1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Duplicate Content - where does it start/end?

Hey guys,

I'm about to set up one of my biggest private projects so far and am now a bit unsure about managing the dc issue.

It's a website that sells (as an affiliate) travel programs like "highschool exchanges for kids", "interhships overseas", "volunteer work overseas" etc etc.

I'm planning on developing the site with the Drupal CMS which is great for SEO. The site consists out of the programs (1 page for each programs, there are about 190 of them) and a community which will feature things like a travel blog for every user, forums and more.

My questions regarding DC are as follows:
    1. The content for the programs comes from the main website. On the original website the content for 1 program is usually split up to around 5 seperate pages (one page for prices, one page for conditions, one page for included services of the program and so on). What would happen if I combine those 5 pages to 1 single page and only use the most important content bits? So I would have 1 page with 75% content that comes from 5 seperate original pages. Does Google still recognises this as pure DC?
    2. All the texts are in German. THis is hard to explain, but there are 2 ways of writing copy in German. (as there is in French) You can address your reader with a "sie" (in French "vous") or the less formal one "du" (in French "tu"). I'm thinking of changing the way the text is adressing the reader because then there will be quite a few words that are spelled differently compared to the original copy. THis way I get more "unique" content without rewriting the entire texts. What do you guys think? Will this trick help avoid Google recognising DC?
    3. I will still link to the original pages with an affiliate ID such as www.xyz.com?aff=12345 but I will add a rel=nofollow to avoid Google directly connecting the 2 sites with each other. Is this a good idea?
    4. Apart from the program descriptions there will be other content on the site. I will have several teasers on the right hand side with the newest travel blogs, forum threads etc. (which is new, original content). THis way I hope to be able to mix the DC with fresh content.

I really want to get everything right in the first place and hope not to get banned in the long term. I usually prefer original/new copy too, but with 190 programs it's just impossible to write everything from scratch.

What do you guys think? I'm looking forward to your answers.

THX
    Kai
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If you "wanted to do it right" you should probably re-write the reviews. 190 pages sounds like a lot but it would be well worth it to have original content.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : YES Indeed!
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi there,

thanks for the answer, but this is not really an option. For several reasons. What do you think about the above mentioned points?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I don't believe in duplicate content penalty.

But fr those who believe that there is a penalty you can surely use markov chain algo in your php to make the content look at bit different.
  9. No Profile Picture

mmh.. anyone else an opinion on this? I do believe in the DC issue because several of my mates have experient all the problems that come with it ;-)
  11. No Profile Picture

DC penalization does exist, unfortunately I have experienced it myself (I was hired as a webmaster & SEO for 2 sites penalized for DC, and I'm still trying to get the penalization out).
    I think you can avoid penalization by joining the contents of the pages (your pt 1) and changing the copy style (pt 3). I wouldn't add the nofollow (pt 3).
    My best advice is: create original content, apart from the specific program texts. I mean, create LOTS of original contents, like a bit of history about some destination, advices for travellers, and so on. Of course, this takes a lot of work, but it's worth it.
    Good luck!
  13. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Post the same stuff... you will compete against everyone else. Post different stuff and you stand apart and above.

Sometimes the answer that you get is not the one that you want. 190 articles isn't that much if you think that this is a worthwhile venture.

I would not bother if I was posting same stuff. ROI will be lower than if I take the expensive route. Sometimes it works exactly that way.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL