1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Dropped in rankin, due to Trojan?

Had a Trojan running through some pages of my site, which seems to have disappeared after I took measurements.

May this have something to do with the fact that I dropped drastically in the rankings? For all of my key words, I dropped and the main one I basically dropped out of sight, after having ranked on page 2 or 3 for over a year.

Thanks for any input.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by limbo
    Had a Trojan running through some pages of my site, which seems to have disappeared after I took measurements.

May this have something to do with the fact that I dropped drastically in the rankings? For all of my key words, I dropped and the main one I basically dropped out of sight, after having ranked on page 2 or 3 for over a year.

Thanks for any input.
    Dont have much idea about this, but never thought of viruses and trojan affecting ranks in any ways. No, i dont think so it has anything to do with your rankings. Please correct me if i am wrong here.
    Upload Music - My Friend's Musical Passion!
    SEO Chat FAQ's
    Worried About PR? Read This First!
    Fools rush in where angels fear to tread!
  5. No Profile Picture

>>Trojan running through some pages of my site<<
    Can you explain this thing ?? because as far as i know ... trojans are like .exe (executable) files ... they might run on your server .. but its not possible to run that on your pages ... and if it was like with the help of some java script and explorer exploit you were attacking the system of visitor .. then i think it was a good reason your ranking got dropped. ..
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I've seen some sites that a spammer/bh gets access to because of novice acct setup and using passwords like 'god' or 'password1' that are wide open. There are also ways to redirect traffic using several different methods.

Both can lead to a trojan being installed.

What this means (in some cases) is that an exe file is attached to the page and anyone going to the page will automatically start downloading and installing a program used to mine personal information.

If google tries to crawl your site and identifies an auto-exe file they will normally chalk it up to blackhat and a violation of their TOS and deindex or ban you completely, not just one page or one keyword.

Install google's webmaster cental site verification and request a crawl (provided you have an xml sitemap to submit) and it will identify the problem.

Sounds more like a duplication penalty to me though.

GaryTheScubaGuy
  9. amitverma.org

Originally Posted by limbo

Thanks for any input.
    Has your site tagged by Google? like "This site may harm your computer". That will drop your traffic but not sure about rankings.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by GaryTheScubaGuy
    I've seen some sites that a spammer/bh gets access to because of novice acct setup and using passwords like 'god' or 'password1' that are wide open. There are also ways to redirect traffic using several different methods.

Both can lead to a trojan being installed.

What this means (in some cases) is that an exe file is attached to the page and anyone going to the page will automatically start downloading and installing a program used to mine personal information.

If google tries to crawl your site and identifies an auto-exe file they will normally chalk it up to blackhat and a violation of their TOS and deindex or ban you completely, not just one page or one keyword.

Install google's webmaster cental site verification and request a crawl (provided you have an xml sitemap to submit) and it will identify the problem.

Sounds more like a duplication penalty to me though.

GaryTheScubaGuy
    Hi Gary,

Thnaks for your input. It seems it was a Trojan on my notebook, not on the server. (what server would admit to a Trojan anyway?) This has been sorted and I also managed my site verification. How do I request a crawl?

It seems that the drop in rankings may have been caused by changing notebooks, on my old notebook I was running a Dreamwaever 8 version and on my new otebook I'm running a Dreamwaever MX version.

During importing the website, there may have been some files added that weren't on the old notebook file site. I'm trying to sort out what's on the new site that shouldn't be there, or rather, that wasn't on the previous file list. I hope this still makes sense.

Like, one folder is called '_baks', which wasn't listed on the previous notebook, also a folder named 'MM_CASETEST4219' is new.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by mit
    Has your site tagged by Google? like "This site may harm your computer". That will drop your traffic but not sure about rankings.
    Hi mit,

It doesn't look my site has been tagged.