1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

duplicate content across multiple web sites

hi all,

What is everyone's thoughts on having duplicate content across a few web sites?

Right now I manage two web sites for a company (the company split into two companies rencently for tax purposes. . .) that sells shipping supplies. I have both sites running off of the same products database, so the content of the product pages on both sites are the same.

Will google index the product pages of both sites? could both sites get totally banned?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

i think a lot of sites do that:

examples:
    http://www.modells.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=726617&cp=711651
    http://www.oshmans.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=726617&cp=711651

and
    http://www.footlocker.com/catalog/productdetail.cfm?TID=5555-10220315242110150440998-0&supercat=home&model_nbr=40689&sku=05 931011&module=home&action=view&zone=1& amp;grid=3
    http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/productdetail.cfm?TID=8035-04220315240104150446823-0&supercat=home&model_nbr=40689&sku=05 931011&module=home&action=view&zone=1& amp;grid=1

5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

lowell,

Duplicate content on multiple sites is quite common for site that want to expand there reach in the search engines. There are several reasons why you would want to do this, and why you would NOT. If you have really good content, then its a option to put it on multiple domains. It just depends. I recently came across a respected and very established site that has about 6 other websites with the same content. Just changed the domain name, added some new logos, etc.. and bang instant website. Its funny, I did a search for this website on popular key terms in there market, and all there 6 sites ranked one after another. Main sites, sites 1-6 in the results.
    Annoying, and in my opinion they overused and abused the results. Good tactics, yes for sure, as for spamming in my opinion they just came from respected to disgraced.
    If doing an additional site for your company I would reccommend modifying the content a bit so that it doesn't look the exact same. Most Search engines are not dumb, and bots are getting smarter. They might pick up on the same content eventually.
  7. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Re: duplicate content across multiple web sites

Originally posted by "lowell"

hi all,

What is everyone's thoughts on having duplicate content across a few web sites?

Right now I manage two web sites for a company (the company split into two companies rencently for tax purposes. . .) that sells shipping supplies. I have both sites running off of the same products database, so the content of the product pages on both sites are the same.

Will google index the product pages of both sites? could both sites get totally banned?
    "Duplicate Content" may not be totally accurate.

An example -- two independent site designs with the same text may not be duplicated.

To be awarded a duplicate content penalty both site's raw source codes would be identical or quite similar.

If the content arrangement is different > e.g. a side menu on one site is left > or the other right side the raw code is arranged differently. Adding changes to to Meta Tags, and titles also differentiate the sites.

Obviously "unique" content is better but just the same simple alterations in the users interface avoids penalities.

Also take a hint from News Agencies that publish the same story. The text is near identical > but they do quite fine...

The user interface differentiate the story, and crosslinking is never a factor.

e.g. page 5 on site #1 linked to page 5 on site #2 is bad... but page 5 on each site linking to mainpage on the other is better... and the more unique "non-crosslinked" you have going to each site (independently) makes each structure unique.
  9. No Profile Picture

Interlinking... Doorway pages and same content!

My two websites www.life-assurance-bureau.co.uk and www.cheap-term-life-insurance-quotes.co.uk both have different home pages and are optimised for different things.

HOWEVER i use the same information menu content will this get me banned?

Finally I also have added a link on each door way page on one site to the home page of the other site and vice versa..... very checky i know but will i get in trouble for it?

My main keyword is very very very competitive and all the 1st page entries have like a 7 or an 8 page rank so whats a guy to do....

Any ideas guys or just general feed back would be good.
  11. Contributing User

I have a few sites that use similar content. I want to keep Googlebot from some of the pages that are duplicates and that I cannot (or don't want to) change.

Does Googlebot obey the <meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow"> tag?

Is there a way to put a nofollow command at the link?