minor thing. That being said, ideally Google crawled your content 1st, then later on the spider saw the duplicate content and so because you're first it assumes you are the original. Of course, there are a lot of ranking factors outside of "who posted it 1st" so Google has released a "Scraper Report" tool that lets you report any scrapers who outrank you. For more info: Someone Outranking You With Your Own Content? Use The New Google Scraper Report
    Scrapper report is fine but it also doesn't give guarranty to us. DMCA compalin is better option but that time consumption. I would say better try to tell the owner of the website to remove the duplicate content or you will take legal action. Request first then go hard on it.
  9. Contributing User

Duplicate content issues are rarely a penalty “I wouldn’t stress about this unless the content that you have duplicated is spammy or keyword stuffing.”
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KarnRawat
    Duplicate content issues are rarely a penalty “I wouldn’t stress about this unless the content that you have duplicated is spammy or keyword stuffing.”
    I just experienced that it does matter a lot since the latest updates. You won't get an official penalty, but you might lose all good positions.
  13. No Profile Picture

Yes I would agree with vzmedia though myself I couldn't say if the new algorithms look outside of one site as my duplicates were on my site .I have recently taken back over my seo and it appears I got multiple penalties from Google. I went from page one position to well 'just gone'. I am now in the process of rebuilding and tiding up links, it might take me a while as I am learning as I go. Feel free too take a look if you like,as I mentioned earlier still learning and happy to receive input on what I can do to improve things. One thing I found odd is one page was not penalised and I still appear to come up position one for 'pest control prices brisbane'
  15. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by DanSEO
    Correct, i agreed with him, few months before i got faced such a problem and get fixed by the same way.
  17. No Profile Picture

I am agree with you. Thanks for this great info.
  19. No Profile Picture

But I think Google can find that who is copying content and from where ...But i have seen that a insurance company got penalized for copying whole content.