1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Duplicate content?

Hi,

Starting to read about SEO and arrived at the part "duplicate content"
    I have a wordpress site about scale modelling.
    I got different static posts for some vehicles:
    - one about the finished (built) scale model
    - one for the build log summary
    - one for information about the vehicle
    Please see here:
    http://www.militaryscalemodelling.com/m270-mlrs-finished-model/finished-models
    In the red widget you can navigate to the "information & Specifications" post and the "build log summary" post.

let take the M270 MLRS as an example (vehicle)
    I know from experience that people might search for things like
    - M270 mlrs build (SE should show the build log post)
    - m270 build (SE should show the "build log summary" post)
    - m270 finished (SE should show "finished" post)
    - m270 specifications (SE should show the "information & Specifications" post)

Thats why I thought, months ago, that three different type's of posts would be the best option.....
    In each post the words M270 MLRS etc show up a lot, but the content is different.

What would you guys do? keep three different posts, or put EVERYTHING in one single post?
    I have seen this mentioned in the SEO guides, but would it be wise with those three different keyword focusses (build, finished, specifications)?

Help is greatly appreciated

Thanks a lot!
  3. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Boris,

This is not about duplicate content, since your posts are in fact different.

You have other issues here though. For starters:

1. Your title tags do not target effectively target the keywords you hope to rank for. Once you change your <title> tags to include specific keywords, your rankings should improve significantly. The closer this or that keyword is to the beginning of the title tag, the greater the ranking impact for that keyword, usually.

2. Some of your posts have no text content. Add relevant text them. Write naturally, but make sure the keywords appear in the text.

3. Include relevant keywords in your images' Alt parameter.

4. Do not include enormous numbers of linked images on a page. Google recommends using no more than 100 links per page, and you have well in excess of that. Instead, paginate them (but be sure to include URL canonicalization).

I hope this helps!

(As a moderator, I will point out for future reference that you are allowed to post your URL only in the Site Review subforum, but I'll ignore it this time -- just keep it in mind. )
    Last edited by PhilipSEO; Nov 28th, 2012 at 07:00 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by PhilipSEO
    Boris,

This is not about duplicate content, since your posts are in fact different.

You have other issues here though. For starters:

1. Your title tags do not target effectively target the keywords you hope to rank for. Once you change your <title> tags to include specific keywords, your rankings should improve significantly. The closer this or that keyword is to the beginning of the title tag, the greater the ranking impact for that keyword, usually.

2. Some of your posts have no text content. Add relevant text them. Write naturally, but make sure the keywords appear in the text.

3. Include relevant keywords in your images' Alt parameter.

4. Do not include enormous numbers of linked images on a page. Google recommends using no more than 100 links per page, and you have well in excess of that. Instead, paginate them (but be sure to include URL canonicalization).

I hope this helps!

(As a moderator, I will point out for future reference that you are allowed to post your URL only in the Site Review subforum, but I'll ignore it this time -- just keep it in mind. )
    Dear Philip,

Thank you for helping me out! really appreciate it.
    I understand point 1, I realized that after reading seoMOZ guide, but wanted to wait with changing it. First I need clearance on this.

Point 2:
    True, on some posts I have very little words, wil, try to figure that out.

point 3:
    This needs better explanation for me. I use two ways to display images:
    - embed them manually
    - Include a gallery
    I've got a plugin that should automatically change the pictures title to an Alt tag.
    How can I check if it works?

Point 4:
    So a gallery with >100 pictures is a no-go? What do you mean by this: "Instead, paginate them (but be sure to include URL canonicalization)"
    Should I create several posts if I have like 300 pics of a subject?

Sorry for adding the link, but how could you be able to help me without it?

Thanks again Philip! I hope you'll answer again
  7. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Point 3:

I check a few images and they do have their alt tags set. However, I noticed that many of the images have identical alts. It is best if they are unique, even if the keyword you use is the same. The basic structure can be like this:

keyword + differentiating part

(Again, it is best if the target keyword is at the beginning).

But alt tags are NOT a priority, don't worry about them too much. Your title tags are much more important.

Point 4:

For an example of pagination see Google itself: it displays 10 results per page by default and numbers the SERP pages: 1, 2, 3 etc. You can follow the same principle, but put the following code in the <head> of each page:

<link rel="canonical" href="[URL of Page] 1">

(This way only page 1 will come up in search results and not pp 1 and 2).

----

A further point while we are at it. You have this linking structure at the top of your page:

More of the M270 MLRS:
    - Infor*ma*tion & Spec*i*fi*ca*tions
    – Build Log Sum*mary
    – Build Log Part 1
    – Build Log Part 2
    – Fin*ished!!

Instead, consider putting relevant keywords (for which you want the target pages to rank) right into the links, and this will help tie the keywords to the taget pages. (This principle works for all your onsite linking.) It might look something like this:

More of the M270 MLRS:
    - M270 MLRS Infor*ma*tion & Spec*i*fi*ca*tions
    – M270 MLRS Build Log Sum*mary
    – M270 MLRS Build Log Part 1
    – M270 MLRS Build Log Part 2
    – M270 MLRS Fin*ished!!

Or whatever keywords you are going for (again, best put the keyword at the beginning of the link's anchor text).

All this should help your rankings. Goog luck!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks Philip! that is some really usefull information for me

Point 3:
    Ok, I understand. It is weird tho, the M270 MLRS page shows the same alt tag everywhere, while other pages of finished models show different alt tags for images. So something went wrong.. will have to check that.

Point 4:
    Ah I got it, I read about that in the guides as well! thanks for confirming.

Thanks on the linking tip! I will change that for sure.
    When we are at that point anyhow, what do you think about the names:
    – M270 MLRS Build Log Part 1
    – M270 MLRS Build Log Part 2
    The content on the posts is different but the titles are almost exactly the same. The titles are perfect for visitors since they know what part it is, but how do the search engines look at this?

Thanks for helping Philip!