1. SEO Monger
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Duplicate content email

I just got this email from Perry Marshal talking about duplicate content, thought it offered a little bit of incite into the power of google and decided to share it with you guys.

If you want high Quality Scores for your website, you need both quality and
    quantity of content. On the AdWords side, a site with no content gets a low
    Quality Score and you get slapped with $5 and $10 minimum bids. On the organic
    side, you need unique search engine food to appear in the listings.

The 'easy fix' that you hear sometimes is to just go grab some free articles
    from somewhere and post them.

The problem with that is Duplicate Content. If yours is the same as some other
    web page, it won't show up in Google's organic search results and it could even
    hurt your AdWords Quality Score.

How sensitive is Google to Duplicate Content? Here's how I found out:

If you have a Gmail account and you have an email conversation thread, Gmail
    actually detects the Duplicate Content between each emails and hides it. You
    can actually see what Google defines as "Duplicate Content" right there in front
    of your eyes.

And you know what Duplicate Content actually is?

DUPLICATE CONTENT IS:

ANY TWO SENTENCES THAT ARE IDENTICAL.

The bar is actually kind of high, isn't it?

If you want to recycle existing content for use on your site, it has to be
    thoroughly re-worked. Huge task if you have to do it manually.

There are alternatives to help you do this. Jason Potash created a software
    system for it. Jason wanted me to evaluate it.... but being a very experienced
    web guy myself, I wanted an opinion from someone who's less experienced.

I tapped my friend and student John Fancher. John got the software, put it to
    work, and here's the exact, unedited text of the email he sent back to me:

"I thought the content editor interface was really easy to understand and
    use. Cool tools (thesaurus, adsense checker) that are a snap. Very intuitive...I
    love the suggestions at the bottom. What could be easier? The only negative is
    that the font in the editor and suggestions field is pretty rough on the eyes,
    but that probably can't be helped. I'd give this section an A-.

"The Content Transformer Template is not nearly as friendly. I can follow
    it, but all that %% backslash, = ## stuff is not much fun. It was a bit of a
    slog for me, but I get the concept and I could see how it would be a great tool
    once you get passed the learning curve (and experts wouldn't have my curve
    anyway). I'd give this section a C+.

"Help needs some editing...not always well-written or clear, especially in
    the "content transformer template" section...contains the occassional
    grammatical error. But better than most helps. B.

"Video is good. Easy to follow. Good pacing. Nice high-level overview.
    Sloppy red "telestrator" is a little annoying, but not that bad A-."

Overall, John gives it a B+. Nice work, Jason.

If you need content far speedier than writing from scratch - and gets rated as
    original content and do well in search engines - then Jason's system can speed
    things up. Get the full details at

http://www.contentcomposer dot com /go/adwords

Best of success in the war for more and better content,

Perry Marshall
  3. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Bit of advice, not to say that it is totally bull but be careful about believing an article sent to promote a product. I don't believe in automated content. It is called garbage if it isn't made by a human(sometimes it still is )

Don't use a program to make content or manipulate content.
    -DONíT BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!
  5. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Visio
    Bit of advice, not to say that it is totally bull but be careful about believing an article sent to promote a product. I don't believe in automated content. It is called garbage if it isn't made by a human(sometimes it still is )

Don't use a program to make content or manipulate content.
    Yep I agree completly with you. I cannot see how copying and rewriting content is going to improve your quality score. Which was the starting premise in the email.

There is nothing wrong with summarising and combining different sources of information and publishing the results on your website. This is to a significant degree what a lot of academic papers are. BUT it IMO is much better for the overall quality and creadability to quote your sources. This adds credence to what you have written.

Also If i am just writting quite quick short articles for article sites. I like to summarise newspaper or magazine articles (summarise and comment on) not plagarise. This IMO is far less likley to be information already on the net.

Early in my SEOing of site i tried one of those software packages called webspinner it was crap. Eneded up with garbage or it took so long it was quicker to rewrite the article myself.

Create your own qulaity conetnt and you will be better of in the longer run IMHO.

Comments on this post

• raz agrees : Good Points.
    Live the moment
  7. No Profile Picture
    Sooner Fan

Not to mention that most of the article sites require that content taken from them must be completely intact, including links and the resource area. I don't know what would happen if someone were to get caught (probably nothing other than an angry email or a ban from that article site), but manipulating someone else's work is wrong no matter how you look at it.

I've written hundreds of articles and I rarely have difficulty coming up with something fresh to write about. Even if I write something that is on the same topic of another article I wrote, I still spin it out from a different angle to make it completely unique.

As many stress here, the key to good pages is high quality original content, not computer generated pseudo-copies.
  9. SEO Monger

I recently started having 5 people write content for a few blog sites. Whose going to link to garbage? Anyways what I learned from this was that you can check google's dupe finder by gmail, i never knew that.
  11. Moderator

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    Yep I agree completly with you. I cannot see how copying and rewriting content is going to improve your quality score. Which was the starting premise in the email.

There is nothing wrong with summarising and combining different sources of information and publishing the results on your website. This is to a significant degree what a lot of academic papers are. BUT it IMO is much better for the overall quality and creadability to quote your sources. This adds credence to what you have written.

Also If i am just writting quite quick short articles for article sites. I like to summarise newspaper or magazine articles (summarise and comment on) not plagarise. This IMO is far less likley to be information already on the net.

Early in my SEOing of site i tried one of those software packages called webspinner it was crap. Eneded up with garbage or it took so long it was quicker to rewrite the article myself.

Create your own qulaity conetnt and you will be better of in the longer run IMHO.
    Good points! Would give you rep but already did

I too find it much easier to just re-write from scratch then to try and manipulate an article to look unique. gazzahk brings a good point about summarizing an already written article and commenting on it. I see some fairly large blogs that do just that throughout the whole blog and they get tons of traffic.
    Become respected and your opinion on someone elses work will be worth something. Also combining many articles(summarized) together in one post can create a linkbait because it is basically a overview of everything from one place.
    ..I hope some of that made sense
  13. Moderator

Originally Posted by kichijai
    yeah but what about duplicate articles on other sites backlinking to my site.... does that hurt my site anyhow? or should each article i post on aricle sites be unique?
    No if it did all I would have to do was submit 100s of articles under your url to get you banned right? It won't hurt you but will do precious little good.

BTW start a new thread instead of bumping old ones ;-)
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

The important thing to remember is that these programs are written to spin content for black hat "throw away" sites. Not for legitimate sites.

I don't know how much black hat has evolved in the last year or so but they basically relied on sites that would rank for low hanging search terms for periods as short as a few days to as long as a month or so until baned. The owner makes a few bucks per site but keeps generating sites at rates of up to 4-5 a day! An entirely different world to white hate SEO.

BTW: It wouldn't surprise me if this thread was started by the owner of that program!

raz
    #include <Cognac.h> -The only code I know How to Write!
  17. Mr. Goober Guy ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Fortunately, Google is not that sensitive to duplicate content. Perry Marshall is an expert in PPC marketing, but I'd be very skeptical as noted when it comes to what goes into developing a site built for ranking in the search engines.

The point with content is creating quality and unique formulations built around a subject matter. Good structure will allow you to effectively include your keywords and in the end, create a highly relevant content piece you can implment within your site.

Automated anything, when it comes to developing and marketing a website, is an invitation to problems, especially if you're depending upon that software to do the job for you.
    Cheerios!

New to SEO? See the FAQ!

My Disclaimer:
    Don't Listen To Me - I know nothing!