1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Duplicate Content Question...

I have two web sites, one a PR6 site and one a PR5. The PR6 site had a link on its home page pointing to the PR5 site.

What I found seems to be a duplicate content issue.

The newer PR5 directory had some of the same programs listed as the PR6 site, that on December 28th took a huge drop in rankings..

According to my raw log files, at almost the exact same time on December 28th, the PR6 site went from 100+ google searches per hour to about 5 while the PR5 went from only 1 or 2 Google searches a day to over 100. Looking deeper, the PR5 had no more than 1 or 2 Google referrals since September around the time of the Jagger update while the PR6 was fine from September until Dec. 28th.

It may only be a coincidence, but it appears that the PR5 site was punished for duplicate content in Sept. and then on Dec. 28th., Google decided to punish the PR6 site instead.

With that being said I have now removed the duplicate content and the link form the PR6 site to the PR5 site.

Has anyone had experience with this, and know how long it usually takes for the duplicate penalty to be removed?

Is it a matter of Google reindexing the pages and seeing that the duplicate content has been removed or is there more to it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by frankc
    I have two web sites, one a PR6 site and one a PR5. The PR6 site had a link on its home page pointing to the PR5 site.

What I found seems to be a duplicate content issue.

The newer PR5 directory had some of the same programs listed as the PR6 site, that on December 28th took a huge drop in rankings..

According to my raw log files, at almost the exact same time on December 28th, the PR6 site went from 100+ google searches per hour to about 5 while the PR5 went from only 1 or 2 Google searches a day to over 100. Looking deeper, the PR5 had no more than 1 or 2 Google referrals since September around the time of the Jagger update while the PR6 was fine from September until Dec. 28th.

It may only be a coincidence, but it appears that the PR5 site was punished for duplicate content in Sept. and then on Dec. 28th., Google decided to punish the PR6 site instead.

With that being said I have now removed the duplicate content and the link form the PR6 site to the PR5 site.

Has anyone had experience with this, and know how long it usually takes for the duplicate penalty to be removed?

Is it a matter of Google reindexing the pages and seeing that the duplicate content has been removed or is there more to it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    No idea really Frank but my guess is that it had nothing to do with a limited amount of duplicate content...

The way things are in Google right now I would defy anybody to give an educated guess as to how long it will take before you see the results you expect...

Like the rest of us you will have to just watch & wait
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    No idea really Frank but my guess is that it had nothing to do with a limited amount of duplicate content...

The way things are in Google right now I would defy anybody to give an educated guess as to how long it will take before you see the results you expect...

Like the rest of us you will have to just watch & wait
    You don't believe it was duplicate content and that it was just a coincidence that the sites sort of flip-flopped on the 28th?
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by frankc
    You don't believe it was duplicate content and that it was just a coincidence that the sites sort of flip-flopped on the 28th?
    I don't know enough to believe anything but I'm guessing it wasn't the duplicate content... it could be coincidence, could be unrelated, or it could be more to do with the link you removed.

I'm just guessing it's not duplicate content because you said "some of the same programs listed" - in my experience it needs to be more closely duplicated than that comment infers.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Do the sites reside on the same server? IP addresses similar? Similar whois info?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by outland88
    Do the sites reside on the same server? IP addresses similar? Similar whois info?
    Different servers and different ip address. The whois information is about the same but two different registrars.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    I don't know enough to believe anything but I'm guessing it wasn't the duplicate content... it could be coincidence, could be unrelated, or it could be more to do with the link you removed.

I'm just guessing it's not duplicate content because you said "some of the same programs listed" - in my experience it needs to be more closely duplicated than that comment infers.
    I used a couple of duplicate content tools and did find a few pages that were considered over 50% duplicate.

The only reason that I am assuming it to be a duplicate issue is that at the exact same time that the PR5 site went from the 100s in the SERPs to the first page the PR6 site went from the first pages to the 100s. Prior to September they were both doing well, now even for terms that only have a 1000 results the PR6 site is in the 100s which is very odd for a site with internal pages of PR5 and 4