1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Duplicate content banned by Google?

I made duplicate pages of a few of my sites pages thinking I could get more pages indexed by Google (stupid idea). The pages had different names, but same content and different extensions (.asp and .htm). This is a new site that just got indexed for first time and just got its first PR during this crawl.

Well after the crawl, the old pages that I made duplicates for (.asp) still have a PR0, all other pages got a new PR. Most of these pages were my most important pages, including my sitemap and main location page. Homepage is still doing good, didn't make duplicate for it.

Anyways, I think the lesson I learned and wanted to share (if you didn't already know) is to never have pages that have the same content on them, even if you change the page's name and extension. I have also removed the duplicate pages (if you were wondering). Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? Is this a known no-no?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Why should people want to duplicate pages...

To make other pages with another tiltle and get more
    hits with those target words ?

Making exactly duplicate pages....

How would your visitors think getting the same page with another extention ? (since if they are listed they can be found)

Just make pages with different content..and put different target
    words for that page....

regards, hans
  5. iTamer

One reason to have duplicate pages is to have "printer friendly" versions. I'm just about to put a noindex on my printer - unfriendly version. Basically the user can trawl through 11 pretty pages or view one huge page. Ultimately the same content tho'. It's not always spamming the SEs!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by "sarahk"

One reason to have duplicate pages is to have "printer friendly" versions. I'm just about to put a noindex on my printer - unfriendly version. Basically the user can trawl through 11 pretty pages or view one huge page. Ultimately the same content tho'. It's not always spamming the SEs!
    Duplicate pages are exactly the same pages...
    A printer friendly version will have the same text...but not a
    description, keywords, you name it...to rank that page...
    (noindex, nofollow..... tag for sure to be honest)

So you can't compare it .....

Or you use it as a service....for visitors to print it out...
    without the page indexed....or you use it as a duplicate to
    spam a SE.... there is no middle way...

regards, hans
  9. iTamer

Oh!

My printer friendly pages use the same header script as everything else so they get all the meta tags. better get that sorted!

thanks
  11. Contributing User

The reason I added muliple pages with same content was so I would have more pages on my site. I keep reading that the more pages you have, the more Google thinks you are important. Is this true?

Thanks!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by "ksoper78"

The reason I added muliple pages with same content was so I would have more pages on my site. I keep reading that the more pages you have, the more Google thinks you are important. Is this true?

Thanks!

one word: BAD.... so remove those....
    (i got 1 page websites....ranked no 1 so thats no problem)

seeing your page.....
    <title>Vacation Timeshare Rentals : Timeshares rental : Rent time shares</title>

sure there are more words important !!!!

<META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="timeshare rentals vacation timeshares rent time shares rental promotions classifieds share ads resorts owner travel resort">

this one very long keyword phrase......wow.... you might want to
    seperate some with a ,space

just some hints...don't know how you think about it...
    but let me hear.....

regards, hans
  15. Contributing User

Thanks for the info Hans, but the reason I do not put commas in my keyword tags is because this limits you. By not putting commas, you are getting more possible keyword combinations and search engines don't really care too much about them anyways. So not really a big deal.

The title includes all my important keywords in them and still kinda sounds acceptable (notice I sound kinda). These are the most frequently used keywords for what I do.

I have already removed the duplicate pages, but thanks again for the info!
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What about putting up similar sites with the same basic content but changing the layout, the title and the <h2> tags?
  19. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi,
    I have a question that has been bothering me for some time now,
    It is related to the duplicate content penalty from google in the context of subdomains and databases, let me explain.

At Google Guidelines There is a guideline that says

Don't create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with substantially duplicate content.

What does substantially duplicate content mean exactly ?

My website has 2 subdomains on which the same content is shown with different themes (look and feel). The main entry page of my website clearly allows the visitor to optionaly try a different look and feel - one without images and one with lots of images, what I mean is that the main page has links to the 2 subdomains and explains to the visitor that the subdomains will provide a different experience of the website.

The differnt looks on the 2 subdomains have totally different main menus, navigation, blocks, filenames etc and on first look will appear totally different websites, but they share a common database from which the content is displayed (yes, they are dynamically generated)

All my pages on both domains are successfully indexed by the search engines including google. My conceren began after I read the guideline from google, Am I doing something wrong ?

I don't want to be changing my site design for the vague searchengine guidelines unless I am sure that my fear is based on real facts and not vague superstitions about google penalties !

In any case, the mother of all guidelines says

Design your pages for users and not for searchengines
    So I really do not think changing my design for the searchengines is a good idea ;-)

I wish to know if anyone has experience regarding this, could this be sufficient reason for a penalty,

Any light on this issue will be greatly helpful,

Thanks.