1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Duplicate Content?

Does anyone know how google handles duplicate content within the same site? Here is the scenario. I want to make a site that has multiple vertical blocks of content. Letís say that my website shows one block of content on the left that contains my own news articles. Now this block of content will show on just about every page on the right or left depending on how I feel. Will google get mad that the same content is on every page?

Thanks for your help.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Would you enjoy reading a magazine that had the same thing written on each page? I think no! And what would you do with that magazine? I think dump it in the bin. Google also thinks this way. Instead of dumping it in the bin, though, Google will just dump it in the supplemental results, but they're a little like a bin.
    Last edited by seogoat; Nov 15th, 2008 at 11:28 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Exactly... You need to reduce your menu and make your content more significant. Otherwise, these pages won't get indexed properly. Google is getting smarter!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by vblord1
    Does anyone know how google handles duplicate content within the same site? Here is the scenario. I want to make a site that has multiple vertical blocks of content. Letís say that my website shows one block of content on the left that contains my own news articles. Now this block of content will show on just about every page on the right or left depending on how I feel. Will google get mad that the same content is on every page?

Thanks for your help.
    if the block of content you speak of is small - let's say just 5-10 links to your own news articles - it shouldn't be an issue. but if the block contains full text or large chunks you could run into some issues.
  9. No Profile Picture

Wow... what a verity of responses. I guess what I am talking about is 3 - 5 lines of text... not much. Basically, all I wanted was my top news stories to be summarized in a small section on the side of every page of the site. I understand that so many people now a days say... just write content to what the users will want to see. I am not concerned about that here. I want to keep my articles in front of their face on every page... but at the same time, i don't want to piss off google. vanblick, do you too think that google will not index me if i do this?
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by vblord1
    Wow... what a verity of responses. I guess what I am talking about is 3 - 5 lines of text... not much. Basically, all I wanted was my top news stories to be summarized in a small section on the side of every page of the site. I understand that so many people now a days say... just write content to what the users will want to see. I am not concerned about that here. I want to keep my articles in front of their face on every page... but at the same time, i don't want to piss off google. vanblick, do you too think that google will not index me if i do this?
    One other suggestion would be for you to show us the website so we can give you a full review. It's up to you!

Comments on this post

• JagNet : (0) members must have a minimum of 30 posts before requesting a review in the Site Reviews forum
  13. No Profile Picture

how about duplicate contents in different domain? can we make the content different byinsert some words in the contents?
  15. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

I think that you have to think about your visitors. I personaly wouldnt like a site with duplicate content on every page. If you structure your site properly and make the navigation easy you should be able to divert attention to content that you want seen. Just placing the content that you want seen on every page you are cutting corners and this will effect you users experience which after all is far more important than what the search engines think!