#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Arrow Duplicate Content till re-crawl


    Ok... got an interesting question here.

    I am currently optimizing a website with 150 pages. Each of of these pages use the "_" instead of "-" to separate words for the page name.

    My question is... if I change every single one of these pages to use "-" instead of "_" and then upload everything while keeping the existing "_" pages on the site do you think Google will re-crawl the site and notice both of these pages are still being active and therefore treat this as duplicate content?

    Basically I don't want to delete the old files yet because of the current search results deliver traffic... wanted to delete them once Google has the most recent cached pages.

    What do you guys think.

    I was thinking of deleting everything and doing a redirect for the page not found to the homepage.... Anyways --- does anyone have any experience do this recently?

    CH
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    User Contributor
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    317
    Rep Power
    15
    In php-nuke, pages are duplicated occassionally. I've never had a problem with duplicate content issues...google will think one page is more important that the other, but will index both...no problems for me.
  4. #3
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    15
    Originally Posted by googlemasters
    I am currently optimizing a website with 150 pages. Each of of these pages use the "_" instead of "-" to separate words for the page name.
    I wonder. Do you think that "_" will give better SERP results than "-"? If so, why?
    Originally Posted by googlemasters
    if I change . . . these pages to use "-" instead of "_" and then upload everything while keeping the existing "_" pages on the site do you think Google will re-crawl the site and notice both of these pages are still being active and therefore treat this as duplicate content?

    Basically I don't want to delete the old files yet because of the current search results deliver traffic... wanted to delete them once Google has the most recent cached pages.
    I would have the old pages redirect to new pages for ALL links. Broken links are bad, IMHO, because it frustrates users and you loose the benefit of SERPs. Permanent 301 redirects cause GG and other SEs to update their links automatically.

    Google will crawl and find the new pages and eventually give them more importance (if you removed the links to the old pages).

    Duplicate content is not a penalty, but your PR could be diluted, especially if you have no redirects.
  6. #4
  7. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    D0RDRECHT NL
    Posts
    6,063
    Rep Power
    31
    Originally Posted by danZ
    I wonder. Do you think that "_" will give better SERP results than "-"? If so, why?
    FYI - lots of people report that G regards a dash [-] as a [space] when it comes to finding keywords in urls, whereas the underscore [_] is just an underscore. So if you have files like keyword1-keyword2.htm, it could probably help your serps...

    Actually it DOES help. Mine is one of my best ranking pages although I haven't tried it with the underscore but went straight for the dash option.
  8. #5
  9. Sick of BL's, PR + Google
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    865
    Rep Power
    40
    There was a fairly extensive test done on this a while ago, might help...

    http://forums.seochat.com/t9981/s.html

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: Oct 13th, 2004, 02:44 PM
  2. Value and use of Content sources for adwords
    By earlpearl in forum Google Adwords
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Sep 27th, 2004, 03:13 PM
  3. Content irrelevant?
    By boykottgoo in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep 1st, 2004, 12:04 PM
  4. Result of a Google test.
    By Nintendo in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Aug 31st, 2004, 09:19 AM
  5. Free Content affiliate program
    By jeffdsouz in forum Affiliate Marketing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun 4th, 2004, 02:32 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo