1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Duplicate Content?

Hello all, new to the board here -

Question: The company I am working for (just started) has an affiliate model wherein
    they offer cloned versions of their website. All the affiliate has to do is tell this company
    what word to place in front of the domain name, and they are given that as a sub-domain.
    For example, www.widgets.com might become - for the affiliate - www.wholesale.widgets.com. All of these
    cloned sites are hosted on the same server off the same IP.

The affiliate close site is identical to the main site except for a change in the header graphic reflecting the
    different name. There are at present around 30 of these cloned affiliate sites.

My question is, isn't this creating duplicate content as far as Google is concerned (multiple instances of
    the same content)? The urls are all the same, across the board, for each site. The main site has indexed very well (16,000 pages indexed) but ranks poorly - in fact, one of the affiliates ranks much better than the main site because - I assume - they placed a critical keyword in their sub-domain. I also wonder whether the main site will have problems getting their own pages to rank well because, even if they optimize the pages, there are cloned pages already ranking well and Google won't include the new main site pages in the SERP because of duplicate content.

Thoughts?

Thanks much
    Mguru2004
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

just dont link to the sub domains and you should be fine...
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

My question is, isn't this creating duplicate content as far as Google is concerned (multiple instances of
    the same content)? The urls are all the same, across the board, for each site. The main site has indexed very well (16,000 pages indexed) but ranks poorly - in fact, one of the affiliates ranks much better than the main site because - I assume - they placed a critical keyword in their sub-domain. I also wonder whether the main site will have problems getting their own pages to rank well because, even if they optimize the pages, there are cloned pages already ranking well and Google won't include the new main site pages in the SERP because of duplicate content.
    I did the ame thing and now I'm fixing it because it doesn't work. With duplicate content I'm running into my affiliate pages throwing my site out of the index and replacing my pages with theirs. It all depends what affiliate Google stumbles upon first. This used to never be a problem until Google changed their algo about 4 months back.

I would definately NOT recommend doing this because your clients are going to be fighting each other and blaming you as to why someone else is in that spot and not them.
    -PK
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

BTW you can prevent spiders from indexing the subs using the robots.txt file but I dont know what your offering your cusomters. Some I'm sure will have a problem with that.
  9. visiting Margaritaville
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

The first thing you should realize is that after this past weeks PR/IBL update, google ran a duplicate content filter that wiped hundreds of thousands of listings. This is now a proven fact in a case study performed at webworkshop by all it's forum members.