1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Duplicate content penalty again and I hope this thread is not too far out

I read now on several threads that it is save to have not more than 50 to 85 percent duplicate content.

But my question now: Who gets the penalty - and how strong? And for what? My problem is quite unusual:

For example: There are 8 pages that have between 77 to 99 percent the same content. Do all eight pages get the same penalty? Or does it matter which page was first recognised by google? And this very first indexed page doesnt get punished? Can this very first page still change the IP address and then still will be the first that probably wont get punished?

This questions because we are going to split : 2 our company (firs indexed by google 8 years ago) and we are all going to take the same webdesign and content. We just want to use now for two new companies the same webdesign and content and only change the logo and some images.

8 because we do have:

1+2. with a new IP but the original domainname - Archive with the old design - can be viewed with large or small images but with the same content and design.

3+4. with a new IP but the original domainname - New design - can be viewed with large images or small images but with the same content and design.

5+6. with a new IP and a new domainname - but the same content than 1+2

7+8. with a new IP and a new domainname - but the same content than 3+4

I hope this thread is not too far out... and it might be that I am the only one who has a problem like this. The more I would apreciate your opinions very much. Thanks for sharing your experience.

SwissAboriginal
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

99% is pushing it for sure...

I've never had this problem because (when I do copy pages) I always alter page content to suit the new location.

But - from what I've read the effect will probably be that Google drops all but one of the pages... and there are no guarantees which one (if any) will be kept.

They say (Matt Cutts) that they are improving their ability to deduce which is the "original" and to drop the rest BUT that - to me - only means they admit that they aren't very good at it right now!

The other thing which might have some influence is the fact that the domains are all owned by you.

Personally I would reduce the similarity, it's real easy to zip through and re-word your copy and rename your image files!
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  5. Go OSU Beavers!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

One thing to remember is that page titles have a lot of weight when looking at dup content.

First, make sure that your titles are different!
    Second, think about each of your pages will appear in the Search Engines... Will the "Description" show up differently than other pages. * I dont meant description meta tags, I mean, Crawled information that SEs like google will pull.

To an extent, a lot of pages on a site are similar - Make a little extra effort to change things, whether it's H1 tags on certain thing, changing up sub-nav links, etc...

-Scott Fish
    - Scott Fish, Director of SEO | SEO Blog | Tweet | Linkedin
    Doing SEO for Fortune 500 companies for the last 8 years.
  7. No Profile Picture

Is there any solid proof that google will drop duplicate content? I ask this because technically, it is almost impossible to figure out which one is the original content. Then the question is: which one should google drop? randomly choose one? not a good idea.

Average
  9. Contributing User

-o-k-, thanks a lot for your answers. It means a hell of a lot of work for me to do. Up to now i could not proof really if there is this duplicate content penalty and how it works and penalizes. The same it was with the sandbox first - but now I know that that exists for sure...
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

tell me if we have pages With same content but With placing different anchor text and Changing image Alts / Meta tags we tried to make them different

but Similar page Checker analyze them having 85% samilar and keyword density says that they are optimized for extramly different keywords

is there changes for getting penalization for Duplicate content !!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo