Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Duplicate Content on different web sites

Hello everyone!

My question is on duplicate content on different web sites.

Iam working on a new site that has duplicate content which I took from another site that I also manage. Problem is when I submitted the new site to Google, only the index page gets indexed. Is it possible that its due to duplicate content?

I am currently new in SEO, --need help badly-- thanks!
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I would suggest you go with a single one if both of them are duplicate content. Put a permanent 301 redirect on the low PR site of yours and concentrate on the high PR one. Otherwise one of them might get banned (completely removed from the index) by G.

Something is better than nothing!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Not a Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by SEOgreenhorn
    Hello everyone!

My question is on duplicate content on different web sites.

Iam working on a new site that has duplicate content which I took from another site that I also manage. Problem is when I submitted the new site to Google, only the index page gets indexed. Is it possible that its due to duplicate content?

I am currently new in SEO, --need help badly-- thanks!
    it's too risky and dengerous.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks for that advice. However I do have a follow up question.

How does Google treat duplicate content such as articles distributed to publishers? Basically arent these considered as duplicate content?

Thanks again!
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Problem is when I submitted the new site to Google, only the index page gets indexed. Is it possible that its due to duplicate content?
    The short answer is NO ... this is not because of duplication.

Very often with new sites, Google will index the home page only, then not return for a month or two. You can shorten this by getting links to your site from other websites.

As links are found, deeper pages will be indexed with each visit by Googlebot, until your whole site is listed.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by SEOgreenhorn
    How does Google treat duplicate content such as articles distributed to publishers? Basically arent these considered as duplicate content?
    I don't think anyone knows for sure how Google treats this kind of duplicated content, but the general consensus is that the website that provides the content initially won't get penalised, but the website that replicates it might be penalised. So if you're repliacting content then you should maybe use the robots.txt file to stop the bots from accessing the duplicated content or your entire site might get banned or penalised.
  13. The BIG Lion of SEO

I can assure you that Duplicate content has nothing to do with it. I have a number of websites competing for the same keywords with the exact same content. However, this will become an issue if a complaint is made to Google that you stole content.

The reason for your home page being indexed but not the rest might rather be low PR and no deep links. Rather look on improving that.
  15. Permanently Banned

I don't think duplicate content is the reason for only the index page getting indexed - that's probably because it's a new site and you don't have many incoming links.

But your site can definitely get banned for duplicating content, so if i were you i'd definitely stop doing that.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I work for a company that has several sites that duplicate content nearly word for word. 2 sites show well in google and the other engines. One or two other sites only show in msn or yahoo. We've been differentiating the content on one of the 2 main sites and it has made a large difference in rank for that site in Google, Yahoo and to a lesser extent, msn. We plan to differentiate the other sites as we get time. Our lesser sites now only show for very specific (i.e. exact product term or phrase) in Google but not for any of our main categories (though they do quite well in MSN, disappeared in Yahoo for site wide cross links- we're fixing now).

Bottom line: I think duplicate content can hurt you too, it may not be an outright ban but you get penalized. Avoid it whenever possible.
  19. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by big-bad-burrow
    But your site can definitely get banned for duplicating content, so if i were you i'd definitely stop doing that.
    I have never seen a site banned for duplicate content. You can have pages dropped but this can be avoided by "wrapping" the reused content with your own html.

When people talk about a DMOZ clone getting "banned" what is actually happening is it is deindexed. This is because the entire site is the same as an existing site.

Banned is a whole other thing and will not happen from using an article or other piece of previously used content.

THose who understand how to use syndicated content are benefitting greatly from it.
  21. Permanently Banned

I have never seen a site banned for duplicate content.
    I have, it happened to me! One of my clients bought a tax advice guide to put on their website, as did tens of other sites, they all got banned. I'm not just talking penalised, I'm talking total banning. Their site wasn't even coming up if it type their url.

After I blocked access to the guide using the robots.txt file they got re-listed in a few weeks, but still, if these are your money sites I wouldn't take the risk.
  23. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Duplicate content happens. The SEs have ways to deal with it. The thing that must be made clear: it is your content and your rightful use of it.

If you leave it on 2 sites expect a penalty if not outright ban.

There are things you can do to avoid this:
    meta robots noindex
    robots.txt

The best solution is to put this stuff on only one site and then direct both humans and SEs to it through 301 redirects. This also transfers PR if you care about such things.

Comments on this post

• big-bad-burrow agrees
  25. Contributing User

Originally Posted by big-bad-burrow
    I have, it happened to me! One of my clients bought a tax advice guide to put on their website, as did tens of other sites, they all got banned. I'm not just talking penalised, I'm talking total banning. Their site wasn't even coming up if it type their url.

After I blocked access to the guide using the robots.txt file they got re-listed in a few weeks, but still, if these are your money sites I wouldn't take the risk.
    Most likely a ban was was for some other reason. There are thousands of websites using "other" content and they are not penalized. Take for example news sites. Many show the same stories at the same time and all rank very highly. In my experience none of the sites using duplicate content were penalized unless of course you steal somebody's website and post an exact copy.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." -- Albert Einstein
    Travel Affiliate Program
  27. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

In fact there are probably close to millions.

If there is an automated banning mechanism for using an article or piece of content that has been also used somewhere else (regardless of the surrounding HTML) how do you explain article distribution sites like goarticles.com.

They are nothing more than duplicate content.

That just scratches the surface. I have been using what is being reffered to in this thread as "duplicate content". Not only have these sites or individual pages not been banned, I can get it to outrank the original

A blanket statement saying that using anything that has been published before will get you banned isn't correct

Comments on this post

• Chatmaster agrees : Yep, allot of logic in that!
  29. Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by faremax
    Most likely a ban was was for some other reason. There are thousands of websites using "other" content and they are not penalized. Take for example news sites. Many show the same stories at the same time and all rank very highly. In my experience none of the sites using duplicate content were penalized unless of course you steal somebody's website and post an exact copy.
    Why won't anyone believe me? lol

The site wasn't touched for months, it was ranking well, they add the new guide, they get banned within days (yes banned, in ALL search engines), I block access to the guide, they get re-listed in all search engines. That's a bit of a coinsidence if you ask me...

I'm not saying this is the same for all scenarios, but it's what happened to me first hand
    Last edited by big-bad-burrow; Aug 30th, 2005 at 11:59 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: